How Find The Right Band Members, opinions please.
Osedmen
Apr 10 2012, 12:46 PM
GMC:er

Hi everyone, how are you?

in your music carreer sometimes you feel that your band is bad because the members aren´t serious?

Tell me your opinion.

And help me with some tips , thanks!

www.youtube.com/osedmen

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 10 2012, 05:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Osedmen @ Apr 10 2012, 04:46 AM) *

in your music carreer sometimes you feel that your band is bad because the members aren´t serious?

Tell me your opinion.

www.youtube.com/osedmen

Band relationships are like family relationships ~ it's often a love / hate relationship, and there are the responsible ones always feeling like they're pulling the load while the rest just show up, and there are the ones who think they're already bringing something to the table - their talent. It's inevitable when you get 3 or 4 people together to do one thing. It's not easy, and people don't change no matter what you try.

If it's a case of lack of enthusiasm, then you need to give them something to be enthusiastic about. If it's a case of "I'm doing all the work", then you need to delegate, and those not willing to help are dead weight and should be replaced.

You're best bet is to come to terms with the fact that the band needs a leader, and since you're the one with the vision and frustration, you need to step up. Have a meeting with your band and tell them you're serious about reaching your goals and that you need help. Then lay out what is needed to reach that goal. Doing so will basically put you in a leadership role, and that's not easy because you have to stay on top of things. You set agendas, set-lists, and line up venues to play.You basically become a parent and you have to assign chores with kids who may or may not be willing.

The difference being ~ you can kick kids out of the house and adopt responsible ones. But finding new band members is VERY difficult and takes a LONG time because determining who is a responsible fit just by an audition is next to impossible. Another caveat is that every band member makes up the "sound" of your band. Replace a member, and your sound and musical taste as a whole changes. If you like what you have right now, then bite the bullet and deal with the fact that you're going to have to pull the weight yourself to keep things going, and you'll have to be diligent in delegating tasks. Hopefully others will follow suit. Generally those who just show up don't want to lead, are there just to play, but they'll generally be eager to help if you're very specific in what they should do, and that's where leadership becomes difficult ~ you have to come up with the details of what you need help with.

If it's a case of lack of enthusiasm, give them something to be enthusiastic about ~ start lining up gigs and get them to help with creating flyers and getting the word out. If it's a case of lack of responsibility, understand that you can't make people responsible - they have to want to be responsible and that is best accomplished by giving them a goal they want to reach. If they don't want to reach the band's goal, then it's time to find a band member who does want to reach that goal. You can tell if they want to reach the goal by what they are willing to do - non participating members are demonstrating they want the dream of the goal, but not the reality of it and should be replacedf (IMO).

How's your pep talk? You'll need to be enthusiastic on a regular basis. Just getting hyped one day a month isn't enough because everyone will go home happy, then the rest of the month, it's back to normal. leadership takes energy, clear thinking and achievable goals.

It's tough, especially given the fact you're likely already friends. So weigh what you want against what you're willing to give up (your band?).

I'm current the "leader" of my band, and it wasn't exactly something I was asked to do. It just came to be. When I started with this group of people, I saw voids and just started filling them. Simple voids - every band practice, we showed up and there was always indecision on what songs to learn and what song to practice next. 2 hours and 10 songs played with a lot of indecision and no one was fixing it. So I just stepped in and began creating set-lists to go over every practice. We also had a terrible singer. I'm not exactly a good singer, but I can hold a note in key ~ so I began asking if I could sing this song, and eventually became the defacto lead singer. Everyone in the band is excited because there is someone willing to step up and just do what everyone is thinking ought to be done, but too shy to step out and do it. Filling voids is how you assume an active leadership role, and having someone fill that role injects enthusiasm into everyone ~ it's odd, but true, most people want to be led. And you don't have to be vocal to do it ~ you just have to step up and do what needs to be done.

Good luck!
Chris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 10 2012, 10:41 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think Ideally you need people you personally connect with, share the same interests in musical vision. Otherwise if its a just business kind of thing it will not last.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 11 2012, 12:15 AM
Chris makes some very good points!
I'd also add this....
If you plan touring with the Band at ANY point you need to know that you all get along in confined spaces. I.E. spending a lot of travelling time in Vans, Cars, B+BH's, Motels etc.
Sometimes certain people can't travel together but will still perform brilliantly together, believe me, I went through an 18 month Tour with 4 other guys in the Band. The Drummer and the Bass Player were like twins, myself and the original guitarist were like brothers but the Singer didn't travel well with any of us and drove himself. Come "Showtime" he was always great, it's just we all needed different levels of 'Personal Space', this does carry over into a Band situation even when just writing and rehearsing. If you get the balance right it can be some of the best fun you will ever have!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Apr 11 2012, 01:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Osedmen @ Apr 10 2012, 07:46 AM) *

Tell me your opinion.

www.youtube.com/osedmen

That is one of the main reasons I left the band I was in. Too much drama and not enough practice and support of one another...EGO mountain was just too much for me to want to climb.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 11 2012, 05:52 AM
Sadly this is just part of being involved in bands and with people in general in some cases. It's rare to find folks who are all on the same page at the same time. Usually one or more band members is inches from some life altering event whether personal or job related that is about to hose a given band. The truth is, the band and the music have to be more important than any one person.

That way when someone sells all their gear for bail money, or quits playing to focus on graduating, getting more overtime, going on a mission, etc. etc. etc. The band and the music can move forward. You may find that you are the center of gravity in whatever music project you are working with and then it's sort of up to you to push/pull everyone else.

The good news is, music is worth doing. No matter what the result, the act of creation (writing music) is as close to the Divine as most of us will ever get, the act of "Practice" as a building block of character is a noble thing as well, it's not easy but that's why it builds character.

In short, yup. You may feel those around you are not "taking it seriously" etc. But always keep in mind, every gig you play is a gift. From the crowd to you, and from you to the crowd. And as they say if you want more, Give More!

Todd

QUOTE (Osedmen @ Apr 10 2012, 07:46 AM) *

Tell me your opinion.

www.youtube.com/osedmen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:18 AM