Reaper Multi Take Question
Phil66
Oct 13 2020, 08:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

If you loop a section in Reaper and keep recording it creates multiple stacked takes for you and only plays the one that you highlight. Is there a way to delete the other takes once you've got what you want?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 13 2020, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 13 2020, 07:43 PM) *
Hello folks,

If you loop a section in Reaper and keep recording it creates multiple stacked takes for you and only plays the one that you highlight. Is there a way to delete the other takes once you've got what you want?

Cheers

Phil

Right click item (wave), take menu, "delete active take (means deletes one you don't want which is selected). In the same take menu there's also "explode all takes to new tracks" so it creates track for each take, really nice if you want to edit to merge multiple takes.

But I also do this; right click on track, render/freeze tracks, freeze tracks to mono/stereo. But this will also render then delete your amp plug-in if you have one, I use it if the amp plug-in is in a folder track.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 13 2020, 09:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 13 2020, 10:10 PM
Thanks Mertay,

Ill try that tomorrow, I've been trying to work it out for months. rolleyes.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2020, 03:27 AM
Some folks like using "Comped takes" which is taking the best bits from say four takes of a solo. Say you recorded your playing over a backing track set on loop. It made four takes for you to pick from. You can go in and select sections from each take to create one "comped take". Some folks think this is cheating. Well, in a way it is, but music isn't a card game, so it's tough to really break the rules. I don't use comped takes typically, but I have done so at least a few times in the past. I usually like one continuous good take. Some folks use comping to get a better take than they managed to get in a single pass. Either way, here is how it's done in reaper smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 13 2020, 05:10 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Ill try that tomorrow, I've been trying to work it out for months. rolleyes.gif

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 14 2020, 05:01 AM
Thanks Todd,

I have done that but the more long winded way by making individual track takes and chopping them up, but, only when time has been tight for a deadline in a creativity workshop or suchlike.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2020, 06:02 AM
That way works smile.gif This is just a quicker way to do the same thing. Reaper is built to make comping tracks very easy. It's always an option if you have bits from several takes that you want to put together. A few clicks and bam! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 14 2020, 12:01 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I have done that but the more long winded way by making individual track takes and chopping them up, but, only when time has been tight for a deadline in a creativity workshop or suchlike.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 14 2020, 08:21 AM
So we shared like 10 ways dealing with takes including the video biggrin.gif

There are few things I don't like/care for in Reaper but this is a good example how powerful it can be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 20 2020, 10:02 PM
Thanks Todd & Mertay,

I managed to use the ideas below tonight, easy when you know how, i just never spotted that "TRACK" menu in the right click menu rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 13 2020, 08:15 PM) *
Right click item (wave), take menu, "delete active take (means deletes one you don't want which is selected). In the same take menu there's also "explode all takes to new tracks" so it creates track for each take, really nice if you want to edit to merge multiple takes.

But I also do this; right click on track, render/freeze tracks, freeze tracks to mono/stereo. But this will also render then delete your amp plug-in if you have one, I use it if the amp plug-in is in a folder track.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:41 PM