3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Fast Picking Issues, Short Youtube clip
Anders Karlsson
Nov 19 2013, 07:13 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi, mates. i've got got some issues in my picking technique and I would be pleased if you could check out my videoclip of fast picking. I have some problems and i am hoping you can give me some advice and hints smile.gif

First of all, i loose the clean sound at the lower strings (A and E) and i feel that i have to "speed up" in the beginning. I cant just go fast, i have to speed it up otherwise I might stuck as u can see in the clip sometimes. Is there some big faults in my technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1P3Dr-HK4...eature=youtu.be

Best regards

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 19 2013, 07:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Nov 19 2013, 08:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
All I can tell you is you can go WAYYYY faster than me.

It looks like your left and right hands are just starting to work together to break the speed barrier and maybe you just need to keep doing what you're doing and practice really controlling it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 19 2013, 08:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Looks pretty fluent to me, especially when you let your right hand "move along". If you feel that you get stuck when you reach the A and E strings, maybe it's because you anchor your hand somewhat so that the pick makes a different angle when you reach those strings.

Speaking of picking angle, that's something you could experiment with in general. As usual, there is no right or wrong here, different famous fast pickers have different approaches to that issue, so it's all about finding out what works best for you.

H

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 19 2013, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Nov 19 2013, 08:06 PM) *
All I can tell you is you can go WAYYYY faster than me.

It looks like your left and right hands are just starting to work together to break the speed barrier and maybe you just need to keep doing what you're doing and practice really controlling it?

Thanks, yeah practicing is the only way, and mayby the only solution. No quick fix:)

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 19 2013, 08:13 PM) *
Looks pretty fluent to me, especially when you let your right hand "move along". If you feel that you get stuck when you reach the A and E strings, maybe it's because you anchor your hand somewhat so that the pick makes a different angle when you reach those strings.

Speaking of picking angle, that's something you could experiment with in general. As usual, there is no right or wrong here, different famous fast pickers have different approaches to that issue, so it's all about finding out what works best for you.

H

Yes, as you said, i think i loose my angel of my right hand when im picking the last two strings. If you have any hints of good right hand technique, please tell me smile.gif I think i feel uncomfortable when im picking the last two strings. And i notice that i must move my left thumb when im entering the last two strings. Are you making any movment of your thumb, if you know what i mean?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 19 2013, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
gregc1
Nov 19 2013, 08:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 19 2013, 07:28 PM) *
Thanks, yeah practicing is the only way.

Sorry, I know I was kind of stating the obvious. I guess what I was getting at is that I don't see any flaws in your technique so it seems like you're already there, just need to really get control of it. Like Hungry said, could be just a slight change in picking angle or hand angle would help you on the lower strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 19 2013, 09:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Nov 19 2013, 08:37 PM) *
Sorry, I know I was kind of stating the obvious. I guess what I was getting at is that I don't see any flaws in your technique so it seems like you're already there, just need to really get control of it. Like Hungry said, could be just a slight change in picking angle or hand angle would help you on the lower strings.

Yeah i have to se over the right hand on the lower strings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 20 2013, 10:16 AM
Instructor
Your picking technique looks and sounds good to me. The only thing I hear that sounds 'wrong' is that your co ordination between the hands isn't as strong or clear as it could be. Believe it or not, that can also affect your speed.

The thickness of the lower strings might be an issue, especially if you have a light grip on your pick ?

Or, the angle which you hold your pick might affect it. You seem to have the pick pointing upwards, with your thumb bending up. This might put the pick at the optimum angle when playing on the higher strings but when you go the low strings, things might be changing because of the position of your hand ?

This is a video I made about how hand angle affects picking. I think you already seem to have a good angle that works for you, so in no way do I suggest that you should change it. But this video may help give you ideas and how to decide what's affecting your picking progress. If it's not the angle of the hand, then it's probably the angle of the pick. Or a combination of both. As always the answer lies in experimenting with slight adjustments and 'feeling' the affects of them.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Nov 20 2013, 10:16 AM

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 20 2013, 10:21 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 20 2013, 10:16 AM) *
Your picking technique looks and sounds good to me. The only thing I hear that sounds 'wrong' is that your co ordination between the hands isn't as strong or clear as it could be. Believe it or not, that can also affect your speed.

The thickness of the lower strings might be an issue, especially if you have a light grip on your pick ?

Or, the angle which you hold your pick might affect it. You seem to have the pick pointing upwards, with your thumb bending up. This might put the pick at the optimum angle when playing on the higher strings but when you go the low strings, things might be changing because of the position of your hand ?

This is a video I made about how hand angle affects picking. I think you already seem to have a good angle that works for you, so in no way do I suggest that you should change it. But this video may help give you ideas and how to decide what's affecting your picking progress. If it's not the angle of the hand, then it's probably the angle of the pick. Or a combination of both. As always the answer lies in experimenting with slight adjustments and 'feeling' the affects of them.

Thank you for answering, is the co ordination not clear or not strong over the all strings or just over the lowest??
I mean, can u hear any issues over all strings or just the lowest ones.
I will check out your video and see if i can find adjust the pick or hand angel.

¨

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2013, 10:22 AM
GMC:er
Todd here!! smile.gif You've come to the right place!!! GMC can help you BREAK THE SPEED BARRIER smile.gif

First up, here is a quick vid where I do a short demo to show a picking grip/angle that you might try. It works for me smile.gif Also, I"m only using 2 strings in this demo. It will let you focus on the picking instead of the String Traverse. Once you get the right hand motion worked out, moving through the strings is a bit less difficult.

QUICK TIPS:
*Your perhaps a pinch, stiff? Loosen your hand just a bit.
*You can articulate using your first finger and thumb. smile.gif
Here is a vid where I demo picking briskly using mostly the finger and thumb to articulate the pick. Very little if any wrist motion, and zero arm wag. Notice the thumb guiding the first finger.

*I fear you maybe "Picking from the Elbow". I can't see your arm, but try to pick from the wrist down, not the elbow up.
*Focus on getting comfy, from the wrist down, on one string. Then add one more as in the vid. The minor scale in any key will work fine as a pattern on the high E and B. smile.gif

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 19 2013, 01:13 PM) *
Hi, mates. i've got got some issues in my picking technique and I would be pleased if you could check out my videoclip of fast picking. I have some problems and i am hoping you can give me some advice and hints smile.gif

First of all, i loose the clean sound at the lower strings (A and E) and i feel that i have to "speed up" in the beginning. I cant just go fast, i have to speed it up otherwise I might stuck as u can see in the clip sometimes. Is there some big faults in my technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1P3Dr-HK4...eature=youtu.be

Best regards

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 20 2013, 10:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 19 2013, 08:28 PM) *
If you have any hints of good right hand technique

I wish I had! Kind of struggling with this myself though. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 20 2013, 10:45 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 20 2013, 10:22 AM) *
Todd here!! smile.gif You've come to the right place!!! GMC can help you BREAK THE SPEED BARRIER smile.gif

First up, here is a quick vid where I do a short demo to show a picking grip/angle that you might try. It works for me smile.gif Also, I"m only using 2 strings in this demo. It will let you focus on the picking instead of the String Traverse. Once you get the right hand motion worked out, moving through the strings is a bit less difficult.

QUICK TIPS:
*Your perhaps a pinch, stiff? Loosen your hand just a bit.
*You can articulate using your first finger and thumb. smile.gif
Here is a vid where I demo picking briskly using mostly the finger and thumb to articulate the pick. Very little if any wrist motion, and zero arm wag. Notice the thumb guiding the first finger.

*I fear you maybe "Picking from the Elbow". I can't see your arm, but try to pick from the wrist down, not the elbow up.
*Focus on getting comfy, from the wrist down, on one string. Then add one more as in the vid. The minor scale in any key will work fine as a pattern on the high E and B. smile.gif

Thank you fo rhelping, i will check these video right away smile.gif
Damn, last video, clean and fast impresive smile.gif

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2013, 10:50 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2013, 11:41 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - everyone here is coming up with great advices and Todd's and Ben's videos are most likely great graphic representations of elements which are necessary for you to take into consideration. Aside this, practicing focused is a crucial element as well as consistency - It is better to spend a dedicated hour a day, on your favorite technique, rather then trying to cram up 5 hours in one day in a week wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2013, 12:24 PM
Well said!!! If you plan on practicing 7 hours a week, don't try to do it in one chunk. You'll do much better IMHO if you practice a bit every day in a focused manner on the bits you are trying to master. This is just a general guideline of course, and nobody is suggesting you are only practicing one day a week! Just a good piece of advice. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 20 2013, 05:41 AM) *
Hey mate - everyone here is coming up with great advices and Todd's and Ben's videos are most likely great graphic representations of elements which are necessary for you to take into consideration. Aside this, practicing focused is a crucial element as well as consistency - It is better to spend a dedicated hour a day, on your favorite technique, rather then trying to cram up 5 hours in one day in a week wink.gif

Thanks! smile.gif Here is one more that shows a different angle with the camera. Gives a good view of the pick angle. Also, notice how my hand isn't very tense. Tensing up can actually prevent you from achieving your full potential and can burn our your arm to quick during a session and reduce your overall endurance.

It's important to find the minimal amount of effort/motion required to make a given strike, and then the minimum amount to make the counter strike. (down stroke, upstroke, etc.)

As Bruce Lee said, "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be" ":)

Todd

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 20 2013, 04:45 AM) *
Thank you fo rhelping, i will check these video right away smile.gif
Damn, last video, clean and fast impresive smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 20 2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor
I'm afaraid it's more a matter of focusing a bit more strength just to the moment of skipping to another string. Though I never felt comfortable with forearm resting point like the one You have. Don't You feel uncomfortable while playing in standing position? Simialr as Ben I rather use angled wrist coming "from above" the bridge. When You look at Todd's hand You'll see similar solution. Rest is a matter of individual hand built etc.

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 20 2013, 05:12 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 20 2013, 12:24 PM) *
Well said!!! If you plan on practicing 7 hours a week, don't try to do it in one chunk. You'll do much better IMHO if you practice a bit every day in a focused manner on the bits you are trying to master. This is just a general guideline of course, and nobody is suggesting you are only practicing one day a week! Just a good piece of advice. smile.gif

Thanks! smile.gif Here is one more that shows a different angle with the camera. Gives a good view of the pick angle. Also, notice how my hand isn't very tense. Tensing up can actually prevent you from achieving your full potential and can burn our your arm to quick during a session and reduce your overall endurance.

It's important to find the minimal amount of effort/motion required to make a given strike, and then the minimum amount to make the counter strike. (down stroke, upstroke, etc.)

As Bruce Lee said, "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be" ":)

Todd

Thank you, ill try to copy your right hand and and we will see i do any progressions.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 20 2013, 03:12 PM) *
I'm afaraid it's more a matter of focusing a bit more strength just to the moment of skipping to another string. Though I never felt comfortable with forearm resting point like the one You have. Don't You feel uncomfortable while playing in standing position? Simialr as Ben I rather use angled wrist coming "from above" the bridge. When You look at Todd's hand You'll see similar solution. Rest is a matter of individual hand built etc.

Well i never stand up tongue.gif.
if i have understood correctly. You think i have to much flat hand against the guitar?
But if will try to "angel up" my right hand like Ben and Todd, i can see a big difference of holding the pick.

Thanks for all your advice.

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2013, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 20 2013, 07:34 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I made a new clip, is this a better approach against the strings? I don't know if the angel is to flat? I'm trying to copy Todd and Ben.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AwDhytZTA...eature=youtu.be

EDIT: As i can see the arm should come more above the bridge, am i right?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2013, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2013, 11:09 PM
ANDERS: You are still "PICKING FROM THE ELBOW" as it were. While some players use this technique exclusively, I"d suggest you begin to learn to pick from the WRIST DOWN as I mentioned. One way to help you do this, (as mentioned earlier in reply to DARIUS) is to rest your forearm on the guitar. This way, your hand is encouraged to get it's motion from the wrist/fingers.

This allows for greater control IMHO, reduced fatigue (allowing you to play/practice at speed for longer periods) and improved precision smile.gif

Scroll down and look at the vid below and the reply to DARIUS. Notice the right arm is resting on the guitar and picking is coming from the wrist/fingers.

MORE QUICK TIPS!

*Try to put your guitar between your legs if at all possible. This is called "Classical Position" and allows a better right hand placement IMHO smile.gif At least while you are learning this bit.

*Place your right hand on the bridge to MUTE the strings. Try to keep it planted there or just above the bridge when not muting. This centers the hand and allows easier access to all strings IMHO. Try to tilt your hand to get to the strings if possible instead of moving it.

Todd

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 20 2013, 01:34 PM) *
I made a new clip, is this a better approach against the strings? I don't know if the angel is to flat? I'm trying to copy Todd and Ben.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AwDhytZTA...eature=youtu.be

EDIT: As i can see the arm should come more above the bridge, am i right?

TRY THE FOREARM RESTING ON THE GUITAR INSTEAD OF FLOATING FREE. Though it did take a while to get used to it smile.gif The arms natural instinct is often to tense/tighten during fast passages. This results in the "picking from the elbow" syndrome and can wear out your arm/hand pretty quickly reducing overall endurance. You'll notice some player an only play in bursts partially due to the elbow syndrome. I developed the "Forearm Rest" technique as a way to ISOLATE the picking motion to the wrist down. So it starts with finger articulation of the pick, then wrist motion.

As a result I can play at any speed in my range for extended periods of time without arm/wrist/hand fatigue. smile.gif This comes in really hand every Saturday/Sunday during the 2 Hour clinic each day. It does take time to work out the technique but the results are well worth it IMHO smile.gif

I teach this technique (simply by encouraging "center placement" of the hand on the bridge for muting) during the video chats and it's a struggle at first for students to adapt, but once the muscle memory is in place, I've seen students make HUGE gains in precision/speed/endurance. smile.gif

Here is a "STAND UP" version of the technique in a solo.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 20 2013, 09:12 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 20 2013, 11:31 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 20 2013, 11:13 PM
Instructor
Yes - I meant exactly what You understood smile.gif Not saying it's something bad bad I now only a few guitar players Who use it that way. Most Of them have their guitar almost under the neck while playing with strap on smile.gif As opposite We have many players (even most in this topic) that keeps their hand resting point above the bridge smile.gif

Let me add my few cents so as guys did smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Nov 20 2013, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2013, 11:28 PM
I see that DARIUS is using the "Forearm Rest" technique in this video when he starts speeding up (great example about 1:00 minute in), it's a good example of it and shows the form quite well with the camera angle Also, notice his picking motion is happening from the WRIST DOWN. He is NOT picking from the elbow or using his forearm.

This is yet another GREAT example of really good form/technique yielding great results. Take note of the hand positions in these videos and see if you can try something similar, ok?

Hopefully these vids and feedback are helping? Time to make a new vid for us!!

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 20 2013, 05:13 PM) *
Yes - I meant exactly what You understood smile.gif Not saying it's something bad bad I now only a few guitar players Who use it that way. Most Of them have their guitar almost under the neck while playing with strap on smile.gif As opposite We have many players (even most in this topic) that keeps their hand resting point above the bridge smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 20 2013, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Nov 20 2013, 11:55 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hehe, it looks like i have to go back to basic:) i really appreciate your effort of helping me. I will study the videos and reply with a new clip if i can handle the basic technique and I'm sure i have some more questions. Todd i must say, you have very good advises and i will try to have them in my head when practicing.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 20 2013, 11:13 PM) *

Fast smile.gif impresive. If i understand this, you are only "hitting" the string and on the upstroke you are using fingers to drag the pick back or are you just using your finger on the downstroke as well if you understand what i mean?

I can see in the demonstration in 1.35 that you are "only" using fingers, but when u speed up i cant exactly see how you are doing, but i guess its "only" fingers, or does it more become as a shaking movement?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 21 2013, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:42 AM