Casio Cdp As A Midi Controller, SO CLUELESS RIGHT NOW?!
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 02:09 AM
Learning Roadie
So I'm totally lost right now tongue.gif

I have a Casio CDP-100 and I purchased a MIDI-to-USB cable from guitar center so that I can use it in Reaper instead of having to use the midi controller built into the DAW.

So I hooked the cable up and I now have no idea how to get it to work?

This is the manual:

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual...8/CDP100_EN.pdf

The midi section makes no sense to me plus I don't know if I have to configure anything in Reaper.

I'm hoping someone can help me sad.gif

EDIT: I turned off local control but I'm not sure where to go next

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jun 7 2015, 02:11 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 7 2015, 02:13 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Have you tried adding a new midi track to reaper and assigning a VST instrument to it such as drums, piano etc?
This stuff usually works plug n play but you do need to configure your project for midi instrument to work. Here is my lesson on editing drums via midi in Reaper, maybe it helps: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Progra...ictive-Drums-2/

You should assign the midi usb controller you have as your midi input on the track. Then when you press down on the note on the keyboard, the midi information about it will be transferred to daw.

Please let me know how it goes smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 02:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 7 2015, 01:13 AM) *
Have you tried adding a new midi track to reaper and assigning a VST instrument to it such as drums, piano etc?
This stuff usually works plug n play but you do need to configure your project for midi instrument to work. Here is my lesson on editing drums via midi in Reaper, maybe it helps: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Progra...ictive-Drums-2/

You should assign the midi usb controller you have as your midi input on the track. Then when you press down on the note on the keyboard, the midi information about it will be transferred to daw.

Please let me know how it goes smile.gif

So I went into my Reaper settings and enabled mio (name of the cable).

Then I set the input of the track to MIDI > Mio > All Channels

I assigned a VSTi to the track and when I open it - when I hit the keyboard inside of the DAW I hear the sound but when I hit a key on the Casio I get nothing dry.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2015, 05:07 AM
GMC:er
Sorry to hear this sad.gif Are you sure the midi on the keyboard works? Are the drivers for the midi adapter properly installed? Is the VST set to see the keyboard assuming it needs to be? I've not used reaper on windows, nor midi inside of reaper so I apologize for not being more help sad.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 6 2015, 09:18 PM) *
So I went into my Reaper settings and enabled mio (name of the cable).

I assigned a VSTi to the track and when I open it - when I hit the keyboard inside of the DAW I hear the sound but when I hit a key on the Casio I get nothing dry.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 7 2015, 12:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 7 2015, 03:18 AM) *

Maybe try selecting channel 1 here. I found difficulties triggering midi instruments if I don't set the channels both on the input as well as output and vst instruments to match up. Check if you have your midi cable hooked up to the output on the keyboards (some have 3 midi jacks - input, output and through). If the keyboards work, it is highly unlikely that the midi is broken. Maybe there is some kind of functionality on the keyboard that you need to activate in order to start sending the midi signal? Is there something in the manual about it?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 7 2015, 04:40 PM
Learning Roadie
So the cable came without directions so I checked online - apparently you connect the IN of the cable to the OUT of the keyboard - I had it reversed. rolleyes.gif

I'm at work so I'll try when I go home and hopefully it will fix it.

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 8 2015, 01:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok Update:

Attached Image

So still nothing, but messing around with the MIDI editor I clicked the option "Use All MIDI Inputs for Step Recording" and when I started to hit keys you can see that they register, however I am not getting any sound when I hit the keys.

Any ideas?

Sorry for being such a noob at this sad.gif

EDIT: Even if I just hit record and start hitting keys it will register them but no sound until I stop recording and hit play.

DOUBLE EDIT: Okay so I am in fact an idiot - so I didn't enable Record Monitoring. With that on it now works tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jun 8 2015, 02:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2015, 07:15 AM
GMC:er
Hehehehe. Yeah smile.gif Don't worry, everybody does that at some point. You gotta "arm" the track (.eg. record enable) for best results smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:12 PM