practicing arpeggios
carlos
Feb 15 2007, 03:43 PM
GMC:er
i cant seem to figure out HOW to practice arpeggios with my mertonome correctly. i dont seem to be making progress in this area. any help or suggestions??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2007, 04:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (carlos @ Feb 15 2007, 09:43 AM) *
i cant seem to figure out HOW to practice arpeggios with my mertonome correctly. i dont seem to be making progress in this area. any help or suggestions??

What exactly is the problem? If its keeping in time then I suggest you set your metronome to click for every note you are playing, at least initially. Kris says in his video to have one click per beat, and I think this should be your goal when you advance, but for me initially, I need more of a cue than that especially for 16th triplets, so I am using 16th triplet clicks. When I improve a little I will set it to do single beats.

Also, don't try to play too fast at first. If you can't keep in time, slow down until you can, and practice that way for a few days. You should only increase the speed when you are comfortably playing every note, and can do so for a long time. On the other hand, don't stay at one speed too long or you will never improve :-) The most important thing is not the actual number, but how much you improve on it over time - you are competing with yourself, not anyone else.

I hope this helps, if not, give us some more information on what the problem is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
carlos
Feb 15 2007, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 15 2007, 10:35 AM) *
What exactly is the problem? If its keeping in time then I suggest you set your metronome to click for every note you are playing, at least initially. Kris says in his video to have one click per beat, and I think this should be your goal when you advance, but for me initially, I need more of a cue than that especially for 16th triplets, so I am using 16th triplet clicks. When I improve a little I will set it to do single beats.

Also, don't try to play too fast at first. If you can't keep in time, slow down until you can, and practice that way for a few days. You should only increase the speed when you are comfortably playing every note, and can do so for a long time. On the other hand, don't stay at one speed too long or you will never improve :-) The most important thing is not the actual number, but how much you improve on it over time - you are competing with yourself, not anyone else.

I hope this helps, if not, give us some more information on what the problem is.

i can do the arpeggio at slow speeds but when i try to get it to the point iam actually sweeping up and down it all falls apart, fells very akward.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 12:31 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (carlos @ Feb 15 2007, 05:36 PM) *
i can do the arpeggio at slow speeds but when i try to get it to the point iam actually sweeping up and down it all falls apart, fells very akward.

Ahh, sweep picking ... ahem, I'll let someone else answer that then - I'm at the slow stage as well smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 02:05 AM
Instructor
Sweeps are a very demanding technique! Years of practice - that's what makes sweeps enjoyable! If you are slow - don't worry - just keep practicing and you'll get faster with time!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:31 AM