2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Do The Copies Destroy A Style?
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2008, 01:02 PM
Instructor
I posted this in another topic but I was thinking that it deserves a topic:

It always happen that there are bands that sound similar. I remember when grunge was the most popular style we had lots of bands with the same sound. I really enjoy some of the copies... for example I like Stone Temple Pilots and Silverchair's first album. However Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam weren't guilty of the lots of copies. Many people said that all the grunge bands sound the same and that it was shxxt because ot if.

Do the copies destroy a style? .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skipdaflip
Mar 27 2008, 01:12 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 27 2008, 01:02 PM) *

It always happen that there are bands that sound similar. I remember when grunge was the most popular style we had lots of bands with the same sound. I really enjoy some of the copies... for example I like Stone Temple Pilots and Silverchair's first album. However Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam weren't guilty of the lots of copies. Many people said that all the grunge bands sound the same and that it was shxxt because ot if.

I don't mind when someone produce some same kind of music. It's fun to hear wich band inspired the band you just bought or heared.
I just added the latest album of Dream Theater - Chaos Theorie to my collection. One song on this album is just like a Muse song. They also use the same keyboard sound Muse used. Some other songs of them remind me to other bands either.

They're not Gods that created all the music them selves. They also need to be inspired and they also learn from other bands too. The same as us here.

And do the copies destroy a style? No way... I loved Nirvana and bought all their albums and bootlegs (I had about 60 cd's of Nirvana at the time). I loved Silverchair, but didn't like Bush. I think Soundgarden had a different sound to me at that time. So it didn't matter to me then.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skipdaflip: Mar 27 2008, 01:15 PM

--------------------
Can anyone rate me?

Guitars:
• Ibanez S5470 TKR Prestige
• Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Air Norton & Dimarzio Tone Zone
• Washburn D10SCE WALNUT DREADNOUGHT SOLID TOP
• Some kind of cheap Guitar...

Amps:
MARSHALL JTM30

Guitar Gear:
Line6 X3 Live
Boss AC-3

Gear:
Edirol UA-25 24 bit/96 kHz USB Audio Capture
Edirol PC-50 MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland HP203-ERW
Behringer B-1

+Quote Post
Old School Rocke...
Mar 27 2008, 02:48 PM
I say no and yes to this question mostly because i think that if your inspired by somebody then yes you can copy or "reproduce" "imitate" there sound is ok. But if a band is just in it for they're five minutes of fame then i say no its not alright.

IDK man, this is a tough question i think theres just such a fine line between "imitating" something to make it your own and "copying" something so you can get that same five minutes of fame which i think alot of really modern bands that just came about do, it seems like nothing is new now-days. Thats why i stick with classic rock.

My 2cents

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2008, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (skipdaflip @ Mar 27 2008, 09:12 AM) *
I don't mind when someone produce some same kind of music. It's fun to hear wich band inspired the band you just bought or heared.
I just added the latest album of Dream Theater - Chaos Theorie to my collection. One song on this album is just like a Muse song. They also use the same keyboard sound Muse used. Some other songs of them remind me to other bands either.

They're not Gods that created all the music them selves. They also need to be inspired and they also learn from other bands too. The same as us here.

And do the copies destroy a style? No way... I loved Nirvana and bought all their albums and bootlegs (I had about 60 cd's of Nirvana at the time). I loved Silverchair, but didn't like Bush. I think Soundgarden had a different sound to me at that time. So it didn't matter to me then.

I agree with you. I also enjoy trying to find the influences when I hear a band. Dream Theater always uses different influences in a very clever way. Othere example: The first guitar and bass riffs of the song Home from the album Metropolis Part 2 is very similar toa song from the band TOOL.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 27 2008, 03:13 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
To me honestly it doesnt matter, You will always have eltists who have to have such a strict definition of music is in order for them to enjoy it.

I say, sit back, relax, and enjoy. If you like it, love it, or whatever, Who cares eh? cool.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 27 2008, 03:59 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 27 2008, 03:13 PM) *
To me honestly it doesnt matter, You will always have eltists who have to have such a strict definition of music is in order for them to enjoy it.

I say, sit back, relax, and enjoy. If you like it, love it, or whatever, Who cares eh? cool.gif

I'll just agree with you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2008, 08:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 27 2008, 11:13 AM) *

Well said!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Mar 27 2008, 09:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 27 2008, 11:13 AM) *

+1 wink.gif I agreeeeeee!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 27 2008, 09:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 27 2008, 02:13 PM) *

+1
Well said, bravo smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 27 2008, 09:36 PM
Atleast it shouldn't, right? If somebody says some genre of music sucks, because they all sound the same... well that's just silly talk, right?

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 27 2008, 10:48 PM
there will always be the best and then the copiers will be the "not soo good" find the best and a style will never get old.. smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Mar 27 2008, 10:58 PM
there are some who innovate, the rest just imitate.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Mar 27 2008, 11:01 PM
I think my love for the New Kids on the Block grew deeper after n-Sync, Backstreet Boys and 98Degrees came along. Their musical mastery gives me tingles.....or was that nausea!!!!

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2008, 11:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Maximus @ Mar 27 2008, 07:01 PM) *
I think my love for the New Kids on the Block grew deeper after n-Sync, Backstreet Boys and 98Degrees came along. Their musical mastery gives me tingles.....or was that nausea!!!!

laugh.gif sometimes the pass of time makes us discover that things wasn't as bad as we thought...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Mar 28 2008, 12:12 AM
At least to an extent, copies don't kill a style but then, define copy.

Necrophagist can be called a copy of Death but anyone with anythings bad to say about Muhammed....let me know about em' so i can slap em'. Then Norther and Bodom are similar and still rock but then there is the reason I can't take most Japanese music seriously...it all sounds the bloody same!!! (Except for Galneryus and a few more)

Basicaly the line between inspiration and ripping off can be hard to see sometimes, but if it's been crossed you know it... I don't know how to describe how i feel about.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Mike Ridenour
Mar 28 2008, 12:56 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 27 2008, 01:02 PM) *

I believe musical styles are destroyed or become extinct due to progression, or in some cases digression (which is what I believe to be the case with the 1990's). If you listen to the styles of Clapton, Beck and other 60's guitarists and compare them to Hendrix toward the end of the decade, you can see that Hendrix was one of the main inspriations of the 1970's. Then you had Eddie Van Halen taking guitar playing to a whole new stylistic and technical level into the 1980's. Do you know a guitar player in the 1980's that did not tap? I didn't. Yngwie and other shred guitarists also opened up a new genre to rival 80's hair medal bands. Rock and roll was the guitar player. Then comes Nirvana in the 1990's and the art of the guitar solo died with their incarnation. Nirvana inspired a generation of guitar players to play only chords and is, in my opinion, the very reason why you can't walk into a Guitar Center to this very day and buy a pro guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo without ordering it. In the new century we seem to be going back to the 1980's and rediscovering the solo and guitar styles of Yngwie, Vai, and others. It's pretty refreshing to see us getting back to the art of guitar playing.

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Mar 28 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure that too much focus on the actual guitar playing is a good thing. I think that was one of the things that actually wrecked heavy metal during the late eightes and certainly it's one of the reasons grunge became so popular. Loads of people bitch about if they're good guitar players or not when the real question should be, are they good song writers or not. There's loads of guitar players I've heard throughout the years who are excellent on a technical level but couldn't write a good song to save their lives. Give me a great song writer instead of a technical virtuoso any day I say.

When it comes to copies destroying a style, I'm not sure. I do think a genre can become oversaturated with people basically doing the same thing, the "eightes style" is a good example of that. If you try to make music in that vein today it will just sound hideously old, at least to my ears.
But I also think a style can be destroyed by one or a few really awesome bands. What I'm getting at here is that if a few bands do one style really really well it can be very hard for other bands to follow. I would for example never attempt to write anything that sounds like the gothenburg sound since all those bands that started the genre like Dark tranqullity and In flames were so insanely good at what they did. If I tried I'd just come off as a hack. Better to aim for a style that hasn't either been oversaturated or really dominated.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
skipdaflip
Mar 28 2008, 09:44 AM
I think when a band imitates another band, not influenced by their style or song.. but just a copycat... then I think their out of own inspiration. And then no respect.
Somethimes (Not often) I hear a cd that could be just ONE OF the cd's of the bands they've imitated. Then I disrespect the band and won't buy it.

But influenced by a band or Genre is another thing to me. Just like I've got influenced by you Teachers here...
I think a lot of material up here is played in your own kind of style. Some I like, some don't. But it will certeanly influence me! wink.gif

--------------------
Can anyone rate me?

Guitars:
• Ibanez S5470 TKR Prestige
• Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Air Norton & Dimarzio Tone Zone
• Washburn D10SCE WALNUT DREADNOUGHT SOLID TOP
• Some kind of cheap Guitar...

Amps:
MARSHALL JTM30

Guitar Gear:
Line6 X3 Live
Boss AC-3

Gear:
Edirol UA-25 24 bit/96 kHz USB Audio Capture
Edirol PC-50 MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland HP203-ERW
Behringer B-1

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 28 2008, 01:37 PM
Instructor
I think that if you only know the copy, maybe this will be negative. But if you listen to the "original" maybe you will learn and understand how to choose the right music for you. And sometimes a bad copy really make shine the original...look at those million of Malmsteen's clones...there's just one king, and he's Yngwie.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 28 2008, 01:43 PM
I love grunge music over any other genre. Copies didn't kill the genre. The fact that 2 of the main grunge frontmen are dead didn't help sad.gif The 5 main grunge bands were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and Alice In Chains. These were inspired by bands like Sonic Youth, Melvins and the The Pixies and bands that were in the grunge bracket include Tad, Mother Love Bone, Green River, Temple of the Dog, Mad Season etc and then you have the modern day copies like Nickleback and Puddle of Mudd who claim to be grunge but they really aren't. Grunge was all about not following a standard. If you wanted to wear scrappy clothes and be famous you could. They didn't change their image to be big. They just wrote music that was astounding in quality. And it all started with Mudhoney's Touch Me I'm Sick. You can't beat grunge in my opinion and PearlJam are still going strong and STP have reformed for gigs so it is all good smile.gif Just need Soundgarden back now biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:32 PM