scale help
Robin
Feb 18 2007, 09:50 PM
GMC:er
What scales are good if you wanna make happy/beautyfull solos/songs?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 18 2007, 10:45 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 18 2007, 03:50 PM) *
What scales are good if you wanna make happy/beautyfull solos/songs?

I think its more about note choice than scale choice ... Actually I was thinking about this just the other day and kind of planning a "nice" solo lesson in my head.

Start with a Major scale, and emphasize happy tones and intervals, I would suggest

Maj 3rds, Perfect 4ths, Perfect 5ths, 6ths, Maj 7ths, 9ths and particularly relation ships between chords that emphasize this. So in the key of C,

You would be looking to emphasize the notes E, F, G, A, B, D (by emphasize I mean that these are good notes to hang or bend up to). If you play a note of A over a chord of C, it is a 6th, which is on our nice list. If you then hold it as the chord changes to a G, you are then playing a 9th which is also on our nice list. That same note, A, over an F chord is a 3rd, still on our nice list. So A is a versatile "nice" note.

A lot of it comes down to experience and practice, but these are the types of combinations I would use if trying to write a happy, mellow kind of solo.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:36 AM