Chooseing a direction!
mattacuk
Feb 12 2007, 12:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi guys,
It has become apprant to me that I do not listen to the sort of music you guys like too! Infact my faviroute band are U2, my faveiroute guitarist - the Edge!! This is obviously very different to the fast/shred music alot of the lessons are based on. I do enjoy playing what the lessons have to offer but i worry that because I do not listen to these other styles of music i will not make it !! and i do not know what direction i wish to go with my playing. I would like to ideally be a good all-rounder. Any thoughts?

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Feb 12 2007, 12:20 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 12 2007, 02:31 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Mattacuk,

I know how you feel - I'm the same. I am ignorant about a lot of guitarists that people speak about on the forum and have my own favourites (Dave Gilmour, Brian May, Gary Moore) - that have no metal or thrash credentials. Actually though, that is a good thing. It would be boring if we were all the same. It means for us that there is a whole new world to learn about, and at the same time, we can maybe bring something to the other guys.

Regardless of style, the basics are the same, and your style is what YOU make it by picking up bits and pieces here and there from guitarists you admire. You may never shred like Pavel, but you may come up with some kind of amazing shred-echo style that no-one has ever thought of before.

Also bear in mind that the Edge isn't necessarily a good all rounder either; he has taken some influences and worked them into a unique instantly recognizable style, but he probably can't sweep pick :-) (Apologies to the Edge if he can). BB King certainly wasn't an all rounder either, but he was phenomenally good at his chosen genre.

If you do want to be a good all-rounder, then I suggest you at least look at ALL of the lessons on the site - one or two techniques will probably really resonate with you and bingo, you have a new avenue to explore. Also you do need to listen to as many different types of music as you can - even if you don't like them you will probably learn something. Then just pick up and practice the bits you like.

Hope this helps ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 12 2007, 03:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 12 2007, 01:31 PM) *
Hi Mattacuk,

I know how you feel - I'm the same. I am ignorant about a lot of guitarists that people speak about on the forum and have my own favourites (Dave Gilmour, Brian May, Gary Moore) - that have no metal or thrash credentials. Actually though, that is a good thing. It would be boring if we were all the same. It means for us that there is a whole new world to learn about, and at the same time, we can maybe bring something to the other guys.

Regardless of style, the basics are the same, and your style is what YOU make it by picking up bits and pieces here and there from guitarists you admire. You may never shred like Pavel, but you may come up with some kind of amazing shred-echo style that no-one has ever thought of before.

Also bear in mind that the Edge isn't necessarily a good all rounder either; he has taken some influences and worked them into a unique instantly recognizable style, but he probably can't sweep pick :-) (Apologies to the Edge if he can). BB King certainly wasn't an all rounder either, but he was phenomenally good at his chosen genre.

If you do want to be a good all-rounder, then I suggest you at least look at ALL of the lessons on the site - one or two techniques will probably really resonate with you and bingo, you have a new avenue to explore. Also you do need to listen to as many different types of music as you can - even if you don't like them you will probably learn something. Then just pick up and practice the bits you like.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks! this is a good post. I also like Brian may !! what a legend. Yes I am keen to do all of the lessons, as I can only gain from them. I have just purchased a fretboard trainer programme for me pc too as I wish to learn all the notes on the fretboard as i feel this will help me !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 12 2007, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
Hey.

I am much in the same boat. (although I've probably been playing a lot longer).

This site is certainly geared more to "shredding" and what not. However, all the techniques in here are adaptable to whatever your style may be, and in the end incorporating it would only make you a better and more unique player. For example, as an edge fan, I would suggest that you play the sweeping lesson through your echoplex (or whatever particular echo box you're using). You'd sound like edge, but different - and different is important.

There are plenty of nice solos to learn (brian may, hendrix, ect...) at the free version of this site (freelicks.net), If you haven't, check them out. (at our last gig as a joke we threw the bohemian rhapsody solo in at the end of one of our songs).

I noticed you bought a note program or something. I never really was much for learning the notes on a guitar (I just always knew the chords). However, I figured I'd share how I caught on to it and relatively quickly.

Luckily, there aren't a whole lot of notes and the order never changes! I'm kinda dumb, so that helps out a lot.

I learned the most common types of scales at cyberfret.com (for some reason they're graph on the scale boxes was the most helpful). As I practiced fingering and picking the scales I simply repeated the notes in my head. They stuck kinda quick.

Then I used the lessons on this site to learn how to get from one box to another. In the end, if you know what scales to work with in a particular chord progression, knowing the actual notes isn't all the important.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 12 2007, 05:13 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 12 2007, 10:24 AM) *
Hey.

Then I used the lessons on this site to learn how to get from one box to another. In the end, if you know what scales to work with in a particular chord progression, knowing the actual notes isn't all the important.

Amen to that - I rarely know what notes I am playing (I'd have to stop and figure it out if you asked me), but I DO know where they fit in the harmonic structure I am using. For me at least that is good enough.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 12 2007, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 12 2007, 12:18 PM) *
Hi guys,
It has become apprant to me that I do not listen to the sort of music you guys like too! Infact my faviroute band are U2, my faveiroute guitarist - the Edge!! This is obviously very different to the fast/shred music alot of the lessons are based on. I do enjoy playing what the lessons have to offer but i worry that because I do not listen to these other styles of music i will not make it !! and i do not know what direction i wish to go with my playing. I would like to ideally be a good all-rounder. Any thoughts?

Matt smile.gif

Hi Matt:

I have always enjoyed listening to all sorts of music regardless of style. Learning to play as many songs or types of music from every genre will assist to make you an "all around" player - with much practice of course. Guitarmasterclass.net is just one of many resources that are available and helpful, so certainly do not limit it to just this. A lot of the shred stuff is simple patterns from other styles speed up, of course.

You may want to concentrate on theory to gain a better understanding of what you are playing rather than just some songs or leads from your favorite player. You could look at the tab and so forth but it would really benefit to know the theory behind the tab.

Even these shred guitarists started with basic patters and just played them over and over again a billion times until they could play them effortlessly at blazing speed. If you were to ask them I bet a lot of them would say that they enjoy all kinds of guitar styles too and that they incorporated these styles into their own playing.

Believe it or not, I find that playing bluegrass music (no joke) on acoustic and flat picking is some of the most difficult guitar to play. This will help you tremendously, as another style to look at, if you go that route. Try sweep picking on acoustic! Not much success with that one... biggrin.gif (at least for me. I'm sure there are those who can do it well)

Anyway, my point is that you should always listen to all kinds of music if you really want to stretch it to become an all around player. I can play a lot of different stuff from a lot of styles because I practice them all - from shred to bluegrass. In the end, it helps because I play some of my leads depending on the mood that I am in. I rarely play any leads note for note even when I am playing popular songs because I like to improvise on everything.

I would suggest learning some funk guitar and some jazz to. That stuff is really cool and it's a blast to play. I've tried some classical but found that it takes a lot more time (unfortunately) than I have to give but I did learn a few things from that.

By the way, I think Edge is an exceptional player! To me it's more about writing songs than playing with blazing speed. He's got a cool style and I guarantee that he practices endlessly even to this day. I'm sure he can rip it too, but he doesn't do it on his songs. His band is one of the most successful to ever play and he is the reason behind most all of it.

jeff

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 12 2007, 08:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 12 2007, 04:17 PM) *
Hi Matt:

I have always enjoyed listening to all sorts of music regardless of style. Learning to play as many songs or types of music from every genre will assist to make you an "all around" player - with much practice of course. Guitarmasterclass.net is just one of many resources that are available and helpful, so certainly do not limit it to just this. A lot of the shred stuff is simple patterns from other styles speed up, of course.

You may want to concentrate on theory to gain a better understanding of what you are playing rather than just some songs or leads from your favorite player. You could look at the tab and so forth but it would really benefit to know the theory behind the tab.

Even these shred guitarists started with basic patters and just played them over and over again a billion times until they could play them effortlessly at blazing speed. If you were to ask them I bet a lot of them would say that they enjoy all kinds of guitar styles too and that they incorporated these styles into their own playing.

Believe it or not, I find that playing bluegrass music (no joke) on acoustic and flat picking is some of the most difficult guitar to play. This will help you tremendously, as another style to look at, if you go that route. Try sweep picking on acoustic! Not much success with that one... biggrin.gif (at least for me. I'm sure there are those who can do it well)

Anyway, my point is that you should always listen to all kinds of music if you really want to stretch it to become an all around player. I can play a lot of different stuff from a lot of styles because I practice them all - from shred to bluegrass. In the end, it helps because I play some of my leads depending on the mood that I am in. I rarely play any leads note for note even when I am playing popular songs because I like to improvise on everything.

I would suggest learning some funk guitar and some jazz to. That stuff is really cool and it's a blast to play. I've tried some classical but found that it takes a lot more time (unfortunately) than I have to give but I did learn a few things from that.

By the way, I think Edge is an exceptional player! To me it's more about writing songs than playing with blazing speed. He's got a cool style and I guarantee that he practices endlessly even to this day. I'm sure he can rip it too, but he doesn't do it on his songs. His band is one of the most successful to ever play and he is the reason behind most all of it.

jeff

What great posts, I really appreciate the feedback guys!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 13 2007, 05:05 PM
Ok I look at it like this:

Your average guy trying to make his body look better lifts weights, this doesn't mean he'll end up as a bodybuilder.

Despite not wanting to be a shredder, I'm sure you're gonna want to be able to solo and training shred techniques will improve your soloing.

I listen to practically no metal at all, especially not shred. I can play pretty much every song by my favourite few bands Incubus / Rage Against The Machine etc but that doesn't make me as good as their guitarists.

Writing is much more difficult than playing other people's stuff, I can garuntee that Tom Morello and Mike Einziger despite not including many blistering solos in their music can play some fucking incredible solos and without the ability to do so they wouldn't write half of the awesome music that they do.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 13 2007, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (Zee Deveel @ Feb 13 2007, 11:05 AM) *
Ok I look at it like this:

Your average guy trying to make his body look better lifts weights, this doesn't mean he'll end up as a bodybuilder.

Despite not wanting to be a shredder, I'm sure you're gonna want to be able to solo and training shred techniques will improve your soloing.

I listen to practically no metal at all, especially not shred. I can play pretty much every song by my favourite few bands Incubus / Rage Against The Machine etc but that doesn't make me as good as their guitarists.

Writing is much more difficult than playing other people's stuff, I can garuntee that Tom Morello and Mike Einziger despite not including many blistering solos in their music can play some fucking incredible solos and without the ability to do so they wouldn't write half of the awesome music that they do.

Yes, that's the key - being able to play other peoples stuff means you are technically competent, but remember, THEY though of playing it in the first place - and that is the hardest bit IMO - which is why people like Kris and Pavel who put new stuff together all the time are worthy of respect over and above their technical abilities. The same goes for all of your favorite guitarists as well. Being able to stand in the spotlight and play a solo that you wrote yourself, even if it isn't going to blow Yngwie away, as long as it works for the song, is a very important part of being an all round guitarist.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 14 2007, 12:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 13 2007, 06:08 PM) *
Yes, that's the key - being able to play other peoples stuff means you are technically competent, but remember, THEY though of playing it in the first place - and that is the hardest bit IMO - which is why people like Kris and Pavel who put new stuff together all the time are worthy of respect over and above their technical abilities. The same goes for all of your favorite guitarists as well. Being able to stand in the spotlight and play a solo that you wrote yourself, even if it isn't going to blow Yngwie away, as long as it works for the song, is a very important part of being an all round guitarist.

I do love to solo, and I would say its my strength! I practice for between 1 - 2 hours a day properly, and usually always with a metrnome! even when im tried. I would say i probably learn alot more here than i do with my private tutor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 15 2007, 09:03 AM
GMC Founder
Amen to this discussion.

It is my personal belief that combining polar opposite styles is the ultimate way to originality. One example of that would be Yngwie...!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 15 2007, 04:17 PM
Today I was doing a bit of funky mixolydian improv to a backing track and out from nowhere I threw in the following little sweep:

(Swept and heavily palm muted.)

e-------------------12h13---------------
b---------------13---------13-13~-------
G-----------14---------------------------
D-15-x-15------------------------------
A----------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------

Sounded freaking awesome, had I not been messing around with some sweeping, I wouldn't have played this lick.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 16 2007, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 12 2007, 12:18 PM) *
i do not know what direction i wish to go with my playing. I would like to ideally be a good all-rounder. Any thoughts?

"The greatest traveler is the one who does not know where he is going" - Chuang Tzu

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 16 2007, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Feb 19 2007, 05:09 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 15 2007, 03:03 AM) *
Amen to this discussion.

It is my personal belief that combining polar opposite styles is the ultimate way to originality. One example of that would be Yngwie...!

My flesh and bones guitar teacher and I have an inside joke regarding flat-picking, and how under represented it is in metal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:03 PM