32 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2019, 03:23 AM
GMC:er
Well Fought Soldier!!! This one is all about the LEFT HAND. It's the LEFT HAND PATH as it were smile.gif Once you get your left hand power up to snuff, picking becomes a tone choice, not something that has to be done. As you continue, your hand will get stronger and stronger and eventually, your ears won't really hear much difference between left hand only and picked notes, other than extra attack on picked notes. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY POWER: Well done on using the tiny finger without a pick! You may notice that I keep coming back to the PINKY. It's the least appreciated finger. Yet it's CRUCIAL to becoming a better player. One can only get so far using the first 3 fingers on the left hand. Keep up your PINKY PROVING GROUND!

PACE: You have a good sense of timing on these which is impressive given that you can't use the pick on this one!! You may also notice I mention the pace quite a bit. It's yet another crucial element. If you rush/lag, then it wrecks your ability to make progress imho. It's almost instinctual to play easy bits faster and harder bits slower. This yields wildly uneven playing. Good news is, you don't do that.

PRECISION: Hitting all of these with enough power to make a note without hitting the wrong fret is not easy. Nice! You are moving at a good clip as well!!

Keep doing these types of drills and apply them to every scale and lick that you know. It will make your left hand stronger and that's the key to a huge library of licks. In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 14 2019, 06:23 PM) *
Somehow, it's much easier to play this exercises faster than slower. Most of the time, I skip the metronome but I still try to use it regularly (mostly for recording the missions) to keep track of my progress. Also, I was suggested to listen to Bach for 30 minutes to 1 hour everyday and I'm starting tomorrow. It's supposed to help me in the path I've chosen! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 15 2019, 05:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's the 61!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2019, 06:40 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! Yet another chance to work the living crap out of your PINKY!!! This one is almost a vacation compared to the ones before/after. I tried to ease up a bit and keep your hand from melting/burning off. You kept your precision and technique and turned in a killer mission!
Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGGRESSION: Jumped in and started shooting!!! Love it.
*PRECISION: Per usual, attention paid to precision and control. Score!!
*BLOOD ON THE FRETBOARD: You have earned it Soldier. You deserve to be here at this spot.
This Mission is just a short break on your way to triple digits. There are still many ups and downs ahead of you. You are more than ready for it Soldier!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 15 2019, 12:28 PM) *
Here's the 61!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2020, 07:20 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 16 2019, 09:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 16 2019, 06:40 AM) *
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! Yet another chance to work the living crap out of your PINKY!!! This one is almost a vacation compared to the ones before/after. I tried to ease up a bit and keep your hand from melting/burning off. You kept your precision and technique and turned in a killer mission!

This is true. I'm already noticing improvements in how much I can stretch and with this obstacle out of the way it's mostly a workout for the pinky. But it all requires a constant effort, I think. Taking a break would probably set me back for days now.

Here's 62! It wasn't much of a trouble to do quad picking in general but definitely a skill worth practicing and improving!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 16 2019, 09:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2019, 06:45 AM
Well fought Soldier!! I only meant that the previous lesson was a "break" in that it was not quite as difficult as most of the other recent lessons. Still a good workout though smile.gif As for this one, another GOOD FIGHT well FOUGHT!!!!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

MUTE GAME IS STRONG: If you skimp on muting, this Missions sounds like MUSH, well done.

PICK GAME IS STRONG: Precision picking, hitting only the strings you plan to hit. Not easy with this much traverse.

ARTICULATION: These shapes are tricky and so is the picking, you nailed em!!!
Your Multi Picking is coming along great!! These lessons have quite a bit of multi picking madness. It will serve you well as you move forward. You got this well in hand Soldier. You are ready for your next CHEVRON BADGE in the next Mission!

In other words, you just ..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 16 2019, 04:47 PM) *
This is true. I'm already noticing improvements in how much I can stretch and with this obstacle out of the way it's mostly a workout for the pinky. But it all requires a constant effort, I think. Taking a break would probably set me back for days now.

Here's 62! It wasn't much of a trouble to do quad picking in general but definitely a skill worth practicing and improving!

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 17 2019, 10:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2019, 06:45 AM) *
Well fought Soldier!! I only meant that the previous lesson was a "break" in that it was not quite as difficult as most of the other recent lessons. Still a good workout though smile.gif As for this one, another GOOD FIGHT well FOUGHT!!!!! Let's Debrief!!

Your Multi Picking is coming along great!! These lessons have quite a bit of multi picking madness. It will serve you well as you move forward. You got this well in hand Soldier. You are ready for your next CHEVRON BADGE in the next Mission!

I know and it did feel like a "break" but it made me think how I can't imagine taking a break, I mean completely stop playing for a few days/weeks. When I suffered from depression few years ago I didn't play at all for 1-2 years. Then after I somewhat recovered, I played once or twice a week. The guitar was in the gig bag when not used. Now that I have my amp ready to play and guitars are up on the wall I play few times a day, so just this change made a big difference. I wish I realized that sooner!

Anyway, I'm ready for what's to come! I tried mission 89 and if I got the instructions right, it wasn't that bad. So when the time comes, I'll be ready as always!

EDIT: I've found a super cheap RG-Prestige-like guitar. It's not an Ibanez but I have 2 guitars made by this luthier's brand already and there's not a SINGLE bad thing about either. I trust it well enough to get another one! Well, it does have the same stock pups as my first guitar but I have that EMG set just for the occasion. I'll just make sure they fit but H4 is often used cheap F-spaced guitars and it does have rails instead of pole pieces.

I know your attitude towards Ibanez but I feel the same towards Samick and I believe that I was destined to stay up this late and find this auction smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 18 2019, 12:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2019, 05:35 AM
Great to hear you've hung your guitars up and leave your amp at the ready!! having ones gear ready to go is a BIG deal imho. I've seen so many players who feel the need to put every bit of their gear away, in cases, under the bed, in a closet etc. Just to keep dust from getting on it. Sadly, this results in playing a bit less often as it's just a bit of a pain to pull everything out. I always suggest that folks have at least once guitar that is simply always at the ready. Let it get a bit dusty if it has to. It's just dust. After all, a guitar is meant to be played, not kept in a vacuum sealed bubble. If an instrument is so precious that one is reluctant to play it, I'd say sell it. It's useless. smile.gif I have gotten down to only a few guitars at this point. I had gotten up to more than a a dozen. Some of them I barely ever played. I realized the folly of this and sold the ones I had not played for a couple of weeks.

As for the new one, if you feel led to grab it then grab it!!! smile.gif Look forward to seeing it smile.gif I'm a big Ibanez/RG fan due to the fact I LOVE the ultra thin Wizard neck. The wizard II and wizard III neck are a bit more bulky and don't feel as fast or as easy to play, but that's just me. Every player is different. Some people hate thin guitar necks.

On to our Mission! Let's DEBRIEF!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

SYNCH: Per usual you have really tight right and left hand synch. One slip and it would show up.

STRETCH: This requires a huge stretch and you nail it!

PRECISION: If you play this Mission sloppy, it shows up quick. You handled it with a high degree of precision.
You have handled yourself well soldier. You have gotten a good grip on all the bits that are required ot make it to this point. From this point forward, you are in the deeeeeep end of the swimming pool. Many a fine Soldier have seen their hopes dashed against the rocks of the higher echelon of Missions. I don't think you will be stopped though. I think you will be the first one to tackle this next section of Missions and push through to FINAL VICTORY and break the dreaded TRIPLE DIGIT BARRIER!!!!!!!! There have been several staunch fighters who have come up just short of Triple Digits. This is your chance to set a new record!!!! So begins the long night of the soul. From 60 to 100. You got this!!!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 17 2019, 05:15 PM) *
I know and it did feel like a "break" but it made me think how I can't imagine taking a break, I mean completely stop playing for a few days/weeks. When I suffered from depression few years ago I didn't play at all for 1-2 years. Then after I somewhat recovered, I played once or twice a week. The guitar was in the gig bag when not used. Now that I have my amp ready to play and guitars are up on the wall I play few times a day, so just this change made a big difference. I wish I realized that sooner!

Anyway, I'm ready for what's to come! I tried mission 89 and if I got the instructions right, it wasn't that bad. So when the time comes, I'll be ready as always!

EDIT: I've found a super cheap RG-Prestige-like guitar. It's not an Ibanez but I have 2 guitars made by this luthier's brand already and there's not a SINGLE bad thing about either. I trust it well enough to get another one! Well, it does have the same stock pups as my first guitar but I have that EMG set just for the occasion. I'll just make sure they fit but H4 is often used cheap F-spaced guitars and it does have rails instead of pole pieces.

I know your attitude towards Ibanez but I feel the same towards Samick and I believe that I was destined to stay up this late and find this auction smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 18 2019, 11:37 PM
Learning Roadie
With this mission I had a blast re-visiting Wasted Years and I almost forgot to record the video!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 19 2019, 05:07 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is the officially your BAPTISM OF FIRE to prepare you to break new ground and go where no Soldier has EVER gone before!!! You are well on your way to breaking records!!!!
Let's Debrief......

MEDALS OF HONOR

ZERO NOISE: Any string noise sticks on on single string work as you are only wanting to hear one string. Sympathetic vibrations of the other strings can ring unless muted. Not here well done!

TIGHT SYNCH:
Spot on right and left hand synch. Tight as a drum!

CONFIDENCE IS HIGH: You are playing with the confidence of a seasoned pro, I sense no hesitation in your playing at all. Nicely done!

You hit all the bits that I was looking for on this one Soldier. Each Mission has certain bits that are hit or miss. If it's a miss, you get to fight it over, but you hit it square center mass!! This bodes well for what's to come. There are a LOT of moving parts in this one. If you were going to fold, this could have been the one. No sign of folding!! Just like they say "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE". You could be the one Soldier!!! keep it up!!
In other words you just.....

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 18 2019, 06:37 PM) *
With this mission I had a blast re-visiting Wasted Years and I almost forgot to record the video!

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 20 2019, 02:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 19 2019, 05:07 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! This is the officially your BAPTISM OF FIRE to prepare you to break new ground and go where no Soldier has EVER gone before!!! You are well on your way to breaking records!!!!

I'm more than ready for that! If I'm to blaze the trails for other GMC-ers, so be it! Meanwhile, here's my video for 65 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2019, 05:56 AM
Perhaps the thing I"m most proud of is that you can keep a palm mute while you articulate the pick. That one thing is something that can barely be taught. The hand has to find it's own way. Every person approaches is slightly differently in terms of angle/pressure/separation of pick and mute, etc. It should develop naturally so that it's not forced. Your technique has developed very naturally without me banging on about it. SUPER SCORE!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

STICKING THE LANDING: The last note in each bit is just as important as the first note. It needs the same focus and power. Some folks back off by the time they hit the last note. Not you!!
CLEAN AS A WHISTLE: Not skipping notes, not missing beats, nice.
PICKING LIKE A MAD MAN: LOTS of picking on this one. Every single note needs a strike. No problem for you!!!

In other words, you are more than ready for the next mission, ...
You just.

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge
quote name='Adam M' post='767009' date='Mar 19 2019, 09:07 PM']I'm more than ready for that! If I'm to blaze the trails for other GMC-ers, so be it! Meanwhile, here's my video for 65 smile.gif

[/quote]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 24 2020, 12:14 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 20 2019, 11:08 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 20 2019, 05:56 AM) *
Perhaps the thing I"m most proud of is that you can keep a palm mute while you articulate the pick. That one thing is something that can barely be taught. The hand has to find it's own way. Every person approaches is slightly differently in terms of angle/pressure/separation of pick and mute, etc. It should develop naturally so that it's not forced. Your technique has developed very naturally without me banging on about it. SUPER SCORE!!!!

I'm happy you like my muting technique. I suppose I have Metallica to thank for that - ever since I first picked up guitar I tried learning their songs (still can't play any start to finish) and palm muting is probably the only thing I picked up. I also got a book called Art of James Hetfield years ago and there it says that proper palm muting and downpicking is crucial to thrash genre. Also, hence I made the other post about BFMV's track and downpicking - I feel like it's time to get serious about it! And BFMV first started by playing Metallica's famous songs in pubs etc. so that's probably where they got it.

Lately I've been struggling to learn sweep picking which also requires precise muting. I still can't do it (I'll make a demo video soon, so maybe you could give me some advice about it) but my muting did improve a little.

About my new-to-be guitar, I feel really bad about buying it because its stock pickups are OEM versions of Duncans Jazz Neck and JB and imho they sound better than USA versions. I just found out about it and compared the two sets. I'm going to put my Legend set that is currently in my SG and I plan putting passive EMGs into the SG, so I'd have a guitars tuned specifically for shreddy stuff and the other one for thrash and metalcore. That only means this OEM Duncan set will waste away unused which is a bit sad. I already have an OEM SH-6 set that's great too but too few guitars to use it.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 20 2019, 11:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2019, 03:38 AM
Muting is very much crucial for playing any type of heavy music. It's really important in lead work as well, which is something that somehow gets overlooked sometimes. Not by me though!!BFMV kick ass! They do great covers of Thrash tunes. I think they should make a double cd of nothing but thrash covers. Maybe they will at some point!

Congrats on your new axe! sounds like you have a plan for all the bits as well. Look forward to seeing it in action!!!
Sweep picking is an art in and unto itself. The same rules apply though that exist for any technique. Start slow, play in a precise and clean manner. Push the speed up each chance you get. Allow it to fall apart by playing much too fast just to see how it feels. This is just part of the process. IT's ok to shoot for something way over ones current level. Eventually, it won't be over your current level. You just have to close the gap between current level and future level. We do have some sweep bits in bootcamp. Gabe has a killer sweep technique and I'm sure he can isolate some gmc lessons to focus on. Between the two of us, we will turn you in to a PURE MONSTER!!
Let's Debrief!!!..
MEDALS OF HONOR

FINGER TWISTING: This little diddy is built to turn your fingers in to a knot. Any tension and the hands just fail. Not here!!!
TRAVERSE: This one is non stop string traverse. Without the ability to traverse, one is stuck. You traverse like a Mad man!!

TIME: Smooth as glass and like clockwork! Nice and tight!!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Sarge
Can't wait to see you chew through the next few Soldier!!

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 20 2019, 06:08 PM) *
I'm happy you like my muting technique. I suppose I have Metallica to thank for that - ever since I first picked up guitar I tried learning their songs (still can't play any start to finish) and palm muting is probably the only thing I picked up. I also got a book called Art of James Hetfield years ago and there it says that proper palm muting and downpicking is crucial to thrash genre. Also, hence I made the other post about BFMV's track and downpicking - I feel like it's time to get serious about it! And BFMV first started by playing Metallica's famous songs in pubs etc. so that's probably where they got it.

Lately I've been struggling to learn sweep picking which also requires precise muting. I still can't do it (I'll make a demo video soon, so maybe you could give me some advice about it) but my muting did improve a little.

About my new-to-be guitar, I feel really bad about buying it because its stock pickups are OEM versions of Duncans Jazz Neck and JB and imho they sound better than USA versions. I just found out about it and compared the two sets. I'm going to put my Legend set that is currently in my SG and I plan putting passive EMGs into the SG, so I'd have a guitars tuned specifically for shreddy stuff and the other one for thrash and metalcore. That only means this OEM Duncan set will waste away unused which is a bit sad. I already have an OEM SH-6 set that's great too but too few guitars to use it.

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 22 2019, 01:48 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 21 2019, 03:38 AM) *
Muting is very much crucial for playing any type of heavy music. It's really important in lead work as well, which is something that somehow gets overlooked sometimes. Not by me though!!BFMV kick ass! They do great covers of Thrash tunes. I think they should make a double cd of nothing but thrash covers. Maybe they will at some point!

Congrats on your new axe! sounds like you have a plan for all the bits as well. Look forward to seeing it in action!!!
Sweep picking is an art in and unto itself. The same rules apply though that exist for any technique. Start slow, play in a precise and clean manner. Push the speed up each chance you get. Allow it to fall apart by playing much too fast just to see how it feels. This is just part of the process. IT's ok to shoot for something way over ones current level. Eventually, it won't be over your current level. You just have to close the gap between current level and future level. We do have some sweep bits in bootcamp. Gabe has a killer sweep technique and I'm sure he can isolate some gmc lessons to focus on. Between the two of us, we will turn you in to a PURE MONSTER!!

BFMV's covers sound much more alive than the original versions! I know they added their covers to certain editions of their albums but a whole CD made just of covers would be great! And they do have amazing acoustics too!

I used the wrong words or I misunderstood you here. I'm 99% sure I'll be getting this guitar but I don't have it yet smile.gif I like to plan such things ahead so there's nothing overlooked. It might need a luthier's touch too but I'll use it in my videos as soon as I can!

About sweeping, I've heard it's a pinnacle of skill, at least as far as electric guitar is concerned. And it's about right when I think about players such as Jason Becker or Luca Turilli. It's just like your advice on downpicking mastery but I'm sure it will work great for me! I'll ask Gabriel for some insight into the subject but currently we're working on picking hand, bending in tune and vibrato. Sweeping will come next, once I pass those techniques.

I don't like the kind of bending licks as in today's mission and I often avoid it. I prefer learning a solid vibrato but then I guess it's wise to be able to do both - turn my weakness into my strength. And to become the pure monster I will need both! I like how that plan sounds!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2019, 05:06 AM
Well, whenever you do get that new axe, I hope it's a great addition to your collection and look forward to seeing it in action smile.gif

As for sweeping, It's a stretch to call it the "pinnacle of skill" imho, in that it's just another technique. It's a complex technique when done briskly and played well, but in the end, it's just yet another technique. Like any other technique on guitar, it's just a matter of simple repetition. The more you do it, the better you'll get at doing it. You will run in to some arp/sweeping drills in your bootcamp journey, but if you want to gets started right away i'd say try the SWEEP/ARP Quick Licks section, since those are all built to be fairly straightforward and can get you going on the basic mechanics involved in sweeps/arps. Here are all the Sweep/Arp quick licks in one chunk! I"m guessing that this type of thing is what you are looking for in this vid?

ARPEGGIO
#6 Ascending Arpeggio Lick
#20 Descending Tripeggio Shapes#21 Tripeggios and Pinky Power@
#23 Quasipeggios
#29 Sweep Picking Arpeggios with Tapping at the end "ish
#45 "Slowpeggios" Building a Solo Part I
#49 "Tripeggios" Part I@
#50 "Tripeggios" Part II@
#51 "Tripeggios" Part III
#52 "Tripegios" Part IV
You are welcome to do Quick Licks videos in any order you like so you can just do these and skip all the others for now and go back and do them later. But, like you said, Gabe probably has a batch on deck he can point you to as soon as your hands are ready!
As for todays Mission, it's a BEAR. It's got those bends in there just to force your hand to bend to pitch without having any time to get in and out of the bend. That way you have to nail the bend "on the fly" just as you would in a solo. When soloing, one often doesn't get a pause coming in or out of a given lick/technique.

Speaking of Missions, LET'S DEBRIEF!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

FORM IS ON POINT: I've watched your form get better and better. Keep it up!!

TIMING IS ON POINT: I'm starting to think you are hearing a Metronome in your head. This is the key to being able to keep time IMHO. If you can hear the beat/click in your head, then you don't need the metronome.

NOISE FREE: Your Muting Game remains Strong! A nice planted right hand. A very handy technique that you've adopted well.

You are putting it all to good use Soldier!! Keep it up!!!!!
You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 21 2019, 08:48 PM) *
BFMV's covers sound much more alive than the original versions! I know they added their covers to certain editions of their albums but a whole CD made just of covers would be great! And they do have amazing acoustics too!

I used the wrong words or I misunderstood you here. I'm 99% sure I'll be getting this guitar but I don't have it yet smile.gif I like to plan such things ahead so there's nothing overlooked. It might need a luthier's touch too but I'll use it in my videos as soon as I can!

About sweeping, I've heard it's a pinnacle of skill, at least as far as electric guitar is concerned. And it's about right when I think about players such as Jason Becker or Luca Turilli. It's just like your advice on downpicking mastery but I'm sure it will work great for me! I'll ask Gabriel for some insight into the subject but currently we're working on picking hand, bending in tune and vibrato. Sweeping will come next, once I pass those techniques.

I don't like the kind of bending licks as in today's mission and I often avoid it. I prefer learning a solid vibrato but then I guess it's wise to be able to do both - turn my weakness into my strength. And to become the pure monster I will need both! I like how that plan sounds!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 22 2019, 05:15 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 22 2019, 09:13 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 22 2019, 05:06 AM) *
Well, whenever you do get that new axe, I hope it's a great addition to your collection and look forward to seeing it in action smile.gif

As for sweeping, It's a stretch to call it the "pinnacle of skill" imho, in that it's just another technique. It's a complex technique when done briskly and played well, but in the end, it's just yet another technique. Like any other technique on guitar, it's just a matter of simple repetition. The more you do it, the better you'll get at doing it. You will run in to some arp/sweeping drills in your bootcamp journey, but if you want to gets started right away i'd say try the SWEEP/ARP Quick Licks section, since those are all built to be fairly straightforward and can get you going on the basic mechanics involved in sweeps/arps. Here are all the Sweep/Arp quick licks in one chunk! I"m guessing that this type of thing is what you are looking for in this vid?

ARPEGGIO
#6 Ascending Arpeggio Lick
#20 Descending Tripeggio Shapes#21 Tripeggios and Pinky Power@
#23 Quasipeggios
#29 Sweep Picking Arpeggios with Tapping at the end "ish
#45 "Slowpeggios" Building a Solo Part I
#49 "Tripeggios" Part I@
#50 "Tripeggios" Part II@
#51 "Tripeggios" Part III
#52 "Tripegios" Part IV
You are welcome to do Quick Licks videos in any order you like so you can just do these and skip all the others for now and go back and do them later. But, like you said, Gabe probably has a batch on deck he can point you to as soon as your hands are ready!
As for todays Mission, it's a BEAR. It's got those bends in there just to force your hand to bend to pitch without having any time to get in and out of the bend. That way you have to nail the bend "on the fly" just as you would in a solo. When soloing, one often doesn't get a pause coming in or out of a given lick/technique.

I thought one has to do these in the order. In that case I'll definitely leave out Economic Picking ones for the last smile.gif I'll try the Arpeggio section (and others too!) soon. Even if I don't have the tools to do it now, I can practice the shapes and whatever technique I have right now.

About today's mission, I was tempted to play Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor both ways too (since the instruction doesn't specify one scale and they are technically minor scales as well) but I need to leave for work. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 23 2019, 06:27 AM
Pure Blood and Guts!!! Another good fight Soldier. This is yet another tricky bit. You have done several missions with this open string matched to a scale idea and you are getting a really good handle on it. It seems wonky on the hands sometimes at first, but you have taken to it like a fish to water. You can take this same idea and apply it to any scale, any mode, anything!! It's a great way to work your fingers. It forces you to lift off the neck, and then stick the landing over and over and over. Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
STICKING THE LANDING: Gotta stick it each time. One miss and the entire drill falls apart.

SYNCHING AND SWIMMING: You drift, you die! Good news, no drift!!

AGGRESSION: Big part of what we do is about jumping in and KILLING IT!! You've got that to spare!!!!You got this Soldier!! It's about to get sticky!!!! You are ready for it though smile.gif You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 22 2019, 04:13 PM) *
I thought one has to do these in the order. In that case I'll definitely leave out Economic Picking ones for the last smile.gif I'll try the Arpeggio section (and others too!) soon. Even if I don't have the tools to do it now, I can practice the shapes and whatever technique I have right now.

About today's mission, I was tempted to play Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor both ways too (since the instruction doesn't specify one scale and they are technically minor scales as well) but I need to leave for work. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 23 2019, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 23 2019, 11:25 PM
Learning Roadie
This mission seemed a little off. I mean in the first exercise it says to switch to the G string for the last 2 bars. I hope I didn't misunderstand it because I did it all on the B ( C ) string assuming that was your intention. Then the final exercise skips example D and is named E instead. Is there anything missing in between? The last 2 frets in ex. E were a real pain to make them sound properly. They are so narrow... I wasn't sure if I was allowed to skip those notes just because of that. They do belong to the scale, after all. The guitar I'll be getting next week has a larger scale length, so pushing licks down the neck should be much easier with it.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 23 2019, 11:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2019, 02:42 AM
Good catch Soldier!! That first part should all be on the same string. I"ll have that bit of tab replaced. Good eye!! Here is what that tab should look like with the guitar pro file as well. Debrief to follow! The tapping bit was meant to be a bonus, as it's different from the rest, and you nailed it!
Attached File  69afix.gp5 ( 1.93K ) Number of downloads: 247
Attached Image

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 23 2019, 06:25 PM) *
This mission seemed a little off. I mean in the first exercise it says to switch to the G string for the last 2 bars. I hope I didn't misunderstand it because I did it all on the B ( C ) string assuming that was your intention. Then the final exercise skips example D and is named E instead. Is there anything missing in between? The last 2 frets in ex. E were a real pain to make them sound properly. They are so narrow... I wasn't sure if I was allowed to skip those notes just because of that. They do belong to the scale, after all. The guitar I'll be getting next week has a larger scale length, so pushing licks down the neck should be much easier with it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 25 2019, 01:15 AM
Well fought Soldier!! This is yet another tricky bit of play. It requires you to put together several bits in one lick. One needs to be able to do open string and single string with 2 and 3 note sets. Also, good muting is required since one can't mute with the left hand on licks that require you to pull your hand away from the strings to set up for the next note. If there are any gaps in one's mute, open string licks will make it plain as day. You have a strong grip on all of it. let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

SEQUENCE: In this one, you have to play groups of notes in different places. It's easy to get it twisted and play the wrong notes in the wrong place as they are constantly changing. No problem for you! You stick the landing each time.

PICKING YOUR BATTLES: Picking is again crucial here. Miss a single strike and each lick falls apart. You are getting really good at never missing a strike. Nice!
MUTE OR SHOOT: Without good muting, open string licks are a noise fest. Some folks get really dependent on the left hand to help mute things. This makes some licks nearly impossible to play. No problem here. You can mute anything needed with your right hand.
You are putting all the skills together just as I hoped you would Soldier!! Good catch on the Tablature BTW. I"m having it replaced with the help of FRAN! As for this one, YOU GOT THIS!! And you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 23 2019, 06:25 PM) *

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:06 PM