Can I Sing Well?
Sircraigery
Mar 9 2009, 05:00 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I've been singing in my truck for about a year or so.... and I decided to record it. The song is Jolene by Ray LaMontange.

Those of you that are singers, feel free to give me pointers biggrin.gif Ray is a very quiet type person, who doesn't get too excited, and that shows in his singing. I'm the same way, so the song was very fitting for me I think.

Enjoy!

(Recorded with my RG, Mesa, and snowball Mic. One take, sing and playing at the same time so there are a few mistakes smile.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 9 2009, 05:02 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jolene.mp3 ( 4.3MB ) Number of downloads: 303

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 9 2009, 05:36 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Not bad at all. wink.gif

Keep on doing what you're doing. The best tip I can give anyone starting out is to learn lots of songs, put a song set together, find what works for you and focus on expressing the mood that you want to evoke. You'll continuously get better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 10 2009, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (JamesT @ Mar 9 2009, 05:36 AM) *
Not bad at all. wink.gif

Keep on doing what you're doing. The best tip I can give anyone starting out is to learn lots of songs, put a song set together, find what works for you and focus on expressing the mood that you want to evoke. You'll continuously get better.

Thanks man, I have a playlist on my ipod (my new deck doesn't play cd's .... their outdated? haha) for this already so I guess I'm in the right direction smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
RandomVictim
Mar 10 2009, 12:32 AM
Great! Your tone kinda has a Neil Young vibe to it. very cool, keep at it
Btw: How do you like your Mesa 5:50?

--------------------

Gear

Guitars
Eric Johnson Sig Strat
Gibson SG Special
Esp Ltd EC-1000 deluxe
Larivee Acoustic
Takamine 12 String

Amps
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Line 6 Spider III HD75 head
Line 6 Spider III Cab with C30 speakers
Vox AD30
Marshall MG10

Pedals
Line 6 Pod X3
Slash Sig Wah
Dan Electro Cool Cat Chorus
Dan Electro FAB Echo
BB PREAMP!
Boss MT-2
FBV Express

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 10 2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks dudes, and yeah I love singing Neil Young, it's fairly easy for me. I think our vocal ranges are really close.

And the 5:50?.... Where's the emo-icon of that little guy drewling? haha. It's awesome man.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 11 2009, 05:30 AM
Instructor
The take is pretty good mate!! Congrats

Although sometimes you're a little low in the intonation of some notes.
And be sure to check the tuning of your guitar everytime you have to record a piece smile.gif

Keep the good work!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 11 2009, 02:02 PM
Jazz Instructor
Was that REM?smile.gif
Same voice!

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Mar 11 2009, 02:07 PM
Learning Roadie
i really like your voice! the only thing i can fault is it sounds like your struggling sith a couple of the notes, but thats probably due to breathing. theres nothing there that couldnt be fixed easily!!!
great voice man, keep it up!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 11 2009, 03:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
I really like your voice, it reminds me also of Neil Young voice a kind of country rock voice. Keep singing in your truck man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 12 2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys! All this positive feedback has got me more interested in pursuing some professional lessons. Thanks for the pointers also, I will make a note of those things to work on.

I have to credit 'Death Cab for Cutie' for my urge to sing in the first place. It started with humming haha. I've said it 1000x before, pick up their album "Plans" if you haven't already.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 12 2009, 08:31 AM
Hey mate, nice singing for sure. I listened to the full song, if you could not sing, I wouldn´t have listened to the whole thing tongue.gif Keep practicing, I hope you´ll get better and we´ll here you on the radio sometime smile.gif & try to train your breathing, a friend of mine, went to the german idol 2 times. The first time with wrong breathing he was kicked out after some shows. The second time he nailed it and got to the fifth place smile.gif He told me that it´s realy very important!

I liked it though smile.gif just trying to give some constructive criticism!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2009, 01:38 PM
Moderation Policy Director
CAVEAT - I'm no singer myself, but I did have lessons for a while ...

I think you have a pleasant sounding voice and great potential (I had neither which is why I gave up).

At the moment your biggest problem is your pitching - it needs a fair amount of work. Now part of the reason, is a lack of control because you have had no formal voice training - one of the most important things to learn is breath control, followed by better control of your vocal chord tension (which in turn helps you with breath control).

If you want to be a better singer I heartily suggest you get some professional lessons as I think you could sound great with some coaching and some focused practice (just like guitar really!) Theres no magic - you have to practice singing just as you do guitar. Singing in your truck is the equivalent of noodling along to a guitar solo - it's fun but it doesn't really help a lot with the technique.

So, get some lessons man, re-record that song in 6 months and you'll blow us all away!

By the way, I thought the recording itself was well done - good quality!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 13 2009, 02:40 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 12 2009, 01:38 PM) *
CAVEAT - I'm no singer myself, but I did have lessons for a while ...

I think you have a pleasant sounding voice and great potential (I had neither which is why I gave up).

At the moment your biggest problem is your pitching - it needs a fair amount of work. Now part of the reason, is a lack of control because you have had no formal voice training - one of the most important things to learn is breath control, followed by better control of your vocal chord tension (which in turn helps you with breath control).

If you want to be a better singer I heartily suggest you get some professional lessons as I think you could sound great with some coaching and some focused practice (just like guitar really!) Theres no magic - you have to practice singing just as you do guitar. Singing in your truck is the equivalent of noodling along to a guitar solo - it's fun but it doesn't really help a lot with the technique.

So, get some lessons man, re-record that song in 6 months and you'll blow us all away!

By the way, I thought the recording itself was well done - good quality!

This is true, good way to look at it. And gotta love the snowball mic.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:40 PM