Power Pinky
brainlesswonder
Feb 12 2007, 02:00 AM
GMC:er
Is there a particular reason in the videos I see Kris playing them with his pinky instead of his ring finger?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 12 2007, 08:48 AM
GMC Founder
Which video? My ringfinger is stronger but I try to practice doing with the pinky as much as possible as it allows for dofferent kinds of stretches!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ironhead85
Feb 15 2007, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 12 2007, 02:48 AM) *
Which video? My ringfinger is stronger but I try to practice doing with the pinky as much as possible as it allows for dofferent kinds of stretches!

Agree!! I can get a much crisper sound with my ring finger, especially because I have been cursed with small hands and CROOKED PINKIES, AHHH. But I try to use my pinky even when it is very uncomfortable, because with my disadvantage I have to train myself to make the stretch and move my pinky faster. I have difficulty doing hammer ons with my pinky, so using it even when I can easily use my ring finger without jeopardizing sound is a PLUS.

+Quote Post
Beaker
Feb 16 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm just a beginner but I'm already trying to work my pinky extra hard. I'm already finding it good practice to highlight weaker areas and to focus on those. I'm only doing the metronome lesson at the moment to learn scales and build speed but already I've had significant speed boosts by working the pinky into the routines more. When I try to play really fast of just jam to a backing track I tend to accidently miss out using it because, like most people, my ring finger is stronger and gives better tone but again I'm focused on stopping that smile.gif I try to stretch it to the maximum fret I can reach too as an excersize in itself as it seems to open up some nice directions on the fretboard when jamming without sliding.

By the way, I used to think I was cursed with short fingers but Kris and many others list this a myth. I've often thought the opposite could be true because higher up the neck it gets pretty crowded and whilst lower down us stumpy fingered guys have to stretch more, I expect the long fingered amongst us need to work on accuracy more higher up, especially when string skipping I expect which is already hard enough!

This post has been edited by Beaker: Feb 16 2007, 09:54 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!
Next week there will be a lesson on legato and a cool excercise for your pinky so be ready to get your pinky pretty tired biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:19 AM