Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2015, 12:27 PM
Instructor
BADASS BLUES

A GMC Guitar Collaboration

Attached Image

Take it deep!

Here's the backing track.

Attached File  Badass_Blues_Collab_backing_track_140.mp3 ( 1.66MB ) Number of downloads: 734

Key Intel:
140bpm
G Minor Pentatonic
Gm / C7, D#, F#

Need to Know:
This is a Video collab
I'm going to give you ideas and we'll focus on a few key elements of phrasing until we build a solo that YOU are happy with!
Collab ENDS Thursday, 20th August

We have a month of badass fun together!

No need to ask permission or tell me you're in and all that crap. Just get involved. Post stuff! cool.gif

During this collab process, I'd like us to work on 2 key elements:
Using different tempos to make phrasing interesting
Varying a phrase using same or similar notes

First of all, here is a very common but effective 2 blues lick.

Attached File  Badass_Blues_Collab_ex1.mp3 ( 579.11K ) Number of downloads: 449

I'm using this to demonstrate the free time aspect to blues phrasing where you can place the notes over the beat wherever you feel like it but notice the first note followed by two quicker notes. That's what I want you to try first of all. Using the Gm Pentatonic scale in the first box position (see scale diagram) try to replicate what I do here.

Also notice the bend that quickly cuts off on the 2nd lick. Just use your index finger to slightly yank the string downwards a semitone before cutting the note off. When you cut the note off, use both your hands to aid in muting any string noise.

Attached Image

To help you, the licks I play only use the G and D strings and never move off the box position shown smile.gif

Ok, are you guys ready to show me some Badass Blues??????

-------------------------
EDIT - RESULTS:
-------------------------

Friends, Romans, Countrymen!

Here it is - the moment you've all been waiting for - the video for the Badass Blues Collab!

Kristofer: A very good effort. You are obviously new to the guitar and need guidance so I suggest you go check out GMC where there are loads of lessons and a forum full of helpful guitarists that you can learn from. We can help you work towards your next collab take!

Procyon: Nice opening bends here. I like your tone as well. Your flurry of notes at 0:48 is not sounding 100% coordinated which reduces the effect a bit but it still does the trick. Nice take overall, I would recommend working on synchronising the hands together for faster runs.

DeGroot: Really lovely take here. You seem to get the classic DG tone whether you're on Strat or Les Paul. Love the Friedman style bends near the beginning a lot!

Bleez: Really measured and tasteful take here from the Great Scot. Mayhem T shirt + blues. Only at GMC wink.gif You've got the themes that repeat throughout your solo with little variations and you've got that nice whole tone and a half bend to end it with - one of your best.

Laurent: Nice, rounded tone here. I feel you could work on improving your hand coordination as well as there are some unwanted string noises between your intended notes. I eventually noticed that you seem to play using only upstrokes! I can't imagine doing that - does it not feel awkward? That might explain the coordination issues because your picking will always be behind your fretting hand if you want to do quicker phrases. Nice mixture of natural minor and minor pentatonic like we talked about.

Moss: Really nice ideas in here, Moss. Like Bleez, you've taken on board the idea of setting up some repeating phrases that have little variations. If you hone your bending pitches a bit you'll be getting some real sexy stuff happening - nice chewy tone as well smile.gif

George: You're a bit good aren't you? Go home and stop making the rest of us look bad, ok? Seriously, though - brilliant phrasing, great control, tasteful double stops, great technique. Really enjoyed this and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Todd Simpson: Another instructor coming to the party - I've seen you before. Aren't you the one who has trouble with his alternate picking? You need to check out an instructor at GMC called Todd, he'll sort your lazy picking hand out in no time! Great input T-Master, this could be the mellowest we've managed to get you yet!

Jim S: Great use of modal scales and arpeggios next the traditional pentatonic style licks. I also like the way you're very free with your timing and you let your runs dance across the beat at your behest, which is the way I like to play. Nice, warm tone too.

Ben Higgins: Yeah, you and Kristofer really need to get some lessons. It's nice to see you having a go... with some help from the instructors and fellow students we might see you working on yor vibrato, bending, timing and maybe even do some REC takes?

This was a great collab. I know that some of you felt a little out of your comfort zone with a blues track but you persevered with it and ended up all pulling something good out of the bag. Hopefully you all feel happy with what you did and hopefully some of you even got some new phrasing ideas during the process which is really the end goal of doing these collabs. Each one is like a stepping stone of experience where you get to test new ideas and learn from it. The work you did for this collab wasn't just for this collab, it was for the next one, and the next one after that.

Thanks for participating and stay badass!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 20 2015, 01:26 PM
GMC Founder
IN! wink.gif ph34r.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 20 2015, 06:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Out,

Shake it all about smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 20 2015, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 20 2015, 12:26 PM) *
IN! wink.gif ph34r.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Cool, well this collab will at least have me and Mr Dahl on it!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 20 2015, 07:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm in too! smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 20 2015, 10:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm in! Maybe I'll actually finish it this time....

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 20 2015, 11:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm in really, when I return from Portugal wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 21 2015, 12:03 AM
Learning Roadie
yeah, i cannot say no..... it's pathologic !!

i'am in.....

Laurent

a first shot ...... one shot !!

i'm too much hot tonight !!! don" beware about false notes, only get the ideas

https://soundcloud.com/maxime-bon-3/test-blues-bad-ass

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2015, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 20 2015, 11:03 PM) *

i'am in.....

Laurent

Laurent

Ok great! Good to have some action already.

Be careful of those 'false notes' as you called them and next time I think you should try a version with less notes. Then maybe add a bit more as the track moves on... so start slow and sparse and build it up a little as it moves forward?

Also try that lick I posted biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 21 2015, 09:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I think you should try a version with less notes

yes of course,i was a bit exited, cause yesterday was a great guitar day for me, i have another declic and my play have change the time of a session with my friends and professor Yann,(he is a professional jazz player, but unfortunatly i see him once a month) and yesterday i have change something, i rip him in two with a personnal version of Sunny, i do not record this, it's so sad.

back to our bad ass , i try to do less and better wink.gif

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2015, 12:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 21 2015, 08:29 AM) *
yes of course,i was a bit exited, cause yesterday was a great guitar day for me,

Hey that's all cool... I love it when I pick up the guitar and have a good session! It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's a nice surprise

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 21 2015, 01:09 PM
GMC:er
I'm sure I'll be able to find time to throw some Melodic ideas in here!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Jul 21 2015, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Count me in, Ben!

QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Jul 21 2015, 03:05 PM) *
Count me in, Ben!

Sorry, that was a crap sentense wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2015, 02:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Jul 21 2015, 01:12 PM) *
Count me in, Ben!

Sorry, that was a crap sentense wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cheeky man - it will be an honour to have you on board!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 21 2015, 06:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
nice one Mr H smile.gif seems like ages since there was a video collab! Im defo in.
Im feeling kinda burnt out with my playing recently so some cold ass blues will be awesome to focus on cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 21 2015, 05:46 PM) *
some cold ass blues cool.gif

I love that phrase!! biggrin.gif

Welcome to the party cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 22 2015, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Has anybody had a play with that first 2 note lick I posted?

It can be deceptively hard to get it to sound right but stick with it!

+Quote Post
krakou
Jul 22 2015, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 22 2015, 04:37 PM) *
Has anybody had a play with that first 2 note lick I posted?

It can be deceptively hard to get it to sound right but stick with it!

I'm back from work, no kids and no wife @ home now.

Perfect to play a little with that cool backing !

+Quote Post
krakou
Jul 22 2015, 04:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Got this for the moment, based on the 2 licks proposed.
Can be improved of course..

This post has been edited by krakou: Jul 22 2015, 04:59 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BluesBadass1.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 259

+Quote Post
Shanky3286
Jul 23 2015, 07:23 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 20 2015, 11:03 PM) *

i'am in.....

Laurent

Laurent

Nice buddy! Good try. Will post my own soon :-)

QUOTE (krakou @ Jul 22 2015, 03:56 PM) *
Got this for the moment, based on the 2 licks proposed.
Can be improved of course..

Very good going buddy! Enjoyed listening to this!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:07 AM