left handed [ 3 ] ** [4.05%]
im a lefty but i play right handed [ 8 ] ** [10.81%]
im a righty but i play left handed [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 74
Guests cannot vote 
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
actually the hand you write in is what defines you by standart. there another thing that i wont mention here.
in my personal experience at least i recommend using the hand you write in to pick. even if it means you can use only a small number of guitars because youre a lefty.
from my experience that the best way to get results. it is so much more precise and fast from years of writing and drawing and thats very hard to teach the other hand.
i think the best played will not be a perf right or a lefty. the optimal situation is someone who writes with his right hand and throws balls and stuff life that with his left

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joruus
Jan 24 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't think that counts in my case.. (I'm a special case ;D)
I barely write anything on paper the last 5 years, and using mouse mainly in right hand gives it a lot of precision.
Also i use my (tig) welding torch right handed 40 hours a week tongue.gif

I think i just write lefthanded cause they didn't care enough at first school to make me write right handed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Joruus: Jan 24 2009, 07:55 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 24 2009, 07:58 PM
Ambidextrious, I write with left and right hand without problem, I can do nearly everything I do with my left too. But I play normal guitar, because its easy to find laugh.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 24 2009, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Right handed

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 24 2009, 08:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 24 2009, 06:08 PM) *
When i started, it really didn't crossed my mind to use left handed guitars. Later, when i saw the first left hand guitar, i honestly thought the fretting hand does way more complicated things as the picking hand will ever do, i was and maybe still am quite stupid biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif .. my picking problem is, i spend so much time with picking exercises, since months. I gain more and more control but not even 1 bpm to speed. 16th notes at 120 is and stays the limit, after synchronization is a question of luck.

Monte, you have a alt. picking paranoia as well i heard. You think there is healing for us ? .. biggrin.gif

I doubt it for me. biggrin.gif I don't know what the problem is. I can pick pretty decent on 1 string but the minute I try to change strings it all goes to crap!! laugh.gif Probably why my legato and tapping are so much more developed. For whatever reason it is just alot easier for me. I have decided to try and develop my economy picking. I think that is the only way I will ever get any kind of speed with the pick and I think I have the potential to get some speed with it. Don't tell Muris tho!! ph34r.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Jan 24 2009, 08:19 PM

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
Jan 24 2009, 08:20 PM
Right handed smile.gif

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 24 2009, 08:28 PM
If I have to eat soup I automatically grab the spoon with my left hand... even if it's on the other side of the plate laugh.gif Other then that I do everything with my right hand.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 24 2009, 08:32 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Right handed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Wabba
Jan 24 2009, 08:47 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I pick with my right hand. So I'm right handed if that's what it means.

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 24 2009, 09:03 PM
If I have to eat soup I automatically grab the spoon with my left hand... even if it's on the other side of the plate laugh.gif Other then that I do everything with my right hand.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 24 2009, 09:47 PM
well as i thoght. about 10 precent are left handed and half of them play right handed.
but i think those companies are forgetting that 5 precent of guitar players is a hack of a lot of people and if there will be a left handed jem and not many other elite models for lefties to compete they can own the market

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 24 2009, 09:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Standard "boring" righty 'ere smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 25 2009, 01:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 24 2009, 08:18 PM) *
I doubt it for me. biggrin.gif I don't know what the problem is. I can pick pretty decent on 1 string but the minute I try to change strings it all goes to crap!! laugh.gif Probably why my legato and tapping are so much more developed. For whatever reason it is just alot easier for me. I have decided to try and develop my economy picking. I think that is the only way I will ever get any kind of speed with the pick and I think I have the potential to get some speed with it. Don't tell Muris tho!! ph34r.gif laugh.gif

I will say nothing, but i'm afraid Muris knows already .. biggrin.gif
I think it needs just more practice. My right wrist is not enough developed because as i'm left handed and do a lot of things mainly with my left hand. To brush my teeth for example wink.gif. Further, an accident in 2004 damaged my right arm/hand and i guess this didn't really added some value to the muscles ether biggrin.gif. But it will come together one day, i'm still positive smile.gif

Your legato is indeed super high developed Monte. I can imagine that it will be hard work for you to bring your picking to a corresponding level, but it's worth it. Just force yourself to work on it. Economy picking is great, but it doesn't have the same attack as alternate picking. I often think economy picking adds just another color to legato, whereas alt picking is the complete opposite of legato sound.

+Quote Post
Paiva
Jan 25 2009, 01:27 AM
I write with my left and play with right handed but the playing it wasn't anything forced the first time I picked a guitar it was like all my life I had been right handed.

And Yeah I "have" the same thing as the threadstarter I do everything in my right side when I kick a football it is with my right foot and so on but when I write I write with my left hand

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jan 25 2009, 01:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Right-handed. I've flipped my guitar around and tried to pick with my left hand, but playing notes on just one string is extremely difficult ... just like a complete beginner!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 25 2009, 01:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 25 2009, 01:16 AM) *
I will say nothing, but i'm afraid Muris knows already .. biggrin.gif
I think it needs just more practice. My right wrist is not enough developed because as i'm left handed and do a lot of things mainly with my left hand. To brush my teeth for example wink.gif. Further, an accident in 2004 damaged my right arm/hand and i guess this didn't really added some value to the muscles ether biggrin.gif. But it will come together one day, i'm still positive smile.gif

Your legato is indeed super high developed Monte. I can imagine that it will be hard work for you to bring your picking to a corresponding level, but it's worth it. Just force yourself to work on it. Economy picking is great, but it doesn't have the same attack as alternate picking. I often think economy picking adds just another color to legato, whereas alt picking is the complete opposite of legato sound.

You know Andy, I know you are right. When I first started playing back in the 80's my favorite guitar players were Vai, Satch, Vito Bratta, and EVH. All prolific legato type players. The only one out of those 4 who I have even heard do anything that might be considered an alternate picked run would be Vai. I spent my early years trying to imitate these guys so as you can see the end result is that I have pretty decent tapping and legato but I couldn't pick my way out of a paper bag. laugh.gif laugh.gif Too be honest my ear has never been attracted to the alternate picked sound and I love the shapes that economy picking allows me to play but I have really never spent a ton of time on this technique either. I REALLY need to do as you and Muris say and just force myself to do it. It will be a good tool in my tool bag but I think it frustrates me to be able to play so much more fluidly with my tapping and legato and for my picking to just be a mess. laugh.gif laugh.gif I am determined to get some picking chops this year and I have actually set aside quite a bit of time in my practice routine this year to conquer Hybrid, Alternate and Economy picking. When I joined this site 5 months ago I was blown away by how amazing Muris was at EVERY technique. Wish me luck, maybe there will be some healing after all. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 25 2009, 02:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 25 2009, 01:59 AM) *
You know Andy, I know you are right. When I first started playing back in the 80's my favorite guitar players were Vai, Satch, Vito Bratta, and EVH. All prolific legato type players. The only one out of those 4 who I have even heard do anything that might be considered an alternate picked run would be Vai. I spent my early years trying to imitate these guys so as you can see the end result is that I have pretty decent tapping and legato but I couldn't pick my way out of a paper bag. laugh.gif laugh.gif Too be honest my ear has never been attracted to the alternate picked sound and I love the shapes that economy picking allows me to play but I have really never spent a ton of time on this technique either. I REALLY need to do as you and Muris say and just force myself to do it. It will be a good tool in my tool bag but I think it frustrates me to be able to play so much more fluidly with my tapping and legato and for my picking to just be a mess. laugh.gif laugh.gif I am determined to get some picking chops this year and I have actually set aside quite a bit of time in my practice routine this year to conquer Hybrid, Alternate and Economy picking. When I joined this site 5 months ago I was blown away by how amazing Muris was at EVERY technique. Wish me luck, maybe there will be some healing after all. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I think we both started around the same time smile.gif. If you remember, there were no internet around and only a few and very expensive videos available. All the songs and solos i learned back then i learned from books or by ear and i was more concentrated on the notes and not really on different technics. If it sounded similar to what i have heard, i was happy smile.gif. Between the time i stopped playing and started again 2 years ago, i didn't followed a all what was going on in the guitar world. Now suddenly i can see all the different players on video, see their technic and i was blown away about the differences and how everything developed over the years.

If you are not so much attracted to the sound of alt. picking, then there is no reason to bring this to extreme levels, but a bit more so that you don't see it as a handicap anymore. I try to get away from this to put my goals too high.
Hybrid picking is btw a lot of fun. Depends which level you are trying to reach, but for me it has just started to pick notes with my ring finger from time to time, instead to skip a string with the pick and it feels really comfortable.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 25 2009, 06:38 AM
Instructor
I'm right-handed smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jan 25 2009, 06:50 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm left handed. I strung my brothers guitar upside down in the very first few months of playing, but when I went to buy my first guitar, the salesman talked me into a right handed one.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 25 2009, 08:05 AM
QUOTE (JamesT @ Jan 25 2009, 07:50 AM) *
I'm left handed. I strung my brothers guitar upside down in the very first few months of playing, but when I went to buy my first guitar, the salesman talked me into a right handed one.

and you think you would be better if you stuck to your left hand?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:34 AM