2 Pages V  < 1 2  
First Year Completed At Gmc University, Sharing my experience
Daniel Realpe
May 5 2010, 05:40 PM
Instructor
wow!

great take on that lesson!

and the video quality is great too, as well as the tone!

you've gone a long way no doubt!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
May 5 2010, 08:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Maharzan.

I'm not sure if you get this, but really. Wait one year, and I'll thank you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 6 2010, 04:05 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Daniel.

Kristian, I am definitely looking forward your progress. Good Luck!

Cheers!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
zen
May 6 2010, 10:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good stuff man .. inspiring smile.gif Keep it up

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 6 2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks zen.. Where are you man? missing you on the chat. smile.gif Cheers!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 6 2010, 04:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thats great man! I guess Kris must mummify You and put You in a frame + having You on the wall in his office to show that this site really works!!! laugh.gif
Jokes aside, I've seen the progress You made in the last year, and its impressive. You did a great work, congrats and keep up the good work!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 7 2010, 05:44 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Staffay! That would be an honor! smile.gif I totally agree, GMC works and esp the MTP and REC. Hope these get improved in days ahead so they become the even more charm of the site.

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
May 7 2010, 10:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
He there bro,

Great to read how you motivated and have developed yourself.

I can remember how we did our MTP with Muris but unfortunately it had to stop,

I recognize myself in your story: kinda same thing: been playing for a long time but not very good or structured. That only happened when taking lessons on GMC . I am doing only 5-6 levels because I don't want to frustrate myself that much. ( I am doing the steve Lukater lesson by Jonatan now for a few months and still I am not playing it without mistakes; do you get my point) But I like your approach here of pushing yourself. The level 9 lesson you posted is in my option a great take, Congrates on that.
Your are a skilled player I must say. Level 9 is beyond my skills.... at the moment....

I wonder did it take you a long time to play the notes by hard and even play them right?

Well keep up the good motivation and good work in the next year.

Cheers

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 7 2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Playaxeman,

For your question, here is what I do more or less, I guess everyone does that too. So, I spend like first 2-3 days to familarize the notes. Once I do that, the first week is generally grabbing the tune / rhythm at a slower pace. One I grab all that, I start practicing at tempo, without backing (just guessing the tempo) After I get it quite okay, I start practicing with the backing track. Normally, I can do a lesson in 2 weeks more or less but sometimes because I have some timing issues and picking issues, it takes me a month or even 2 to master it. This level 9 lesson took me around 5 weeks in total but I took a break in between to practice 2 more lessons.. just wanted to divert from practicing the same lesson over and over.

Cheers mate.. I will keep looking forward to your progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 11 2010, 08:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wow, I just read this... I can't see how you can go from lvl 3 to lvl 9 in a year laugh.gif

Maharzan if you're honest... don't you think those lots of years without GMC have helped as well? I think you got a very strong, undeveloped, base on feeling and technique for your guitar. You needed a full year to get that base powered up into your present skill.

Of course it's hard work, 4 hours a day is a LOT tongue.gif I do about 1.5 hours a day average, and most people tell me I play guitar way to much laugh.gif How can you keep playing a lick for a full day? I would get soooo bored tongue.gif then I don't play for fun anymore, but because I have to, and that's when I stop playing tongue.gif

I went from lvl 3-4 to lvl 6 in 3 years >< but I had zero experience with soloing at all, I could only strum a few chords, not even bar chords wink.gif I don't think for a total unexperienced person to get to lvl 9 in a year.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 12 2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Kaznie,

I did have little knowledge in those 15-16 years. But I didn't have my own guitar and didn't really cared much after learning some chords and licks during my first 3-4 years (while at school). I didn't play much after that. Like I said, I bought my first electric guitar in 2003 and was able to have a modeling box in around 2005. I wouldn't say I started from zero because as you can see even level 2 lesson here at GMC is very very hard (I felt that when I started last year), and especially of Muris.

When I started out 'officially' with electric guitar and distortion effects, I had a LOT of noise issue, I couldn't play beyond 110bpm (16th notes), Even at 110bpm, it wasn't clear. I always tried my own thing.. never really practiced covers so most of things were just slow ones. As you can see, my vibrato wasn't that good in the beginning (it still isn't). I wasn't so hard core about guitar.. but loved to compose songs.. strum chords and write lyrics.

So, from GMC's point of view, I was at level 1 honestly. As you can see my first lesson was slow lesson and I was really struggling with it and it took like 2 hours of continuous shooting to get that one decent take. I always had that in the beginning even after 1 week of full practice.

As for 1 lick a full day, I am not bored. Frankly, I don't do anything at all. I sit there 1-2 hours and start playing the same lick over and over again, sometimes just 1 small section. I take a rest now and then and work (I work from home so thats easy). Then again when I don't feel like working, I try the same lick again. This is because I don't have any other goal.. but increase my speed.

Here is what I knew before joining GMC. Alternate Picking. I had looked into videos and what not and I knew AP, sometimes you pick with upstroke and sometimes down, inside /outside picking but this was again limited to just 110bpm and I really gave up trying to go past that. I wasn't perfect then too. String skipping, pick locking, upstrokes were major issues. The weird thing was, while I was at school, I always used to use downstroke and never knew you could upstroke. Even faster licks, I used to use downstroke only. After 3 years, I saw someone else use upstroke, then only I knew I could play faster. biggrin.gif

My main goal for the whole year has been to increase speed, go past 110bpm. AP is very difficult. I still feel that. I keep missing notes now too. Now I can do AP at around 170bpm. So, the lessons I have done included AP and others too.

You can see some of my earlier videos where I did covers of Satriani and how people are suggesting me to improve vibrato and if you can listen, timings are off.

I still don't know how to sweep (very slowly). Tapping is another weakness, economy picking, hybrid picking are others. Theory is the worst.

So, by level 9, I am only meaning the tempo at which I can play and what GMC has labeled the lesson as.

But seriously, I have seen people can shred in 1 year. Look at those kids out in youtube. A 12 year old can play Gilbert. You just have to give more than 10 hours a day in practicing. I am sure Vai did it in a year from 0 to hero (at least the speed part, might not be theory). The older years were, if you can play super fast, you are the best guitarist. Everybody tried to grab the speed part.

So, it is possible man.. Don't convince yourself its not.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 12 2010, 02:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fre
May 12 2010, 02:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
What did you use to record your (awesome) take? (Camcorder?, Pod?,..)
It's great video and sound quality.
Thanks,

Fre

This post has been edited by Fre: May 12 2010, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 12 2010, 04:02 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Fre.

I am using Mesa Boogie Triaxis, TC GForce recorded via Mbox 2 Pro / Pro Tools LE for sound.

The camera I am using is Canon 7D with EF 17-55mm f2.8.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:05 AM