4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
2007 Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 07:02 PM
Instructor
Kris i got your point but still we are not only talking about the Playing Skills but also about composing, right?

Because the technique stuff is obvious - you have to practice no matter what.

Composing is something completely different.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 07:05 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 07:02 PM) *
Kris i got your point but still we are not only talking about the Playing Skills but also about composing, right?

Because the technique stuff is obvious - you have to practice no matter what.

Composing is something completely different.

I apply my thesis to everything (excepts sport! blink.gif ) and it has been working so far.

I personally believe that the ability to come with melodies, arrangments, riffs (etc.) is related to how much you have actively listened to music... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 07:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 07:05 PM) *
I personally believe that the ability to come with melodies, arrangments, riffs (etc.) is related to how much you have actively listened to music... smile.gif

True, in writing songs i sometimes hear just the pieces of songs i heard somewhere. It's always like that at the beginning but the more you try to compose the faster you'll develop your own style.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 06:18 PM) *
This sure is an interesting topic. smile.gif Also, for some reason Mozart and Bach are always brought up when speaking about this. I prefer Allan Holdsworth a lot more than those two but I guess that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Here is my answer - forget my last post - here is the story of my life:
Do you believe this? I don't. Oh and by the way mr Holdsworth (just like Mozart) got the finest education possible, through a fantastic musician - his dad. Talent? Motivation? Inspiration? Started early? Musical genes?

If it wasn't for the fact that my job is to learn other be their best at guitar - I sure wouldn't tell the truth. If my job was to write and record multi-million-dollars albums I sure as hell would go for the "you can't touch me" attitude.

Luckily it isn't. smile.gif

Teach Yngwie how to do that.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 08:02 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 07:08 PM) *
True, in writing songs i sometimes hear just the pieces of songs i heard somewhere. It's always like that at the beginning but the more you try to compose the faster you'll develop your own style.

Yes - I believe songwriting is a combination of listening (as mentioned) and practcing, inother words writing song after song after song (as mentioned by toher people in the uploads board). If I compare my first a attempts to my current I can definately see some progress! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 21 2007, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 06:18 PM) *
This sure is an interesting topic. smile.gif Also, for some reason Mozart and Bach are always brought up when speaking about this. I prefer Allan Holdsworth a lot more than those two but I guess that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Here is my answer - forget my last post - here is the story of my life:
Do you believe this? I don't. Oh and by the way mr Holdsworth (just like Mozart) got the finest education possible, through a fantastic musician - his dad. Talent? Motivation? Inspiration? Started early? Musical genes?

If it wasn't for the fact that my job is to learn other be their best at guitar - I sure wouldn't tell the truth. If my job was to write and record multi-million-dollars albums I sure as hell would go for the "you can't touch me" attitude.

Luckily it isn't. smile.gif

Couldn't have put it better myself. Was trying too but you beat me to it.

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 22 2007, 03:23 AM
Whilst talking about Beethoven et al, think about this.

Music was their entire life. Today we have so many more distractions such as TV - an unbelievably wide choice of musical "styles", we have so much more "life" to live than they did. Our brains have to absorb so much more "stuff".

Imagine being restricted to a very limited pallette of music, living and breathing it and very little way of actually distributing music once it was written.
Whilst what they did is considered "genius" and is, and I dont want to suggest anything less, but I am thinking that while they are "named" as the sole writers of there music I am sure they would have had lots of help from actual musicians, who were often "illiterate" and so could not physically write music down. How many musical ideas did they get that way?

At the time they wrote music, there was little other written music around, so they were innovators in that they were able to publish music for the first time, no one could say that it was not original music.
Now of course, its almost impossible to write something truly original and different to what has already been written - I mean, how many combinations are there for 12 notes !!! and it only takes moments now for someone in the world to say "I already did that"...

Again, I dont want this to come accross as "beethoven was shit" because clearly thats not the case, and I am sure there is much more of a case for genius than the drivel I have written here. I am just suggesting there is food for thought about the "time" "situation" and "availability" of music at the time.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 22 2007, 03:44 AM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Jan 22 2007, 03:23 AM) *
Whilst talking about Beethoven et al, think about this.

Music was their entire life. Today we have so many more distractions such as TV - an unbelievably wide choice of musical "styles", we have so much more "life" to live than they did. Our brains have to absorb so much more "stuff".

Imagine being restricted to a very limited pallette of music, living and breathing it and very little way of actually distributing music once it was written.
Whilst what they did is considered "genius" and is, and I dont want to suggest anything less, but I am thinking that while they are "named" as the sole writers of there music I am sure they would have had lots of help from actual musicians, who were often "illiterate" and so could not physically write music down. How many musical ideas did they get that way?

At the time they wrote music, there was little other written music around, so they were innovators in that they were able to publish music for the first time, no one could say that it was not original music.
Now of course, its almost impossible to write something truly original and different to what has already been written - I mean, how many combinations are there for 12 notes !!! and it only takes moments now for someone in the world to say "I already did that"...

Again, I dont want this to come accross as "beethoven was shit" because clearly thats not the case, and I am sure there is much more of a case for genius than the drivel I have written here. I am just suggesting there is food for thought about the "time" "situation" and "availability" of music at the time.

Would just like to add that during the time of beethoven and such music wasnt commercial. There was no such thing as copyright so they borrowed heavily of each other so even though Im sure beethoven wrote lots of stuff he probably borrowed alot too.

+Quote Post
n0x
Jan 23 2007, 05:38 AM
Deep knowledge of musical theory helps too.. Don't you think? smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 24 2007, 02:01 AM
Interesting musical discussion and controversy. Funny how it started with gear talk over a new 2007 version signature series guitar!

This post has been edited by Ikaros: Jan 24 2007, 02:03 AM

--------------------
Webpage:
- http://www.myspace.com/yngwie100
Equipment:
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks
- Roland Cube-20X modeling amp
- Boss FS-6 Dual Footswitch
- DOD YJM308 Overdrive (optional)
- Boss DS-1 Distortion (optional)
- Marshall MG15CD amp (spare)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 24 2007, 02:14 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ikaros @ Jan 24 2007, 02:01 AM) *
Interesting musical discussion and controversy. Funny how it started with gear talk over a new 2007 version signature series guitar!

hehe, yes! smile.gif I thought about splitting the topics - but it's a bit too late now - don't you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 24 2007, 02:18 AM
No problem Kris! I'm always amazed how any Yngwie subject matter takes off with a life of its own. You either love him or hate him. It's hard to find any middle ground.

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 24 2007, 03:28 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ikaros @ Jan 24 2007, 02:18 AM) *
No problem Kris! I'm always amazed how any Yngwie subject matter takes off with a life of its own. You either love him or hate him. It's hard to find any middle ground.

yes true! He is quite provocative so that could be one explanation. Also it's impressive that the no 1 godfather of shred still stands strong (both playing and carreer-wise!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 24 2007, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Ikaros @ Jan 24 2007, 01:18 AM) *

I think he's a big fat, leather trouser wearing, 80's cheesey music making bastard, but technically he's superb and I wish I could shred like him.

Isn't that middle ground? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Zee Deveel: Jan 24 2007, 10:15 PM

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 24 2007, 10:44 PM
I used to like Yngwie, then I turned 13.

When I started listening to other neoclassical shredders, I realised how much better they were and that's why I don't rank yngwie so high on my guitar playing 'ladder' anymore because there are players (Moore, Romeo) who just put him to shame on terms of emotion.

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 25 2007, 01:02 AM
I first heard his Rising Force album when a co-worker lent me a cassette tape of it in 1985. I've been a fan ever since and I'm 47 years old! I haven't bothered with any of the clones out there.

Also, I heard that the new 2007 version of Yngwie's signature Strat should be out on the market in the next 2-3 months. I'll try to get verification of that from the source.

Steve...
Yngwie Malmsteen 100%
http://yngwie100.home.comcast.net/

This post has been edited by Ikaros: Jan 25 2007, 01:03 AM

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 25 2007, 01:04 AM
Instructor
What is the approximate price of it?

I am waiting for Dean RC7 - Rusty Cooley Signature - can't wait to find out the price of it!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jan 25 2007, 01:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 25 2007, 05:18 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 24 2007, 07:04 PM) *
What is the approximate price of it?

I think it is the same price as last years model so you should see it in the $1300-$1500 price range. Just make sure its the new 2007 model to get all the changes. Here are the specs:

2007 Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster

Model Number: 010-7110-(Color#) and 010-7112-(Color#)

Series: Artist Series

Colors: (809) Candy Apple Red, (841) Vintage White, (872) Sonic Blue, (Polyurethane Finish)

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple, Modern Shape with Machine Screw Mounting Inserts,
(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Fingerboard: Scalloped Rosewood (p/n 010-7110) or
Scalloped Maple (p/n 010-7112), 9.5" Radius (241mm)

No. of Frets: 21 Dunlop 6000 Super-Jumbo Frets

Pickups: 2 Dimarzio® YJM Pickups (Neck & Middle), 1 Dimarzio HS-3 Stack (Bridge)

Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. No-Load Tone Control (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. No-Load Tone Control (Bridge and Middle Pickups)

Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade, Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Middle Pickup Position, 3. Neck Pickup

Bridge: American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo

Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller Vintage "F" Style Style Tuning Machines

Hardware: Chrome

Pickguard: 3-Ply White/Black/White

Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

Width at Nut: Brass Nut 1.65" (42 mm)

Unique Features: Special '60's Shape Neck, Large Late '60s Styled Headstock, Bullet Truss Rod Nut, Brass Nut, Scalloped Fingerboard, With Dunlop 6000 Jumbo Fretwire, Aged Pickup Covers, Aged Plastic Parts

Strings: Fender Super Bullets 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003

Accessories: Vintage Tweed Case, Strap, Cable, Meguiar's Mist and Wipe Kit

Case: Vintage Tweed Case

Introduced: 1/2007

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 25 2007, 12:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 25 2007, 01:04 AM) *
I am waiting for Dean RC7 - Rusty Cooley Signature - can't wait to find out the price of it!

That guitar looks sick dude!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
bricktop
Jan 28 2007, 07:13 PM
I've actually never even heard any of yngwie's stuff so I am lost. I'd like to though, but I have seen some of those youtube videos with overdubs which are hilarious! I think some talent exists when you get to higher levels of skill.
I was a competitive golfer, played for many years in local and state tournaments. I practiced my ass off, took lessons, etc. I mean I worked really, really hard. But I didn't have what it takes to actually go to Q-school (pro school). I grew up in Pebble Beach, California by the way, golf capital of the world(USA). smile.gif
Anyway even at the professional level look at Tiger Woods dominating the tour. Do you think the other pros wonder if there was something in there 15-20 Years of practicing that Tiger did that they didn't? No. He has that talent that they won't ever get no matter how hard they work, sorry, but that's the way it is.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:37 AM