3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Wich Are Your Guitar Goals For 2008
coffeeman
Dec 11 2007, 09:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Dear Friends,

Im a believer that one should have clear goals in any aspect of live, so I invite you to write down your guitar goals for 2008. Lets split the goals in 5 items: Gear, technic, theory(scales, apregios, etc..), own style(compositions), band goals(gigs, cds, demos). The goals should be very clear , you should write a date to acomplish them , and be very specific in what you want to achieve. And it would be awesome if you write your goals in a piece of paper and you read it every day as soon as you wake up and at night before going to sleep. It would be awesome if we keep this post updated next year with the goal everyone has achieved. Try to write them in the present tense.

So its my turn here it goes:

[Gear
In june 2008 Im buying my Fender American Stratocaster Candy cola Colorwith rosewood fretboard and floyd rose and a new peavy bandit 112 amp as well as a line 6 pod.
Technic:
in march 2008 im playing 4 notes per beat at 120 bpm, sweeping at 120 bmp, playing Muris alternate lesson at full temp, playing in the style of EVH style lesson at full tempo and pavel sweeping and alternate lesson at full tempo.
In June 2008 im playing 4 notes per beat at 140 bpm, sweeping at 140 bpm, playing Muris Bb minor intermediate lesson at full tempo.
In december 2008 im playing at 160 bpm, sweeping at 160 bpm, playing Markus Lavendell neoclasical three level solo advanced at full tempo.
Theory
In June 2008 i know every position of the major scale , every position of the harmonic minor scale and every position of the blues pentatonic scale, also every shape of major and minor arpegios and chords as well as the extended apregios and chords.
Own Style
In march 2008 I have writen and record 3 complete songs including lyrics. In december 2008 I have recorded 10 full songs and recorded in a CD.
Band
In december 2008 I have my band to perform my songs.

So if you have more items , please write them. Also if you have more ideas it will be awesome to have them here.

Enjoy planning what you want for next year!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 11 2007, 09:59 PM
GMC:er
GEAR: New pedals. Distortion, wah, and delay.

TECHNIC: I am goin to try to sweep by next December.

THEORY: Learn it. tongue.gif

OWN STYLE: Record an actual song w. backing track sometime by the end of summer.

BAND: Join one!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Dec 11 2007, 10:01 PM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Dec 11 2007, 10:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for sharing man.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 11 2007, 10:12 PM
wink.gif Doesn't anybody else on GMC have goalst they'd like to discuss?

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Dec 11 2007, 10:12 PM

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 11 2007, 10:15 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
ok I`ll give it a go

Gear
Nearly reached the goals here wink.gif already ordered and approx delivery may/june for my custom guitar biggrin.gif

Technic
Alternate pick a lot cleaner than I am at the moment, improve sweeping, something I want to sort out quickly another couple of months maybe? , I`d like to be able to play Muris`s AP etude lesson lesson at full speed by the end of next year but I`m realistic so thats a goal for me to reach by the time I`m fifty blink.gif

Theory
hmm toughy, I think to really get stuck into David Wallimans lessons a bit more, they are great theory lessons!! and do my brain in laugh.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

Own Style
By mid of next year also a bit of a 3 or 4 track demo, mixed real nice smile.gif

Band
well my current band isnt overly active so by mid next year a few more gigs under the belt would be nice smile.gif

Personally?
Maybe try a shot at quitting smoking ohmy.gif

smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
golfrocker
Dec 11 2007, 10:20 PM
Gear: Marshall half stack by August '08
Technique: Become adept with speedpicking by April '08
Theory: Learn when to apply certain scales such as myxolidian, dorian, or pentatonic scales to a particular rhythm progression by February '08
Own Style: Record a 3 song demo in January to use to try to book some performances.
Band: Collaborating with a co-worker and another friend preparing material for '08 small venue performances.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Dec 11 2007, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 12 2007, 05:15 AM) *
Personally?
Maybe try a shot at quitting smoking ohmy.gif

smile.gif smile.gif

Cold turkey sir.. laugh.gif

I am still working on this years goals which look like they will carry into next year.

But gear wise I will be getting a Fender Strat.

Playing wise? Well I want to find what style I really want to play and focus hard on that instead of doing bits of everything all the time. I also want to write and then record some songs of my own.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 11 2007, 10:35 PM
In 2008 I will record a full length demo. I have recorded several times with my band, but this time my solo project(12string acoustic, stomp box, vocals, and maybe harmonica). I'm gonna send my demo everywhere and hope for a record deal, I know I got what it takes.

Thats pretty much it, I dont care about gear, and technique improves a little all the time smile.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 11 2007, 10:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Gear:
Sometime within the next year I want to have saved up enough for a laney GH50L amp and some cab to go with it.

Technic:
I basically want to improve speed all around and optimize my pick stroke (they kind of go hand in hand) to use less of the tip. Also to improve muting, and master pinch harmonics. By the end of the year, mostly, no real set timeline.

Theory
I want to have really mastered the blues and minor pentatonic scales so that improvising in any key is real easy and smooth for me. Also I'd just generally like to work on ear training/interval recognition. Hopefully that'll allow me to get those melodies in my head through my fingers and out my amp smile.gif

Own Style
I have a friend who is going to start up a gaming company and he's asked me to help write music for his first game which he mostly has laid out, which I've already done a little. It's kind of a dark future sci fi kind of theme, so the fitting music is fairly easy to play, mostly experimenting with easy arpeggios over an interesting/creative backing track and such like that, so that's kind of already in the works but I'd also like to get some good software for making better backing tracks to improve that.

Band
I'm already kind of in an unofficial band with a good drummer friend of mine, and we have a few songs in the works so I guess my goal for next year would be to write some more stuff, put together/structure the stuff we have and play a few places. That depends on if I move during the summer or not though, I guess.

QUOTE (Robin @ Dec 11 2007, 09:35 AM) *
In 2008 I will record a full length demo. I have recorded several times with my band, but this time my solo project(12string acoustic, stomp box, vocals, and maybe harmonica). I'm gonna send my demo everywhere and hope for a record deal, I know I got what it takes.

Thats pretty much it, I dont care about gear, and technique improves a little all the time smile.gif

Awesome robin, I'd love to hear it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Dec 11 2007, 10:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for sharing evryone.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 11 2007, 10:58 PM
Gear: Be able to get a new amp, a really good amp, possibly the Line 6 Spider amp.

Technique: Be able to speedpick faster and alot cleaner with good synchronisation. Get better at Sweeppicking.

Theory: Learn more about Key, Circle of Fifths and Sight Reading.

Own Style: Try to incorporate Jazz into my style and make it one of my predominant styles.

Band: Be able to finally find a Bass player and a Vocalist and perform at least once during a school show.

Personal: Be able to pass the TOEFL in february, Graduate from highschool, assist the Live Audition at Boston for a scholarship at Berklee, and hopefully, recieve a decent Scholarship.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
giuseppe
Dec 11 2007, 11:03 PM
there are two riffs in GMC that i want to nail
1. acoustic blues
2. bach minuet

i want to get more familiar with the blues and learn more classical pieces

also for christmas im gonna buy a nylon acoustic, i dont which yet tongue.gif

This post has been edited by giuseppe: Dec 11 2007, 11:05 PM

--------------------
-Giuseppe

IPB Image

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 11 2007, 11:38 PM
Gear: Probably either an Ibanez V or a Jackson RR. Probably the Ibanez, though. I want something that's tuning can be dropped without being a pain (FR tremelo) and is a good guitar for metal. Unfortunately my strat just doesn't make it. Also, possibly a better amp. Probably Marshall.

Technique: Be able to speed pick and sweep much faster with better syncronization, get my legato to be as good as Dave Murry's, and learn to tap really well ( an area which I havn't given as much attention to as I should have)

Theory: Learn and master some scales for improvisation.

Own style: Explore neo-classical and many other genres of metal and add them to my playing.

Band: Be able to sycronize with one another much better.

Personal: Make even more time for myself to play guitar, get a car.

PS- really good thread, thanks, man biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Dec 11 2007, 11:39 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Freebird
Dec 11 2007, 11:42 PM
Gear: No money to buy it :-| Hope for money to casually fall from sky.
Technique: March 08: Pavel's AP1 and IonianSP, Muris Speed bursts, Gabriel's Malmsteen 1,2, 4 up to 140, then June up to 155, and then 170 by November! I'd like to keep AP and sweep at similar tempo!!
Theory: Learn ALL modes of major/minor scale by Feb, then tackle Harm. Minor and its modes!
Own Style: Try to get rid of those boring pentatonics in soloing!!
Band: No band yet, but if I get better my teacher says I could actually gig with him biggrin.gif That'd be great!!

That's all for now! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 11 2007, 11:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Gear: Purchase a tube amp, not sure what kind yet
Technique: In May 08 I am able to play legato and tapping very well
Theory: Learn all 7 Modes and the Harmonic Minor Scale
Own Style: Begin studying more neoclassical and add a new flare to my solos
Band: Purchase a recording device, record a song and begin gigging by June 08

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 12 2007, 12:00 AM
Gear: I'll try not to spend anything on gear next year, I'm far from having my dream gear, but then again, I'm also far from having my dream technique. Oh, except the fact that I might buy a new computer and some things for recording by the end of the summer.

Technique: I will try to work on playing fast and relaxed, I'm moving really slow when it comes to speed, but I'll try to play sixteenth notes at 120 BPM in februar, it shouldn't be a problem since it's only 4 BPM more than what I do now, but I don't want to stress it. By the end of the year, I'd like to play sixteenth notes at 140 BPM, but I'm not going to rush it.

I'm also going to work on fingerpicking, by doing some excercises I've gotten from my teacher.

Theory: I'll try to get more familiar with creating chord progressions without writing the scale down on a paper so I can think before I do it laugh.gif Otherwise I'll try not to focus too much on the theory.

Own style: By the end of 2008 I have recorded at least one song of my own.

Band: We should have enough songs we are happy with to start thinking about recording a demo by the end of 2008. I'd love to get some gigs in aswell, but the band still isn't as important as making progress with music made by only me. Or well, another goal might be to start feeling that the band is more important than my own music. biggrin.gif

Personal: By the end of 2008 I'll be on my way to figuring out what I'm going to do with my life.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 12 2007, 12:06 AM
Instructor
Mostly to finish my second album,
and to stop smoking too if possible ohmy.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 12 2007, 12:08 AM
I want to prioritise my playing so I'm not just doing the same stuff over and over for hours on end but making an effort to learn new things all the time.

I want to get my band Incinerated up and going with at least one or two gigs before next year is up.

I would like to develop my own totally unique way of doing things, I dont really want to be like anyone else in the way I play.

I also would like to make my playing less sloppy and more accurate/concise.

I'm hoping to get a new guitar also in about 3 weeks time smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 12 2007, 12:25 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Mine's perhaps different as they're more recording focused (albeit recording guitar mainly):

Gear -
Ideal - Neve Genesis.
More likely - another Neve 5032, a Neuman TLM103 and a new pc.

Basically I'd love to fully upgrade our consoles (a Yamaha 01VR and a Behringer DDX3216 plus some outboard pres including Neve) not least as my wife says she wants the 01V now for her work sad.gif (can't complain much as I get the outboard and DDX in exchange).

Technique - Need to get a much better understanding of Mastering. Slowly getting there - presently getting to grips with post mix eq balancing.

Theory - room acoustics - particularly the math behind standing waves etc. OT - but for academic paid work - gone back to reading Husserl and Spinoza.

Own style - much of my remix and recording is radio and soundscape and I'd like to get more in to instrumentals.

Band - record all my stuff by myself - no band. Occassional sessions still on other people's stuff - usually when they ask me to include guitar on a mix they want me to remix/work on.

Personal - Gave up ambition a long time ago (sorry Coffeeman)

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Dec 12 2007, 06:44 AM
Gear:
POD x3, maybe new amp (Mesa Rect)

Technic:
LEGATO, and SWEEPING!

Theory
Composition, I know my theory fairly well, but not applying it.

Own Style
Develop my own style! smile.gif

Band
Find a band after I move biggrin.gif
Very vague, yeah....but that's 'cause it ain't '08 yet!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:03 PM