2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I´m About To Give Up
anders3604
Jul 25 2009, 09:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well guys, I´m about o give up.

I´m practising and practising several hours a day but I´m completely stuck. Nothing happeneds.

I´m thinking of trying to find a guitar teacher. Maybe they could tell me what I´m doing wrong. Someone who tryed a teacher after a long time of learning by yourself?

I mean if it´s worth it.

Anders
Sweden

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 25 2009, 09:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
What are you tryin to accomplish and what are you having problems with? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
oikonen
Jul 25 2009, 09:31 PM
GMC:er
How long you have played? What are you exercising?

--------------------

Blue Steel
- Wiggle your big toe -

+Quote Post
berko
Jul 25 2009, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 25 2009, 10:25 PM) *
What are you tryin to accomplish and what are you having problems with? smile.gif

Yes, you should ask yourself the questions what you want to achieve? You have to closely analyze what you think you "suck" at. Need a better tone? A more precise technique? Speed? To be able to play your favorite songs? Write your own songs? Etc, etc.

If you have found the areas you want to improve in, then you're already half way through. You can then start to gradually get better at whatever you want. Since you have analyzed your problems, you can be more focused about them.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 25 2009, 09:34 PM
If you have the ability to record video (perhaps even poor vid quality) I suspect you'll find instructors with plenty of suggestions for you.

Also, are we talking hours and hours over a few weeks? A few months? Years? Something to remember is that you want to reward yourself some of the time by playing what you already know. Technically, it's still practicing, but you are rewarded by really making music. Depending on which exercises you've set for yourself, this may be very different from the kinds of sounds you're hearing yourself make while learning new and challenging techniques or songs.

Make time to play as well as learn. Early learning usually sounds terrible and it can be discouraging.

Further, Chris or Andrew suggested that the MTP has some changes coming soon.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
anders3604
Jul 25 2009, 09:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for answering!

Well Ive been playing guitar for about 5 years but not so seriosely. Been playing in simple punk bands and so on.

This year I´ve been tring to practise to actually become something. I usually play for about 2 hours a day.

One thing is that it feels like I´ve learned "wrong". I keep changeing my left hand techniqe because it feels wrong. I get so tense in the hand.

Just the A pentatonic scale is a big problem. If I play it in 16th notes I can play it in 80 bmp so it sounds ok and I practise that every day.

One other thing that feels wrong is is this.

If I play 1,2,3,4 on one string I can play it with alternative picking in 100 bmp in 16th notes. But with downstrokes less than half. That seems very strange. Maybe 30bpm 16th notes.

Its like the hands affect each other with tension.

Ok, this was a little info. Il see if I can make a little video and post on youtube or something like that. Just to get some feedback.

I guess everyone have this times when you feel stuck but now I´m starting to panic.

Best regards

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jul 25 2009, 10:05 PM
Instructor
Anders please post a video of things you play and practice on Youtube. No need to quit, we shall find a way to motivate you to work trough this hard period for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 25 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Man, get the word "quit" out of your vocabulary. don't ever give up on anything that you want to accomplish. Sounds to me like you are just burned out on your routine.

Through a wrench in it and change things up a bit to motivate yourself. If you play all the time with full distortion, try playing an acoustic (if you have access to one) for a while or just play on a clean setting and try to build form there.

More importantly, I guess what I'm trying to say is that variety is the key to staying motivated man and switch it up often!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 25 2009, 10:37 PM
Instructor
Having a teacher can be a good idea but sometimes works out even worse that you can think of. Post a video and we can give you some tips. Here you can ask anything and get advice for anything you want to know.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
anders3604
Jul 25 2009, 11:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you for all the tips guys.

It really helps with some pep talk sometimes.

I will make a video with some riffs as quickly as I can.

Thank you once againg.

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 25 2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor
Waiting for those clips and yeah,
you should REALLY get the word "quit" out of your vocabulary. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 26 2009, 12:46 AM
Instructor
These periods happen from time to time, don't worry and stay focused on progress. Problems are easy to overcome, just be patient you will see. In time this feeling will pass and you will get a fresh motivation to last you for some time. Please post a video so we can point out the important aspects of your playing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 26 2009, 12:57 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've quit playing guitar hundreds of times. Sometimes for only 20 minutes. It can be frustrating, but I have learned more at GMC than with any instructor. Here, you get several people's opinions. If you add video and audio to your questions, you get even more information. I have annoyed more than one instructor with audio and video takes, and they haven't canceled my subscription yet! Start showing exactly what you're doing, and see what you come up with for advice. I think you'll get encouraging results for sure. As for quitting? Playing guitar isn't serving french fries at McDonalds...it's a pursuit. Quitting suggests that it's less than what it is. Keep going!

Edit: Typo

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Jul 26 2009, 12:58 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
oikonen
Jul 26 2009, 10:47 AM
When i'm frustrated something what i've grinded hours and hours without any noticeable progress, i take day off and let the muscle memory and my limbic system to do the work. Works me like daily visit to my pink pot:)

--------------------

Blue Steel
- Wiggle your big toe -

+Quote Post
Gus
Jul 26 2009, 11:11 AM
Hey man. I play guitar for quite a while, and right now the only thing I regret during all years was the times I quit!!

If you feel that the exercises are going nowhere, try to give a break from what you are doing. Spend more time learning songs which are just a little bit above your current level and jamming to backing tracks.

About getting a teacher, be aware:
- A good teacher can make you advance really fast and correct your problems
- A bad teacher can make you forget about guitar forever!.
I experienced both cases, so be very careful with the teacher you chose, and change if you don't like it. Saving some bucks going for a bad teacher may not be the best option...

From the description, I think you're problems seem quite normal, so maybe if you post a video we can try to help better?
Being slower when down stroking only compared to AP is normal. But don't spend time on 1-2-3-4 patterns unless you use them for fingers independence (you can find lessons for that in GMC).

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
anders3604
Jul 26 2009, 01:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok guys!

I made a little video with a couple of riffs.
I got so nervous so I didn´t play that well but on the other side thats why I´m made this post.

If there is some other angle you would like or something just tell me and I will record it.

btw, my guitar is tuned 1/2 step down.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thG_75rbGWU

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Jul 26 2009, 02:30 PM
G'day Anders
Watched your vids - youve got a spot on sense of timing, and obviously some cool chops there dude. The one thing I would say is keep up the practise, but balance it with doing other stuff - the times i get fed up with my guitar are when i get too one tracked, in other words thats all i do...so when it goes badly i get depressed! - I find if i practise hard, then do something completelty different (go the the gym, play a sport, learn another language etc), it puts playing the guitar into perspective - remember, the main thing is to enjoy playing!!
Cheers
Conrad

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 26 2009, 02:54 PM
I've seen your video and I just don't understand why you want to give up!?!??!!??
You have a pretty good sense of rhythm, pretty good sound... I guess you only lost your motivation. Go and see somebody playing live, a really good band. I'm 99% sure you'll find some motivation right away. At least that always works for me!

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 26 2009, 02:58 PM
Jazz Instructor
When you're ready to quit, you're closer than you think!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 26 2009, 03:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Yeah, don't quit! You'll regret it down the road. Learn new songs, practice different techniques, try to have fun playing.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:28 PM