6 [ 11 ] ** [50.00%]
7 [ 9 ] ** [40.91%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [9.09%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
thefireball
Nov 28 2010, 02:00 AM
Learning Roadie
I walked into a guitar shop today and tried out an 8 string Ibanez Guitar. It was cool, but it was a MONSTER!!! ohmy.gif And the lowest string was way too low for me. I'll definitely go for a 7 string instead. I think it will suit my needs better. Here's a video I made back in June when I first played a 7 string.

I dunno, what 7 string guitar should I get? Ibanez, LTD/ESP...?? What is your experience?

And on a side note, I put a poll in just for fun. I figure the count will be 6 outnumbering all. I think I will vote 7, since I have a taste of what if feels like. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 28 2010, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
Depends on what sounds you want to achieve, how much money you can spend an which shape you prefer...

I got a J. Custom Ibanez 7 String RG and it's an incredible guitar but it's also hard to get one and they are pretty expensive.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 28 2010, 02:38 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Any Ibanez, Dean, Or Schecter 7 strings are built extremely well and sound amazing, I own an Ibanez and Dean one and its hard to choose between the two. ESP Never felt too good to me, but its all personal preference.

As for an 8 string, I played the Ibanez 8 string when it came out, and I thought it was awesome. Surprisingly comfortable, size didn't interfere too much when you played in the classical position. Practically though, I wouldn't know what to do with an 8 string, other than play Meshuggah songs laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 28 2010, 03:36 AM
Learning Roadie
I think I'd like to stay under 1000 USD if I could. I like the soloist shape as well.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 28 2010, 04:08 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...&iscached=N

First 6 are under $1000, and all of them are excellent guitars.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 28 2010, 04:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Cool!! smile.gif You know, that first one looks like the one I saw today. That guy bought it though. I might just have the shop order one and then I can try it out...if I like it...i'll buy!! biggrin.gif But it will be a while. I'm still saving.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 28 2010, 02:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
To me 8 String guitars are pretty much useless bull****...

The lowest string is tuned to F# which is the same tone second fret on a bass guitar! The tuning is way to low to get a defined tone out of the guitar. The only bands that are capable of somehow utilising this low string are Animals as Leaders and Meshuggah - and they have to rely on modeling amps (axe Fx and Line 6 amps) because real tube amps would only produce mudd with string gauges of 10-80 or above...

And even with meshuggah or Tosin Abasi the lowest string isn't really used as traditional guitar string but more as a percussion instrument for low tones that you can pedal off onto the higher strings.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 28 2010, 04:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 28 2010, 07:02 AM) *

The lowest string is tuned to F# which is the same tone second fret on a bass guitar! The tuning is way to low to get a defined tone out of the guitar. The only bands that are capable of somehow utilising this low string are Animals as Leaders and Meshuggah - and they have to rely on modeling amps (axe Fx and Line 6 amps) because real tube amps would only produce mudd with string gauges of 10-80 or above...

And even with meshuggah or Tosin Abasi the lowest string isn't really used as traditional guitar string but more as a percussion instrument for low tones that you can pedal off onto the higher strings.

That's what I was thinking...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2010, 06:13 PM
Instructor
I would like to use a 7 string guitar, but 6 strings is enough for me. If you can't do it on 6 of them, 7th won't do good. I tend to break strings tho, and can finish gigs on 5 of them no problem. So with 7 string, I would end up with 6, which is not that bad too smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 29 2010, 12:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 28 2010, 03:02 PM) *

I support your opinion Zakk, very well put smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 29 2010, 01:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
I dont see how an 8 string is useless. Whatever creates the sound youre after! And more options, the more options smile.gif
After buying two 7 strings, I definitely prefer those. 6 strings seem so... fragile and small now. I like the wideness of the 7 string. smile.gif
I do want to try a 8 string or a 9 string (EADEADGBe.)though smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 29 2010, 01:01 AM

+Quote Post
Nielzsz
Nov 29 2010, 10:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 29 2010, 01:00 AM) *
I dont see how an 8 string is useless. Whatever creates the sound youre after! And more options, the more options smile.gif
After buying two 7 strings, I definitely prefer those. 6 strings seem so... fragile and small now. I like the wideness of the 7 string. smile.gif
I do want to try a 8 string or a 9 string (EADEADGBe.)though smile.gif

haha a 9 string.. if those things get more strings, you'll have to play on it like a piano tongue.gif ( or the strings are set up as a 12 string wink.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:39 AM