Sight Seeing Question, Moving beyond the "first position"
Rain
Dec 28 2008, 09:27 PM
GMC:er
I can do pretty well in the first position now but how do I know if I should move to notes past the third fret? Is there notation to direct me to move to those higher pitches? For example, in the "Rock Ballad Solo" lesson the notation doesn't seem to note whether or not I should move up to say the "10th fret" - but does mention what note to play...

So - long question short: How do I know when to use certain regions of the fretboard at one time rather than others?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Dec 29 2008, 01:16 AM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (Rain @ Dec 29 2008, 01:57 AM) *
I can do pretty well in the first position now but how do I know if I should move to notes past the third fret? Is there notation to direct me to move to those higher pitches? For example, in the "Rock Ballad Solo" lesson the notation doesn't seem to note whether or not I should move up to say the "10th fret" - but does mention what note to play...

So - long question short: How do I know when to use certain regions of the fretboard at one time rather than others?

Hello Rain,

Yes.The string which you should play is mentioned In a complete notation .
It's not marked with every note but when there is a confusion it is mentioned.
Since Emir notation contain the tab with it ,it's not mentioned there. smile.gif

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rain
Dec 29 2008, 09:44 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Vinod Saranga @ Dec 28 2008, 07:16 PM) *
Hello Rain,

Yes.The string which you should play is mentioned In a complete notation .
It's not marked with every note but when there is a confusion it is mentioned.
Since Emir notation contain the tab with it ,it's not mentioned there. smile.gif

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

So given piano literature - how would I know to move up to certain frets? Obviously if we are given TAB below it that's one thing - but no tab might give me trouble. Do you have any examples of a good notation that clarifies what region I need to play on?

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Dec 29 2008, 09:52 PM
Instructor
Sorry Vinod for answering in your board.
If you want to translate a piano piece to guitar you must choose wisely your positions and notes to have a confortable arrangement. Like you might know the piano has one posibility to play the central C but in the guitar you have more that one.
So if you check a score made for guitar you'll notice that below the note you have a number, that means the string that you are supposed to play.
Check the score of Leyenda by Albeniz. He was a piano composer but there are many many transcriptions of his compositions to guitar.

Find the IMSLP they have a huge library.

I leave you the link
http://imslp.org/wiki/Recuerdos_de_Viaje%2...A9niz%2C_Isaac)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Dec 31 2008, 05:10 AM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Dec 30 2008, 02:22 AM) *
Sorry Vinod for answering in your board.
If you want to translate a piano piece to guitar you must choose wisely your positions and notes to have a confortable arrangement. Like you might know the piano has one posibility to play the central C but in the guitar you have more that one.
So if you check a score made for guitar you'll notice that below the note you have a number, that means the string that you are supposed to play.
Check the score of Leyenda by Albeniz. He was a piano composer but there are many many transcriptions of his compositions to guitar.

Find the IMSLP they have a huge library.

I leave you the link
http://imslp.org/wiki/Recuerdos_de_Viaje%2...A9niz%2C_Isaac)

Thanks for your great answer Ramiro.
Yes as I mentioned in a complete notation there is string number which you are supposed to play.

I hope Ramiro's answer will solve your problem.If you have any further question don't hesitate to ask. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:47 AM