Pickup Covers, Do they effect tone?
Mith
Jul 18 2014, 06:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
What are peoples opinions on pickup covers. Do people think they effect guitar tone? if they do in what ways do you think diffrent covers effect tone? For exsample the diffrence between metal covers and plastic covers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2014, 08:24 AM
Instructor
I personally haven't experienced the same pickups with and without covers so have never been able to make a comparison. But the general consensus with people seems to be that covers do make a bit of difference. Like slightly dulling off the very top end, removing a bit of juice.

Let's get some more answers on this... do covers reduce noise ? Is there a good reason for covers apart from aesthetics ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 18 2014, 08:37 AM
Instructor
Plastic covers don't affect the tone as much as metal. Metal covers are used as a shield. They do affect the treble response of the pickup (cut a bit of treble). But all those things vary on the pickup type and it doesn't mean that metal covers make the the tone dark and muddy. It's just a small but feltable amount of treble You can notice while comparing the same pickup with and without the cover.

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 18 2014, 09:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I guess if you have a naturally brighter guitar a metal cover on ur pickup might be what your after to smooth it all out a little but if you have a dark muddy guitar taking the covers off might open it up a little.

Just curious since I'm work in a engineering field and I'm already building a guitar in october and making my own pickups I'm thinking about making others for the rest of my guitars so they all have me own little personal flavor to them all.

and apparently nickel ones won't effect anything being non ferrous as well

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 18 2014, 04:01 PM
GMC:er
This ...

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 18 2014, 12:37 AM) *
Plastic covers don't affect the tone as much as metal. Metal covers are used as a shield. They do affect the treble response of the pickup (cut a bit of treble). But all those things vary on the pickup type and it doesn't mean that metal covers make the the tone dark and muddy. It's just a small but feltable amount of treble You can notice while comparing the same pickup with and without the cover.

Some folks hear a dramatic difference, some don't. There's so many other factors involved. Amount of (amp/pedal) gain for one thing not to mention your guitar cables and your pick and string choices.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 18 2014, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2014, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
It can help take some of the sizzle off of pickups that may be a pinch bright/harsh, but it could smooth out pups that are already smooth. One way to test is to take whatever material you are considering and pass it in front of your pups under the strings over the pups to see the impact. Also, if there are holes in the covers for the pole pieces that has a pinch of impact too smile.gif

But long story short, it's mostly cosmetic imho. I love the way a spiff pair of covers look which is why I got a pair from VONHOTCH to go on my HomeWrecker Punishers!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 18 2014, 01:00 AM) *
What are peoples opinions on pickup covers. Do people think they effect guitar tone? if they do in what ways do you think diffrent covers effect tone? For exsample the diffrence between metal covers and plastic covers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:55 PM