Marshall Mg100 Hdfx, how can i do to have the goo sound????
knax2
Apr 11 2009, 07:12 AM
GMC:er
hello,

i'm coming from belgium, so i apologize for my "not so good " english.

i play now for 2 years with the marshall mg100hdfx headspeaker, and i still not find the right way to have the good sound with it.

i play some metal like in flames, all that remains, dark tranquility, lamb of god, ans so much more like these.

i know that it's not the best material i can have for that style but i don't have enough money at this time to have a better one.

my guitar is a Ibanez SA .

please let me know also if i must buy some better material and what type of material i must have to play this kind of music.

i've planned to buy the Jackson SLSMG in a few month...

i will learn how to "regulate" my amp to have the best sound for this kind of music but 2 years later i'm still searching...

so can someone help me please ??

it would be nice of you 'cause i'm in a big depression....

thanks a lot in advance...

and once more, sorry for my bad english...

knax2

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Apr 11 2009, 07:21 AM
QUOTE (knax2 @ Apr 11 2009, 12:12 AM) *
hello,

i'm coming from belgium, so i apologize for my "not so good " english.

i play now for 2 years with the marshall mg100hdfx headspeaker, and i still not find the right way to have the good sound with it.

i play some metal like in flames, all that remains, dark tranquility, lamb of god, ans so much more like these.

i know that it's not the best material i can have for that style but i don't have enough money at this time to have a better one.

my guitar is a Ibanez SA .

please let me know also if i must buy some better material and what type of material i must have to play this kind of music.

i've planned to buy the Jackson SLSMG in a few month...

i will learn how to "regulate" my amp to have the best sound for this kind of music but 2 years later i'm still searching...

so can someone help me please ??

it would be nice of you 'cause i'm in a big depression....

thanks a lot in advance...

and once more, sorry for my bad english...

knax2

I hate to tell you this my friend, but I really think your problem is in your amp. The MG series is not a Marshall amp by any means. Please do not think you are playing into a real Marshall. Save your money, and get a better amp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 11 2009, 08:12 AM
Maybe try a pedal instead?

The MG's aren't that terrible, they have more than enough gain, and an EQ so you should be able to make due. Try looking at some youtube videos to learn how to adjust an amplifier to get your desired sound.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 11 2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor
I would agree with GuitarMonkey and suggest an amp switch. If you are not sure about this, I suggest you check out the stores, bring your guitar there, and try some tube amp combos. This will definitely put things more in the perspective.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 12 2009, 12:39 AM
Learning Roadie
All of the above responses are right in one way or another. I would suggest trying a pedal as SirCraigery says, the MG series isn't the greatest, but you could make do with a good pedal for metal. Try the electro harmonix metal muff.

If you're saving money for a big purchase, the SLSMG is a great guitar, I almost bought one and I know our instructor Trond uses one. But I would agree with Ivan and Guitarmonkey and say that new amp would be a much better purchase to improve your sound, and the good news is for the same price (or lower!) of buying an SLSMG, you have a great selection of amps. I don't know what you have available around you, but with such a budget there is most definitely something better than your MG. And remember, more watts does not = better, as Ivan suggested a good tube combo is probably the best way to go.

[edit] Also, the Ibanez you have is probably a pretty good guitar, but changing the pickups (if you haven't already) would also net you a big sound improvement for low cost.

This post has been edited by JVM: Apr 12 2009, 12:43 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 12 2009, 01:09 AM
JVM, that is exactly my feeling.... right down to the exact pedal biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 12 2009, 03:04 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Apr 11 2009, 08:09 PM) *
JVM, that is exactly my feeling.... right down to the exact pedal biggrin.gif

Great minds think alike smile.gif I know you're a mesa man too, if I didn't have my mesa f-30 I might still need the metal muff.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
knax2
Apr 12 2009, 06:30 AM
thank you all for your advices..

a little precision
i bought last week the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal, and it sounds pretty good for my style, but i can't adjust it with my amps.

i mean with low volume there is no problem but when i try with volume more than 5/10, it's too noisy.
i also have the BOSS noise suppressor but it changes nothing when i put everything together.

my guitar is a Ibanez SA with EMG 81 + EMG SA (2x), so i think it's good at this time.

so i'll check for a tube combo before the "famous" Jackson SLSMG ( it is sure the guitar of my dream!!!).

so once more thank you a lot for your advices and keep rockin' men !!!

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 12 2009, 04:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (knax2 @ Apr 12 2009, 01:30 AM) *
thank you all for your advices..

a little precision
i bought last week the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal, and it sounds pretty good for my style, but i can't adjust it with my amps.

i mean with low volume there is no problem but when i try with volume more than 5/10, it's too noisy.
i also have the BOSS noise suppressor but it changes nothing when i put everything together.

my guitar is a Ibanez SA with EMG 81 + EMG SA (2x), so i think it's good at this time.

so i'll check for a tube combo before the "famous" Jackson SLSMG ( it is sure the guitar of my dream!!!).

so once more thank you a lot for your advices and keep rockin' men !!!

Okay, so you have a pretty good petal and some good pickups. Definitely go for the amp then, you'll forget about the guitar (at least for a little while tongue.gif) when you hear how much your sound improves smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 12 2009, 05:13 PM
Please don't kill me but you are using the emg81/bridge pickup right? Those SA's aren't really good for metal.

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 12 2009, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Apr 12 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Great minds think alike smile.gif I know you're a mesa man too, if I didn't have my mesa f-30 I might still need the metal muff.

Yeah, the 5:50 isn't as crunchy at low volumes, so i still use it on minimum distortion at bedroom levels.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
knax2
Apr 13 2009, 05:19 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 12 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Please don't kill me but you are using the emg81/bridge pickup right? Those SA's aren't really good for metal.

- Jonas

hi jonas

i know that SA aren't the best ones to play metal but i also like to play clean melancolic and melodious songs, so i think it was the best way to have all what i need..

when i bought them it was a special pack containing all pickups and the price of this pack was interesting..

so if i would change now, which ones do you think i must buy to go with my EMG 81 to have the right sound ?

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 13 2009, 04:59 PM
QUOTE (knax2 @ Apr 13 2009, 06:19 AM) *
hi jonas

so if i would change now, which ones do you think i must buy to go with my EMG 81 to have the right sound ?
I don't think you should change your pickups at all if you are happy with them. I personally really miss a humbucker in the neck position. In your case I'd recommend you an EMG89. Its basically an EMG85 + SA in one. But I don't think you should invest into that guitar anymore. Get a good amp and then later you'll get another guitar anyway. Save up for that.

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Apr 13 2009, 04:59 PM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:38 AM