> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Jamest -- Country Hybrid Picking, Lesson by Russel Cash
Hybrid Picking Exercises
Rate this take:
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
10 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
Total Votes: 3

JamesT
Jul 12 2011, 03:45 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Hybrid Picking Exercises
Lesson by Russel Cash.

Link to original Lesson:here

Guitar: Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
Amp: Line 6 HD500, Vox AC30, Top Boost model.
DAW :Sonar
Video Cam: Sony Vegas.

This lesson was my first ever venture into country style guitar. It's kind of a "Country Riffing" sort of tune and follows a basic I, IV, V progression in Emaj. It was great for working on hybrid cause in addition to the cool sounding tune, it was easy to memorize and a little bit longer than some of the other GMC lessons. The length made it good for working on "getting through the changes". The trickiest part for me was the chromatic descending stuff in the 2nd part. I think it was because you're down on the b and e strings so you have reach a little bit and the pick and picking finger very close to each other during that part. The main thing I noticed was that, with hybrid, it's best to let your fingers do the work instead of the wrist. I think this will work out best with other hybrid picking tunes as well. Once you get used to "pulling" with your "hybrid fingers", it gets a lot easier to play quickly with this technique. I had to work pretty hard to get through a take as cleanly as the video below. It's not perfect cause there are a few notes that were played too softly. Something to work on going forward is going to be even-ness of volume. Even with a lots of compression, you still have to pick each note with reasonable consistency to get a smooth solid tone. Like I said in a post before "Country Guitar Rocks!". Thanks Russel for a great lesson. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: Jul 18 2011, 04:11 PM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 12 2011, 02:38 PM
Instructor
This one is pretty hard, nice hybrid picking, and well controlled. There are some minor timing issues, so it doesn't really sound convincing for 10 because of that, but everything else is great, and every note is heard loud and clear.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2011, 02:38 PM
Instructor
I think you nailed this one pretty well my friend! The only thing you have to work on is smoothing or evening out some notes, otherwise, good work!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 12 2011, 10:33 PM
Instructor
I think it's a 10/10! the tone, the timing, the technique

you should go for a harder one now, and maybe try to write a piece in this style

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 13 2011, 01:31 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Another nice one from you Jim, 9.3!

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:44 PM