2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do You Prepare For Gigs?
Jesse
Nov 21 2008, 02:50 PM
GMC:er
Title says it all.. Im like, preparing all songs were gonna play on a gig, It' s in January but I still got 3 more minutes of im alright and canon rock to learn.. Crazy train. And another alter bridge song and maybe some more;D Im gonna upload my Take on Canon Rock and Im alright probably in the week after december 5th. I probably got a pod then:D

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Nov 21 2008, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 21 2008, 02:58 PM
Ugh at least you got a band that can gig. My band sucks so bad we can't get through 2minutes of a 5 minute song.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 21 2008, 03:00 PM
Oh^^ Well, Im stoked because our original singer is back till that concert at Least. Im not too happy with our other guitarist biggrin.gif he doesnt practice.. at all? or very little, and he just doesnt have the right feeling for the bluesier stuff like Pride and Joy from stevie! Thats whyyyyy Im doing some songs with only me bass and drums! Lenny and littlewing by SRV!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Nov 21 2008, 03:07 PM
I like to make sure I know a song in and out.

Play an mp3 of a song you're going to play, but drag the slider to a random point in the track and see how long it takes you to pick up where you are, and carry on playing.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 21 2008, 03:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Nov 21 2008, 02:58 PM) *
Ugh at least you got a band that can gig. My band sucks so bad we can't get through 2minutes of a 5 minute song.

Ouch!! biggrin.gif You'll come around evetually.

Jesse, preparations like rehearsing and the last week rehearse one time extra. That's the obvious.
But as important is to record your takes and listen to them inbetween. That puts your version of a song in your head and knowing it from a listeners perspective is very helpful also for performing it. Knowing it by heart so to speak. Very useful!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 21 2008, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (Darfuria @ Nov 21 2008, 03:07 PM) *
I like to make sure I know a song in and out.

Play an mp3 of a song you're going to play, but drag the slider to a random point in the track and see how long it takes you to pick up where you are, and carry on playing.

I do that often !!!!! Mostly takes1 or 2 seconds . I listen closely to the bass to see where it' s at! For Example with I'm alright. It' s actually just chords played singe noted... kinda arpeggio' s in that way. I just listen which chord the bass is banging then I follow:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 21 2008, 03:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well apart from regular home practicing of the songs , you need to practice in a studio/practice room with your band regularly before a gig..Also one extra rehearsal right before the gig is needed.Its different when playing home alone with a CD and with a band..You need to as a band get tight and rehearse your gig..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 21 2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah:D Me and the singer really want to do that but our other bandmates, except drummer, dont take it really serious:(

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 21 2008, 03:21 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 21 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Its different when playing home alone with a CD and with a band..You need to as a band get tight and rehearse your gig..

A funny side note is that our bass player has a band that rehearse by corresponding since the band members are widely spread, they send files back and forth and then when it's time for a gig they come together for the first time with their home rehearsed sets and go on stage.

Needless to say they are brilliant musicians with years and years of experience wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 22 2008, 01:19 AM
Instructor
Before the gig you should practice all songs at home until you can play them flawlessly. Remember on gig and in studio some mistakes can and will happen, even if you know everything perfectly. The next step is to go to the studio and go through all songs until they are perfect.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 22 2008, 02:34 AM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Nov 21 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Yeah:D Me and the singer really want to do that but our other bandmates, except drummer, dont take it really serious:(

This happens to most bands sad.gif Some people disappoint you. But sometimes also some people may surprise you. So keep working wink.gif

About preparing, I think the most important thing of all is that you listen to the songs a lot. Define the set list way before the gig and make sure you listen to every music several times. You cannot force other people to do it, but you can at least give this tip to them. One thing you can make is creating a playlist with the setlist on youtube and sending them. If they can do it with small effort they will do it for sure. wink.gif

If everyone (or at least someone) knows how the songs should sound, it becomes much more easy to identify mistakes or for instance a bad guitar tone. Then it's about practicing and practicing. As Ivan said things will go wrong on stage. Last week for instance I had 2 strings broken, we've gotta lots of feedback and had to play in lower volume, someone stole the coat from the singer, just to mention a few problems. ohmy.gif

So if you want to make it nice besides all problems follow the advice: "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice it until you can't get it wrong". (Someone uses this phrase as sig in the forum I think sleep.gif )

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 22 2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah! I reckognize that phrase... it' s true... sounds like something buddha would say dont you think?biggrin.gif Thank' s for all the advice:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Nov 22 2008, 09:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Before the gig

Warm up!

see: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-marcus-siepen/

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2008, 03:21 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 21 2008, 03:21 PM) *
A funny side note is that our bass player has a band that rehearse by corresponding since the band members are widely spread, they send files back and forth and then when it's time for a gig they come together for the first time with their home rehearsed sets and go on stage.

Needless to say they are brilliant musicians with years and years of experience wink.gif

Yeah that is possible of course smile.gif But good ol' band practice rules smile.gif Band has to sound well as a whole band not individuals smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Nov 23 2008, 03:24 PM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 23 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Yeah that is possible of course smile.gif But good ol' band practice rules smile.gif Band has to sound well as a whole band not individuals smile.gif

100% agreed.  smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 23 2008, 03:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
So if you want to make it nice besides all problems follow the advice: "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice it until you can't get it wrong". (Someone uses this phrase as sig in the forum I think sleep.gif )

That´s a Steve Vai quote. smile.gif
Only play on stage that what you are able to play. Or if you can improvise, do it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2008, 04:01 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Nov 23 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Only play on stage that what you are able to play. Or if you can improvise, do it. smile.gif

That's another aspect of a gig playing..I would recommend playing only songs that you are well satisfied with...Also practice your parts at home and in studio and don't alter them much on stage, if you go on into too much improvising on stage you have a very good chance to mess things up and in most cases those improvised parts won't sound as good as the original ones.(originals are composed with great care and when you improvise you think them on a go) so be careful with that too.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 23 2008, 04:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 23 2008, 06:59 PM
I stick to the song yeah. Except for pride and joy.. I improvise bits in between but the blues is my thing, it sounds great:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 23 2008, 07:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't do gigs, but some friends of mine draw a pentagram on the ground and falls into a trance for some minutes.....

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Nov 23 2008, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Nov 21 2008, 09:00 AM) *
Im not too happy with our other guitarist biggrin.gif he doesnt practice.. at all? or very little, and he just doesnt have the right feeling for the bluesier stuff like Pride and Joy from stevie! Thats whyyyyy Im doing some songs with only me bass and drums! Lenny and littlewing by SRV!

Know how you fell! We are telling him that if he dosen't practice he'll get kicked out.

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:15 PM