Black Sabbath Paranoid Cover
yoncopin
May 24 2015, 05:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've been working on this one for about a month and am pretty proud of the end result. I tried a lot of new recording techniques and think it turned out pretty good. Give it a listen and let me know what you think!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2015, 10:59 PM
Instructor
This is fantastic! I've already commented at the mentoring thread, you rock!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
May 25 2015, 08:16 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
sounds good to me smile.gif nice job.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 27 2015, 08:33 AM
GMC Founder
Yeah, killer playing! The energy and details are so right. Well done! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 27 2015, 09:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think that you nailed this one! smile.gif

BTW - thanks for reminding me of this song as it brings so many cool memories for me, it was the one I played with the first band, it was actually a first time for me to play with a band and to be in a rehearsal room. Even though I remember it as the best thing ever, I don't think we played really well in reality but who cares, we had so much fun hehe smile.gif

Your cover sounds really good, and I like that everything matches up for a good cover: timing is very good, your sound matches the original guitar sound vibe and you got the details down as well as the solo well. Those details are what makes or breaks a cover for me and your take feels polished from start to finish which is great. BTW, if you ever decide to make a full cover of this one (record/program all the instruments), let me know - I'd be glad to play the bass part.

Which song are you planning to cover next?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 27 2015, 06:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen and post. It's great to get feedback from other players biggrin.gif

Bogdan, I would have liked to record all the parts but couldn't find just a vocal track. I'd like to do that in the future because I'm trying to improve my audio production as much as my guitar playing. Maybe on future songs I'll have more luck, have any suggestions for how to solve that problem? There's no way I'm singing...

I'm working on Gab's In Flames Style Lesson right now, but think I may try to learn AC/DC Back in Black next. It's another classic tune that I think most guitarists know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 27 2015, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 27 2015, 07:14 PM) *
Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen and post. It's great to get feedback from other players biggrin.gif

Bogdan, I would have liked to record all the parts but couldn't find just a vocal track. I'd like to do that in the future because I'm trying to improve my audio production as much as my guitar playing. Maybe on future songs I'll have more luck, have any suggestions for how to solve that problem? There's no way I'm singing...

I'm working on Gab's In Flames Style Lesson right now, but think I may try to learn AC/DC Back in Black next. It's another classic tune that I think most guitarists know.

There is this track on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_slATyDveO4

I think that those tracks are stolen from Guitar Hero and Rock Band games where they have original multitrack layers of famous songs.

Another (IMO better) way would be to just find someone interested in singing Black Sabbath - Paranoid for us here at GMC? smile.gif
You could then practice mixing everything up with bass, vocals etc.

Do you have a way to program drums?

AC/DC Back In Black is a great song as well smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 28 2015, 03:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, I have Superior Drummer but very little experience using it other than as a really fancy metronome. I'd really like to learn to use it effectively. I'll just leave an open invite here for anyone who wants to sing. I can download that Youtube audio to make room for your bass part, and if you record a DI to that video I can do the rest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 28 2015, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 28 2015, 04:28 PM) *
Yes, I have Superior Drummer but very little experience using it other than as a really fancy metronome. I'd really like to learn to use it effectively. I'll just leave an open invite here for anyone who wants to sing. I can download that Youtube audio to make room for your bass part, and if you record a DI to that video I can do the rest.

Sounds like a plan - watch this space! smile.gif
I'm off to practice the bass line now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 29 2015, 10:24 PM
Hey - I'm back with my take smile.gif

Download it here: Attached File  Bole_bass_take_for_Paranoid.wav.zip ( 20.32MB ) Number of downloads: 163

Please let me know how this one works out and if it fits with guitars and other stuff? I've played it over the youtube drum n vocals video. It's been awhile since I played this song so I can re-record it if different vibe or corrections are needed. Just let me know smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 29 2015, 11:10 PM
BTW - I've recorded this one DI.

Here is the photo of the setup:

Attached Image

I went from Markbass Super Booster pedal which has a great quality DI built in, to line input of my Line 6 UX2 audio interface. I've added a bit of gain on the super booster pedal itself to get a nice level. I used Reaper to capture the audio recording while playing along with the drum n vocals track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2015, 01:03 AM
GMC:er
Congrats!! Putting a full song together is an achievement. Sounds very much like the original! What did you use for the guitars? Were you going for a sort of lofi tony iomi 70s marshall thing?

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 24 2015, 12:55 PM) *
I've been working on this one for about a month and am pretty proud of the end result. I tried a lot of new recording techniques and think it turned out pretty good. Give it a listen and let me know what you think!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
May 30 2015, 07:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome Bogdan! I'll try to mix it all up this weekend. You did that really fast. Did you play with your fingers or with a pick?

Todd, for the guitars I used my Line6 Pod HD500X with a Marshall Plexi model. I was definitely trying to match the original as much as possible. Any suggestions/tips on the tone or recording?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2015, 08:08 PM
It sounds like you double tracked the guitars which is always good IMHO smile.gif sometimes, folks will "quad track" guitars (four guitar tracks) and layer them in panned slightly differently. One thing to remember on double/quad tracking guitars is that the more guitars you use, the less distortion is needed. You have a pretty light distortion on the plexi so it's working well smile.gif Like an old Marshall turned way up.

Do you have any reverb on the guitar tone? Tony iomi used to have a "room tone" type of reverb (usually listed in presets as studio or garage) which was just his amps in the room turned up and some mics in the room to pick it up.

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 30 2015, 02:44 PM) *
Awesome Bogdan! I'll try to mix it all up this weekend. You did that really fast. Did you play with your fingers or with a pick?

Todd, for the guitars I used my Line6 Pod HD500X with a Marshall Plexi model. I was definitely trying to match the original as much as possible. Any suggestions/tips on the tone or recording?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 30 2015, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 30 2015, 08:44 PM) *

I played this one with the fingers. Please let me know how it fits the mix?
There is always an option for you to send me a mix with guitars so I can better fit the groove along.

Looking forward to see how this one turns out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
greedy1234
Jun 3 2015, 05:09 PM
very good mate keep it good regards from mark in london rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 3 2015, 11:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, I've never mixed a bass guitar so I hope the levels are right and it sounds good. I used Amplitube to give it a 70's-esque bass amp sound.

I didn't realize until just now that you are the GMC bass instructor, I thought you just did guitar. I took at your lesson syllabus and it looks like a lot of fun to start doing some bass work as a change of pace. I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass that I'd love to be able to play better.

Hope you like the cover!

https://soundcloud.com/pragmapack/black-sabbath-paranoid-cover

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 4 2015, 12:27 AM
Hey man - this sounds great! smile.gif
It was a pleasure to rock out with you in this tune. Can't wait to blast it full volume tomorrow on my monitor speakers! smile.gif

It was really fun to play this song, you did well with coloring the bass and that is something which is not easy to achieve. Usually it is easy to loose the bass character and definition by coloring it too much but in this mix it sits nicely and I like that you didn't turn it up too loud so it gives color to the song yet it is not "in your face".

Hey that is a very interesting bass you have, I always wanted to try out such combination of pickups and it seems to bring the best of both worlds (jazz bass and precision bass). Let me know if you'd like to get more involved in bass playing as I'd be glad to help you out (bass mentoring is also always an option). Having basic skills on multiple instruments is IMO very beneficial since not only skills do transfer but also you get to listen to music from a completely different perspective. In the end, being able to play bass means much better backing tracks and home made recordings than if you would program the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 4 2015, 03:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
You too, thanks for giving me a chance to try something new. I'll check out some of your bass beginner lessons between some of my guitar work. Thanks for offering the mentoring, I wouldn't want to commit to it unless I can give 100% but I'm glad to know it's an option.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:53 PM