> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Bleez’s Building Speed Workshop, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2015, 03:42 PM
Instructor
Perfect! I'm glad to know that the feedback helped! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 13 2015, 10:40 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Gab, Ive been trying to learn a bit about using EQ to improve tones from a thread on the Gear section. You know the Pod system really well, I was wondering if you could take a quick listen and look at my settings. Im not sure what the correct terms are to say what I think is wrong with my tone. I dont know if 'too muddy' is the correct term or what but its too 'something' rolleyes.gif

Im trying to aim for this tone as a reference, not totally mimic it but just the way it punches through the mix, it just cuts through like glass. My tone doesn't.

here's what I have - ( ignore the playing rolleyes.gif its just a quick improv )
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/tone-test

these are my settings
[attachment=42193:chain.jpg]
[attachment=42194:amps.jpg]

Can you see or hear anything that I should adjust to improve it or even just point out what's lacking?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2015, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez,

I compared both tones (yours and javier's) and I can say that his tone is quite simple while your patch is full of stuff. I always prefer to use a few elements but know exactly what each (virtual) processor is doing. In other words, add stuff for a specific reason.

In this case you have many eqs, amps, cabinets, pedals, working together and who know what is each one doing... blink.gif

If I would want to create a tone like that one used by Javier, I would start simple: an amp that sounds similar to fender and choose a combination of cabinet and mic that makes me feel that I'm close to the desired sound. I'm sure that you'll be able to get somethings close just with this few elements. Once you are the closer possible, you could add an EQ for any specific reason, maybe you are still lacking some frequencies or something like that. I usually cut frequencies below 80 hz, and increase around 3000 hz.

Then, you can any ambiance effect that you like.

The tone that you want create is clean while yours has drive, that's another important difference.

Does this make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 14 2015, 05:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yeah that makes sense smile.gif
I spent a couple of hours today going through the amps, I couldnt find any that sounded close. The fender types were okay but a bit twangy. Most of the amps sounded a bit too thin. Maybe thats just the way it is with modelling. I should probably just buy a good amp.
I have a recording using the flip top model, its not particularly close but it was less twangy than my other attempts. I recorded the first section with the amp alone, then at 0.23 I add the EQ then at 0.45 I add the overdrive pedal which I was just trying out to see if it helped the overall sound, it wasnt to try and replicate Javier's tone.
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/tt661

I dont think any of the 3 tones I recorded sound very good but I dont know exactly what is wrong with them so its difficult to know what to try and alter. I didnt think it would be so difficult to get a that type of tone! Accepting the fact that Javier's playing is obviously light years better than mine which Im sure adds to it. I'll give it a rest and try again tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2015, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Have you experimented changing cabinets and mics type and positions?

Also, where are you listening? Do you have a good pair of audio monitors or good headphones?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 16 2015, 06:52 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2015, 01:56 PM) *
Hi mate,

Have you experimented changing cabinets and mics type and positions?

Also, where are you listening? Do you have a good pair of audio monitors or good headphones?

yeah, I tried all the mics and most of the cabs, probably a couple of other cabs left I could try. Its easier to find a clean tone for playing chords not so much for playing lead. I;ll keep trying though, Im sure there is a tone in there somewhere cool.gif

Im using headphones mainly, I would say they are 'decent' not top of the range but they seem okay, over the ear type. I dont have anything special in terms of speakers though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2015, 02:08 PM
Instructor
Well, so you seem to be doing the things right. There are no tricks about this, it's trial and error, and A/B comparison. It's not easy design Pod's tones because they have lots of parameters, but you can get really cool stuff.

You can also use the custom tone section at line6 site, where you'll find lots of tones that can be your starting points. This helped me a lot when I first bought mine.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 22 2015, 12:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hi gab, would you mind having a quick listen to my progress on the BBs Blues lesson -

Also, the end lick at 1:08, does that sound correct? It gave me a lot of problems and Im not 100% sure about it.

other than that last lick, there are a few places I probably need to play a bit softer but what do you think, getting close maybe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2015, 08:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez, great to see working hard on this one.

Your playing is on the right track with this one. As you've noted, there is more room to improve your dynamics and also your vibrato on this one. If you analyze the original lesson, there is more dynamic range on Chris playing and this makes his phrasing more expressive. This is also combined with a delicate vibrato and a warmer and cleaner tone.

The last lick is close, it sounds good, but it is played a bit different than the original lesson. You could re-check it since I like the original version a bit more.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 25 2015, 08:31 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 22 2015, 08:31 PM) *
Hi Bleez, great to see working hard on this one.

Your playing is on the right track with this one. As you've noted, there is more room to improve your dynamics and also your vibrato on this one. If you analyze the original lesson, there is more dynamic range on Chris playing and this makes his phrasing more expressive. This is also combined with a delicate vibrato and a warmer and cleaner tone.

The last lick is close, it sounds good, but it is played a bit different than the original lesson. You could re-check it since I like the original version a bit more.

thanks dude. Ive dropped the overdrive pedal I was using and the tone sounds a lot better already smile.gif I'll work on the other points you mentioned as well.
I dont know why that last lick is being so awkward for me, it must be something subtle in the playing of it which Im not picking up. I'll keep trying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2015, 07:12 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez, great to know that tone has been fixed really fast. About the lick, it's not an easy lick because it has an uncommon accentuation which is maybe natural for him. Keep on playing it over the original lesson to feel more familiar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 31 2015, 05:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hi gab, just wondering if you would have a listen to this take and maybe let me know which parts your hear that are not quite correct -

its this lesson

Ive been working on it this last week. Im quite happy with it so far but I know it needs a bit more work.

thanks dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2015, 12:22 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is a good take! You are very close. I've compared each phrase with the original and these are the parts that I noted could be better, or closer to the lesson:

00:14 - That bend!
00:31 - It sounds different, check the original phrase again.
00:52 - That bend sounds different.
00:57, 1:02, 1:06. This parts are not bad but I feel that you should recheck dynamics, articulation and everything else to note why I perceive that the original sounds more interesting.
1:10 - The phrases sounds with a different rhythm.

Ok mate, I hope that it helps!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 2 2015, 09:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 31 2015, 11:22 PM) *
Hi mate, this is a good take! You are very close. I've compared each phrase with the original and these are the parts that I noted could be better, or closer to the lesson:

00:14 - That bend!
00:31 - It sounds different, check the original phrase again.
00:52 - That bend sounds different.
00:57, 1:02, 1:06. This parts are not bad but I feel that you should recheck dynamics, articulation and everything else to note why I perceive that the original sounds more interesting.
1:10 - The phrases sounds with a different rhythm.

Ok mate, I hope that it helps!

thanks mate. that's very helpful. I'll focus on those parts, I should be able to get them fixed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2015, 02:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 2 2015, 05:23 AM) *
thanks mate. that's very helpful. I'll focus on those parts, I should be able to get them fixed smile.gif

Great! Looking forward the new take. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 7 2015, 06:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi mate, Ive tried to work on those areas you mentioned. I had another go at recording it today -

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2015, 10:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez, good job with this new take!

I notice improvements on each of the details that I've marked previously. Your playing is top level on the whole take. There can be some little differences here and there, but everything sounds good. I feel that going deep with this lesson had a positive impact in yor playing.

Congrats!

What's next?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 9 2015, 02:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 8 2015, 09:32 PM) *
Hi Bleez, good job with this new take!

I notice improvements on each of the details that I've marked previously. Your playing is top level on the whole take. There can be some little differences here and there, but everything sounds good. I feel that going deep with this lesson had a positive impact in yor playing.

Congrats!

What's next?

thanks mate smile.gif It was really worthwhile going over those points you mentioned, I think I'll put this one for a REC take.

Ive got about 3 other lessons which Ive been playing for a while but probably have similar issues and need a little polishing. I should probably focus on those next.
Most of my lessons lately have been blues stuff..... I seem to be really into the blues these days and of course still trying to play fast alternate picking cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2015, 02:29 PM
Instructor
Well, it seems that stoner fans are turning to blues nowadays... smile.gif

Please check one of our biggest bluess players ever... the great Pappo. This is a classic Argentinean album...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 9 2015, 07:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 9 2015, 01:29 PM) *
Well, it seems that stoner fans are turning to blues nowadays... smile.gif

Please check one of our biggest bluess players ever... the great Pappo. This is a classic Argentinean album...

WOW! his tone is great, warm and fuzzy 70's goodness smile.gif Actually, there are parts where he has a real stoner groove going on there. Really good stuff, thanks for the post.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:51 PM