My Noisy Amp
Tele-ho
Nov 14 2007, 08:37 AM
GMC:er
Hey all at GMC.
I have a Fender 25R amp ( its solid state ), I cant seem to get the crazy thing to mellow out on the noise.
Its very quiet on the clean channel, but once I hit the gain pedal or use distortion the amp grows a mean, ugly voice of its own. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 14 2007, 08:44 AM
QUOTE (Tele-ho @ Nov 14 2007, 02:37 AM) *
Hey all at GMC.
I have a Fender 25R amp ( its solid state ), I cant seem to get the crazy thing to mellow out on the noise.
Its very quiet on the clean channel, but once I hit the gain pedal or use distortion the amp grows a mean, ugly voice of its own. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well i believe this amp is also called a 110 champion?I had one called that and it said 25r on the back.Anyway for distortion channel you should have Gain,Low,Mid High and volume controlls if this is similar to the amp i think.First make sure that your reverb is turned completly off (some reason mine did this when the reverb knob was at any level other than 0).Next if that doesnt work try and cut back on the gain like turning it to 6 and also the trebile to 6.If none of this works i think it has to do with your guitar or a cable.Let us know wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 14 2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor
Might be the ground as well.
Try to step away from amp few steps,ohh,and turn of stuff like TV etc...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Francisca
Nov 14 2007, 07:50 PM
I have a cheapo Eleca and that did the same thing. My problem was too high a tone (knob) on the selected pickup(s). I turned the tone lower and the ugly zooming (only with O.D. on) stopped.

Mine isn't exactly grounded either, oh sure it's in a grounded socket, but that particular outlet misses the ground wire (yay for housing coorporations).

This post has been edited by Francisca: Nov 14 2007, 07:52 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 14 2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Yeah,iwhen ground is bad than noise is usually related to high notes,treble and presence. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 15 2007, 02:51 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Muris @ Nov 14 2007, 09:53 AM) *
Might be the ground as well.
Try to step away from amp few steps,ohh,and turn of stuff like TV etc...

LOL sounds like a scene from "The Amp Cop"! ...With muris as the star amp-cop smile.gif

Keep your hands in the air!
Step away from the amp, a few steps!
Drop your guitar using two fingers only!

- But officer, if I drop it it may break!

Drop it or I will not hesitate to play a killer metal riff!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tele-ho
Nov 16 2007, 12:31 PM
Hey GMCers, thanks for all the info.
Im thinking it could be the ground, and then I found if I set it up on a chair the noise is almost gone.

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 16 2007, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 14 2007, 01:51 PM) *
LOL sounds like a scene from "The Amp Cop"! ...With muris as the star amp-cop smile.gif

Keep your hands in the air!
Step away from the amp, a few steps!
Drop your guitar using two fingers only!

- But officer, if I drop it it may break!

Drop it or I will not hesitate to play a killer metal riff!! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif I have no idea what you're talking about but thats pretty funny tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Nov 16 2007, 02:07 PM
If moving it around the room makes the noise die down, it's probably picking up interference from another electrical device nearby. Once in a while you'll think there's a ghost messing with your amp, when in reality there is a power line in the wall right behind it screwing with your signal.

When the guys talked about a "grounding" problem, they mean the electrical connection to the "ground", or "earth" pin on the power lead, not the physical proximity to the floor.

If your amp is a Fender Frontman 25R, you might find that (like mine) it is generally rubbish on the drive channel. I just replaced it with something better in the end.

Oh, and while this might not help... I found that if my pickup lead hung anywhere near the back of my Fender Hotrod amp, it picked up noise from the tubes. Maybe your leads are hanging close to something "noisy".

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Nov 17 2007, 10:44 AM
QUOTE (Tele-ho @ Nov 14 2007, 02:37 AM) *
Hey all at GMC.

Congratulations Tele-ho. Your guitar skill has reached the next level and you have now discovered your gear is inadequate for your skill. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, low-end amps have little to zero magnetic insulation. This problem will also magnify low-grade single coil pickups. The recommendations others gave should work. Relocating the amp is often the solution.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:01 PM