2 Pages V   1 2 >  
When You Have A Test Or Competition..
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 10:51 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I was thinking about the different approaches that people have to something like a Test, Grading or a Competition.

I've got a Karate grading on Friday evening and, although I feel prepared, I never like to be complacent to the point where I think I've definitely 'got it', you know ?

I've always approached with an open minded mindset. I know I've worked hard and done what I can so I have to let go of the outcome.

However, if it were our old friend Arnold Schwarzenegger, I imagine he would have the approach of deciding that he'd already passed the test (or won the competition in his case) and not even acknowledge the possibility of failing. Before the Mr Olympia contest in 1975, he told his main rival, Lou Ferrigno, that he'd already rang his mother and told her he'd won the contest (before it had even started !). Not only was this a display of ultra confidence on Arnold's behalf, he also undermined the confidence of his competitor. An interesting approach although I'm not sure if it's for me.

How about you ? How do you guys mentally prepare yourselves for a test ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
May 3 2012, 11:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Train so hard in preparation for the day of the battle/ test that you are at total peace and there is nothing that can happen to you on that day that has'nt already taken place in the gym. This makes it a truly magical moment i.e you are there to have fun. No matter the result.

Competition and performance in any skill is 90% mental and 10% technical (especially at a world class level). If you truly believe you're going to win, there is a very strong chance that you will. Every ounce of your body and mind will not let you give up. Conditioning yourself to believe in yourself should be an everyday ritual. Hard work and drilling in the gym helps to attain that conditioning.

Related to guitar, if one thinks that they're definitely gonna screw up before a gig, these negative thoughts will certainly mess up the performance MORE than usual. An artist is likely to perform better if he/she's relaxed, having fun and not really caring attitude for screwing up on stage.

Furthermore, what helps is having a long term approach. If you think 5-10 yrs down the line or even more, this upcoming event will feel insignificant in your journey. This thought will help in relaxing and having fun at it. So don't make it bigger than it is in your head.

Remember, no belt, medal or fame could beat... living in the moment and truly enjoying what it is you are doing. Even if you're failing smile.gif .. Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears.

And try to develop the mindset of a champion in any discipline you choose:

NEVER confuse defeats with FAILURE or SUCCESS with victories. In the life of a champion there will always be some losses, as in life there will always be a loser wins. The difference is that while the CHAMPIONS grow in defeat, the losers settle in wins.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 3 2012, 12:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank You for That !

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 12:20 PM
Instructor
Great input Zen ! smile.gif

That's right.. don't get hooked on those words, success or failure. A 'failure' is just an essential step on your journey which is necessary to your growth and leading towards your success. So success or failure.. they're the same thing ultimately. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2012, 02:52 PM
Instructor
I usually worry a lot, get a lot of anguish and think of all the nasty moments which could happen ... BUT in the end...practice and having the self confidence that you have been doing everything needed to be prepared are winning smile.gif or at least I like to think so.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 03:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 3 2012, 02:52 PM) *
I usually worry a lot, get a lot of anguish and think of all the nasty moments which could happen ... BUT in the end...practice and having the self confidence that you have been doing everything needed to be prepared are winning smile.gif or at least I like to think so.

Yeah, quite a good thing is to practice whilst visualising the worst case scenario. For me, quite an unwanted scenario would be taking my grading whilst being watched by loads of other students. So if I confront that earlier on in my practise it won't be such a big deal if it does happen smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 3 2012, 03:32 PM
High Ben,

what kind of karate you do?

And what are the grading parts - Kata -Kihon Kumite - Kumite.......

the hardest part i think is Kata there you standalone in kind of universe no material thinking just let it flow

I am sure you make a good Grading !

Reminds on some roots should remember that when i am exercising my van halen lesson hahaha i shouldn't think about it
just let it flow and accept what i am .

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 03:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ May 3 2012, 03:32 PM) *
High Ben,

what kind of karate you do?

And what are the grading parts - Kata -Kihon Kumite - Kumite.......

the hardest part i think is Kata there you standalone in kind of universe no material thinking just let it flow

I am sure you make a good Grading !

Reminds on some roots should remember that when i am exercising my van halen lesson hahaha i shouldn't think about it
just let it flow and accept what i am .

Dieter, it's Shotokan. I'm grading for 5th Kyu so will be performing the Kata Heian Yondan as well as all the other routines smile.gif

Heian means 'peaceful' so all those first 5 Heian katas are meant to encourage that Zen flowing state in the student's mind. I'll let you all know how it goes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 3 2012, 04:32 PM
In france clermand ferrand i did a while shotokan and there is a great yoseikan budo dojo too
and where i come from is Goju Ryu .

I remember those Heians a bit and hangetsu bassaidai yiou
kangudai

You are as i imagine from your clips a long and strong guy - shotokan is perfect for you strong dynamic and mechanical movement - of course with KI .

I am small and tiny goyu ryu is just fine to me.

Karate its one of the Great Ways to get into oneself like playing Guitar - Good to know.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 06:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ May 3 2012, 04:32 PM) *
In france clermand ferrand i did a while shotokan and there is a great yoseikan budo dojo too
and where i come from is Goju Ryu .

I remember those Heians a bit and hangetsu bassaidai yiou
kangudai

You are as i imagine from your clips a long and strong guy - shotokan is perfect for you strong dynamic and mechanical movement - of course with KI .

I am small and tiny goyu ryu is just fine to me.

Karate its one of the Great Ways to get into oneself like playing Guitar - Good to know.

If I wasn't doing Shotokan, then Goju Ryu would be the one I would study smile.gif It looks brilliant !

I'm not very tall at all, just a tiny bit under 5 '8 and not very heavy at 9 and a half stone. Shotokan is one of those arts that does require you to be strong and really develop a strong core and legs. I've improved a lot of my lower and middle body strength a lot since starting it. Deadlifts and Squats have helped too !

Do you still train in Goju ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 3 2012, 08:01 PM
High Ben,

haha might be your long hair that i thought you are a long person biggrin.gif

30 years and more ago i did have the same long hair - but now i can count easily that few hair are left mad.gif

i am not anymore into a club but do some training for to keep body and mind in shape -

main Zenzai has been Tokio Funasako and Hans Hertner his scolar and a real good traditional Zenzai ... he's gone his way some years ago

my wife and my daughter got me a dog that i have to walk a lot in the nature and sometimes we run through
forest and my dog always in front of me - a good trainer.

The main tip i could say right now is the art of breathing its even more difficult as the body keeping in shape .

A great Kata called Ten Sho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0D6VYrXTVU ! it doesn't work to insert !

is a great exercise for the whole shape , mind ,body, breath -- i hope my english uses the right words --

and for a lifetime.

Goju Ryu is the cat style but traditionary training you don't find every where but its the real thing .

From witch area in england are you , maybe i can find out some contact !?
I still know some people from england too .

Anyway it doesn't matter witch
style -- important is to be serious with it -- if there comes a nother gate -- why not go through

the way is the same its YOUR WAY !

Dieter

This post has been edited by Dieterle: May 3 2012, 08:03 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor
Heh biggrin.gif you guys have discovered one another smile.gif wait till I get to start the Iaido! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 4 2012, 02:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
Look your opponent in the eye and say "I've already kicked your arse... you're back for more?!!" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Zen is right about the mental aspect being equally important. Learning to control mood from day to day is the biggest challenge of athletes. The phrase "he's on fire!" tells a tale in its own right - it's not as if the day before he was any less fit or talented ~ it's just that he's in game mentally.

*note: i'm using "he" in the gender neutral sense smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2012, 07:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ May 3 2012, 08:01 PM) *
From witch area in england are you , maybe i can find out some contact !?
I still know some people from england too .

Anyway it doesn't matter witch
style -- important is to be serious with it -- if there comes a nother gate -- why not go through

the way is the same its YOUR WAY !

Dieter

I live in South West England, just on the border of Dorset and Somerset. I did some research about Goju some time back and I discovered that the UK branch of Goju Ryu was founded in Poole, Dorset ! It's about 40 miles from me but I'm in the general area smile.gif I'm happy with Shotokan but who knows, when I'm a lot older, I might start investigating into other arts as well.

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 4 2012, 03:35 PM
I am sure you will go the right way !

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2012, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Guys, just wanted to update that I've just got back home from the grading..... and....

I passed ! smile.gif

I really felt the pressure this time more than ever. I was pretty much out of breath after a few seconds. But, as always, the mind has to step up and ignore the body's tiredness and command you to kick ass tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 4 2012, 10:20 PM
OUSSSS !

Great to hear and congratulation !

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 5 2012, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ May 4 2012, 10:20 PM) *
OUSSSS !

Great to hear and congratulation !

Osss ! Thank you smile.gif

The only thing is, the higher you go, the more pressure there is to get it right !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
May 5 2012, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
well done!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 5 2012, 10:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ May 5 2012, 10:22 AM) *
well done!

Thanks Carmine smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:53 PM