2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Long Have You Played Guitar For
liveOASISforever
Mar 24 2013, 08:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I watched a video recently that I found very interesting. It is based around the question how long have you played guitar for.

A example was giving in the video where two guitar players jam with each other. One guitarist being a lot better than the other. So the not so good player asks the question how long have you played for. The reply is three years. Wow a have played for six years a should be as good as you or better.

The guy in the video made a very good point that the guy thats played for three year might have played 4 hours everyday.Whereas the guy who has played six year has played 1 to 2 hours a day and somedays might not even played.

So when you calculate up hours played by the two guitarists the guy who has played for three years has actually played guitar for longer.

I can relate to this because I started playing guitar in 2010 and have made very little progress on the guitar.When I think about during this time to present there was so many times where I didn't even touch my guitar for like a week. Thankfully I have recently became more motivated than ever and have made more progress in the last 4 months than probally did for 2 years.

Finally I have to thank GMC for my progress this truly is an amazing site. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 24 2013, 09:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've been playing for about 6 years but not seriously until about a year and a half ago.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 24 2013, 09:47 PM
Do you ever wonder what you would be like if you had taking it seriously for those 6 years mate

+Quote Post
BTrian
Mar 24 2013, 10:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I first "started" with guitar 14 years ago, I can't even tell which small amount of that time I was doing stuff on a regular basis but still ppl. with full focus for some few years can easily play circles around me biggrin.gif

it's all about motivation

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 24 2013, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (BTrian @ Mar 24 2013, 09:11 PM) *
I first "started" with guitar 14 years ago, I can't even tell which small amount of that time I was doing stuff on a regular basis but still ppl. with full focus for some few years can easily play circles around me biggrin.gif

it's all about motivation

You are right mate.It is all about motivation.Right now I feel more motivated than ever and it feels good to be making progress in my guitar playing

+Quote Post
dcz702
Mar 24 2013, 11:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
i think it depends alot on how you learn and what you focus on, i started playing a few years ago and when i first started playing i bought a couple books acdc and iron maiden, it was real hard to learn the rythym parts at first but i finnaly got them down. then i took a look at the music and wondered about the key and how everything fit togther, then realized i had no idea what i was playing and any theory behind it. thats when i read up on the the notes key and what the sharps and flats all meant wich lead me to scales and chords key centers and all that good stuff. i spend more time learning and practicing scales and understanding music and theory and its moved me foward more than i think learning my favorite songs ever could have

+Quote Post
Jouve
Mar 25 2013, 03:05 AM
Learning Roadie
Come on! It's just silly. That mathematics don't work here. There are lots of factors influencing your learning process. I think that more important is how you spend your time, not how much you pretend practicing wink.gif

This post has been edited by Jouve: Mar 25 2013, 06:15 AM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 25 2013, 07:39 AM
QUOTE (Jouve @ Mar 25 2013, 02:05 AM) *
Come on! It's just silly. That mathematics don't work here. There are lots of factors influencing your learning process. I think that more important is how you spend your time, not how much you pretend practicing wink.gif

Yeah sure mate you are right there are lots of factors.

I was just making a general point that a think a lot of people that are not at level where they think they should be for the time they have played overlook the times they were not motivated enough to practice. As you said it is more important how you spend you're time.I have changed that recently I can see big improvements.

Cheers Sean

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 24 2013, 10:28 PM) *
i think it depends alot on how you learn and what you focus on, i started playing a few years ago and when i first started playing i bought a couple books acdc and iron maiden, it was real hard to learn the rythym parts at first but i finnaly got them down. then i took a look at the music and wondered about the key and how everything fit togther, then realized i had no idea what i was playing and any theory behind it. thats when i read up on the the notes key and what the sharps and flats all meant wich lead me to scales and chords key centers and all that good stuff. i spend more time learning and practicing scales and understanding music and theory and its moved me foward more than i think learning my favorite songs ever could have

Hi mate

Yeah have started learning more about theory here on GMC and it really does open doors. Its a lot to take in ofcourse but when you understand it is so beneficial.

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Mar 25 2013, 07:54 AM
Hey Sean,

I've been playing for a while but unfortunately I only spent maybe 1/4 of that time learning, it is really easy to just play what you already know and just fluff around, when i got my head around the patterns on the guitar and started using them to improvise is where I began to get a deeper understanding of the instrument but unless you are striving to become the best or you're just really motivated then your progress is irrelevant as I believe that you have to have fun with it.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor
It took me about 6 years to start practicing and learning consciously - 98' to '04... After that, I discovered that in order to be able to play things that I wanted to play, I needed to start practicing in some way.

Thing is, I now look back and see that I haven't spent as much time being conscious as I should've, but this is my journey and I am trying to make the best of it as I walk along smile.gif

Use your time wisely and enjoy your playing - that's what I can tell you. Don't waste time trying to fill someone else' shoes and let progress occur at YOUR pace not at someone else' smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 25 2013, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Mar 25 2013, 06:54 AM) *
Hey Sean,

I've been playing for a while but unfortunately I only spent maybe 1/4 of that time learning, it is really easy to just play what you already know and just fluff around, when i got my head around the patterns on the guitar and started using them to improvise is where I began to get a deeper understanding of the instrument but unless you are striving to become the best or you're just really motivated then your progress is irrelevant as I believe that you have to have fun with it.

I was exactly the same mate.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2013, 09:41 AM) *
It took me about 6 years to start practicing and learning consciously - 98' to '04... After that, I discovered that in order to be able to play things that I wanted to play, I needed to start practicing in some way.

Thing is, I now look back and see that I haven't spent as much time being conscious as I should've, but this is my journey and I am trying to make the best of it as I walk along smile.gif

Use your time wisely and enjoy your playing - that's what I can tell you. Don't waste time trying to fill someone else' shoes and let progress occur at YOUR pace not at someone else' smile.gif

Well said Cosmin

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 25 2013, 07:20 PM
Hey Sean,
I've been playing for over 30 years but never really spent any 'devoted' practice time except for when I first started and was learning the chords. I used to play for a minimum of 3 hours a day.
I wish I'd have had all these wonderful resources at my disposal when I first started out!! If you tried learning a tab from a Guitar magazine you never knew if you were playing it correctly unless you knew that piece/solo or whatever. They didn't come with CD's on the cover or anything back then!!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 25 2013, 07:21 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 25 2013, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 25 2013, 06:20 PM) *
Hey Sean,
I've been playing for over 30 years but never really spent any 'devoted' practice time except for when I first started and was learning the chords. I used to play for a minimum of 3 hours a day.
I wish I'd have had all these wonderful resources at my disposal when I first started out!! If you tried learning a tab from a Guitar magazine you never knew if you were playing it correctly unless you knew that piece/solo or whatever. They didn't come with CD's on the cover or anything back then!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah that must off being hard and frustrating. Its amazing whats available now

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 25 2013, 08:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Sensible. I've been playing for more than 20 years but have only devoted somewhat brief, sporadic periods to actually practicing technique in order to really get better. I took lessons for the first year of playing then just started learning songs. Played in some bands and during that time I only practiced the cheesy covers we used to play so I really wasn't getting anywhere, just more comfortable with the guitar in general.

I haven't done the band thing for years so things had slowed way down but when I joined GMC about a year ago, it started up another period of focused practice for me and I have really enjoyed it and don't see myself slowing back down anytime soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 25 2013, 09:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
for the amount of years Ive technically been 'playing guitar' I really should be awesome mellow.gif sometimes it does get frustrating because I know I should have a lot of techniques Im struggling with just now nailed years ago if I hadnt been dicking about so much! in '97 I was in a studio recording with my old band, Ive made more progress within the last year here than I did since that time.
Much like some of the other guys, I seemed to get lost just playing stuff I could already play without pushing myself to actually improve. I'll make up for it now though cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 25 2013, 11:38 PM
Instructor
Time is no objective point of rating someones skills. Sometimes people ask me how long I play guitar...I tell them ...almost 20 years but I also add...If You want to have good skills as it goes for technique...You need only a few years of very intensive practising. But...those 20 years are not only what You can do with Your fingers...Years of playing can give something that even very talented person just can't get in only few years...and this is called expirience. You might wonder what I mean. Let's have a simple situation o jam with unknown people. When You expireinced (Are You expirienced...Jimi ha ha smile.gif You go on stage and You just know...

1. How to adjust the tone on the amp that is available..not the one You would like to have there. Everything according to the place and band You're playing with

2. You know what to play and when...not to play

3. You know how to make Your firends solo sound like solo and being heard like solo without any volume boost from his side

4. You know what to do when You're the only harmonic instrument in the band and the saxophonist plays solo

Those are only a few details that very often make those talented, playing for a few years kids with good technique poor on stage. Very often they just can't handle things that cannot be learned at home.

Another thing is that every player has various music interests through years. If You taste a bit of everything it affects Your playing and after going through different styles You combine them in Your playing...no matter if You play metal or country.

There is a ton of details...abd my only advice for young students is...respect everything...keep in mind some players play 3 notes per bar because they already played tons of notes and they choose other way. Don't judge too fast smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 26 2013, 01:38 AM
Great points Darius!! There is NO substitute for experience.
I also honed my interest in how guitars are put together, what makes them work etc as I had more interest in the Tech/Luthiering side of things and concentrated on that for more time than I did playing, mainly because :-
a) We didn't have a decent Tech in our local shop/studio so I learned to do my own set-ups and repairs and from that people started asking me to do work for them (which lead to bigger and better things for me) and
b ) I realised my limitations as a player and knew I was not going to be the player I wanted to be 'overnight'.

As Darius mentioned about tweaking your sound 'live' with the gear you have available, I had a friend (RIP Mr C) who showed me how to get a very cheap guitar and a cheap amp to sound far better than someone who had much better gear but no idea how to set it up,
Mr C was Jimmy Page's Tech for years and I value and treasure everything he ever taught me.
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 26 2013, 01:38 AM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 26 2013, 08:04 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 25 2013, 10:38 PM) *
Time is no objective point of rating someones skills. Sometimes people ask me how long I play guitar...I tell them ...almost 20 years but I also add...If You want to have good skills as it goes for technique...You need only a few years of very intensive practising. But...those 20 years are not only what You can do with Your fingers...Years of playing can give something that even very talented person just can't get in only few years...and this is called expirience. You might wonder what I mean. Let's have a simple situation o jam with unknown people. When You expireinced (Are You expirienced...Jimi ha ha smile.gif You go on stage and You just know...

1. How to adjust the tone on the amp that is available..not the one You would like to have there. Everything according to the place and band You're playing with

3. You know how to make Your firends solo sound like solo and being heard like solo without any volume boost from his side

4. You know what to do when You're the only harmonic instrument in the band and the saxophonist plays solo

Those are only a few details that very often make those talented, playing for a few years kids with good technique poor on stage. Very often they just can't handle things that cannot be learned at home.

Another thing is that every player has various music interests through years. If You taste a bit of everything it affects Your playing and after going through different styles You combine them in Your playing...no matter if You play metal or country.

There is a ton of details...abd my only advice for young students is...respect everything...keep in mind some players play 3 notes per bar because they already played tons of notes and they choose other way. Don't judge too fast smile.gif

Yeah some very good points made here mate. My old guitar teacher had spoke to me about some of these points as well.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 26 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Yeah Mr. Jones...I know what You mean smile.gif I also do most of my guitar service smile.gif And I remember when I spend about 300 or 400 $ to learn that....I'm not able to to the painting job at home. Once I've painted my Bloody Mary with nitrocellulose paint and it just couldn't dry in 100% even for a 6 months. I remember I've damaged some borrowed for the video clip cloths cause the guitar was painting everything it touched smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 26 2013, 09:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 25 2013, 10:38 PM) *

Very good points taken here man smile.gif There is no substitute for experience!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:56 PM