Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 04:53 PM
GMC:er
Heya ;D

I was wondering what you guys think of SD's Pearly gates
Had them, Heard them, Experiences?
Go ahead tell me 'bout them

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Fender Highway one Upgrade Telecaster
- Ibanez JEM555 Vai Signature
- Noname acoustic :P

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

Savings for a Gibson SG '61 Reissue:
120€ / 1400

If You don't believe in it, You'll never achieve it,

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 4 2010, 04:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Do you mean the Seymour Duncan pickups or the terribly overpriced Gibson Signature Les Paul?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 4 2010, 04:55 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 05:37 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 4 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Do you mean the Seymour Duncan pickups or the terribly overpriced Gibson Signature Les Paul?

The pickups ;D

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

120€ / 1400

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 4 2010, 06:03 PM
Instructor
have no idea, but Zakk might give nice clues about them....

at first I thought you were asking about afterdeath experiences, I've only had one and it was actually really freightening but I'm glad I had it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 4 2010, 06:09 PM
Instructor

- warm vintage mid-pronounced pickup with slightly hotter output. I wouldn't count on that much of a hotter output tho, it's definitely a vintage sounding pickup.
- If you have a bright guitar with maple or ebony fretboard it will work nicely. for other options you might want to look for some more, BUT.. In reality you can try it and see if you like it's sound. Doesn't matter for what purpose it is, it should be a nice pickup. It's all coming down to experimenting with various pieces until you find the one that matches your wood nicely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 4 2010, 05:09 PM) *
- warm vintage mid-pronounced pickup with slightly hotter output. I wouldn't count on that much of a hotter output tho, it's definitely a vintage sounding pickup.
- If you have a bright guitar with maple or ebony fretboard it will work nicely. for other options you might want to look for some more, BUT.. In reality you can try it and see if you like it's sound. Doesn't matter for what purpose it is, it should be a nice pickup. It's all coming down to experimenting with various pieces until you find the one that matches your wood nicely.

Ive got an Ibanez JEM, Id like to put it into
That should work?

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

120€ / 1400

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 4 2010, 07:13 PM
Instructor
To tell you the truth - I think you should check out some moderate output Dimarzio pickups, that Pearly Gates looks a tiny bit vintage to me. Not sure how it would work, you can test it, but if I were in your position, moderate dimarzio is what I would look, not vintage SD. This would be my decision, but the choice is yours in the end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 4 2010, 06:13 PM) *
To tell you the truth - I think you should check out some moderate output Dimarzio pickups, that Pearly Gates looks a tiny bit vintage to me. Not sure how it would work, you can test it, but if I were in your position, moderate dimarzio is what I would look, not vintage SD. This would be my decision, but the choice is yours in the end.

Well I dont like the High gain evolutions that are in now, I want more of a vintage kinda Guns n roses AC/DC tone, So i Have no idea laugh.gif
Tomorrow im going to the Guitar store, so what should i try

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

120€ / 1400

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 4 2010, 08:25 PM
Instructor
Check out Alnico II Pro, or Slash pickup from SD, or PAF Pro, Air Norton or Air Classic models from Dimarzio, that should be interesting too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 4 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Check out Alnico II Pro, or Slash pickup from SD, or PAF Pro, Air Norton or Air Classic models from Dimarzio, that should be interesting too.

Dimarzio Has not a thing like trembuckers orsomething ?

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

120€ / 1400

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 4 2010, 09:19 PM
I used to have a set of PG's in an old HM Strat. They were great for that 'antique-y/vintage-y' type of sound but not for much else in all honesty!
I'm also very dubious as to how they'd sound in a JEM as the EVO's were designed specifically for them. I'd be tempted to save a little extra and buy something like a Vintage Icon or an Epi or something along those lines for getting that more vintage style sound.
Those new Vintage Icon LP style guitars are amazing value for money!!
Just my $10 worth!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 4 2010, 08:19 PM) *
I used to have a set of PG's in an old HM Strat. They were great for that 'antique-y/vintage-y' type of sound but not for much else in all honesty!
I'm also very dubious as to how they'd sound in a JEM as the EVO's were designed specifically for them. I'd be tempted to save a little extra and buy something like a Vintage Icon or an Epi or something along those lines for getting that more vintage style sound.
Those new Vintage Icon LP style guitars are amazing value for money!!
Just my $10 worth!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well, Thats exactly the problem,
My parents wont let me buy a guitar for 2 more years.. dry.gif
Thats why i thought of changing pickup

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

120€ / 1400

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 4 2010, 10:10 PM
Instructor
this is a hard one, i got also a jem, but 90's jem, mine got paf pro's and yeah it sounds more vintage to me, but at the end of the day, the jem is a very light and modern guitar, and it's oriented to hard rock/metal, so don't except a total tone makeover.

BUT, why don't u sell it, if you are 100% sure that is not your kind of guitar, sell it and buy an used SG or les paul, OR flying v (which i 100% LOVE)

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 4 2010, 10:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
Screw what your parents say, get a part time job and buy a Les Paul^^

The pearly gates pickups are great for southern rock and heavy blues (great cleans on the neck too) but no pickup will make a bluesrock guitar out of the JEM... It's a modern shred guitar.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2010, 01:22 AM
Instructor
I agree as well. Modern guitar will probably work better with modern pickups. This doesn't mean the vintage ones won't work well, possibly they will do the job, but at the end of the day you won't turn a Ferrari into Bentley by replacing only the wheels or the engine.

Try this: browse the local stores a bit, and tryout guitars. You may find something interesting that does the job better for you. You don't need to buy, just try and see where that gets you.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 5 2010, 01:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kahall
May 5 2010, 02:14 AM
Learning Roadie
I put some Pearly Gates in an Ibanez. They are a good pick up but was not the sound I was looking for. I am going to remove them soon.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 16 2010, 02:05 AM
Learning Roadie
I clicked this thinking you mean the pearly gates of heaven! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ItsMe
May 16 2010, 12:12 PM
I got the SHPGP-1B Pearly Gates Plus Humbucking Pickup (Bridge) in a Custom Telecaster FMT HH and think its ok for all kinds of blues rock, classic rock stuff but you wont get any decent metal sounds out of that thing (at least not in my guitar).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:30 PM