Stretching Exercise
Bondy
Jan 14 2008, 10:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Saw this today and thought it would help people who are like me and have difficulty with the long stretches

Beginner:

Here are some beginner stretch licks that I have written for beginners. Just remember, take it slow, don't jump into playing it as fast as you can right away, play them slowly until you are comfortable with your fingers in that current fret position, then start to pick up the speed slowly. It is always a good idea to practice with a metronome to get your timing spot on. Enough of the blabbing, here are some of the licks:

Here is a little lick I came up with, basically it's a pretty simple 4 fret stretch using your 1st, 2nd, and 4th finger. Sometimes It can be hard to stretch 2 frets with your 1st and 2nd finger, so here is a good lick to help you with that.

Exercise 1
E---------------------------------------------------------E
B------------------------7-8-10-8-7-----------------------B
G------------------5-7-9------------9-7-5-----------------G
D------------5-7-9------------------------9-7-5-----------D
A------5-7-9------------------------------------9-7-5-----A
E---------------------------------------------------------E

Here is another lick involving the 1st, 2nd, and 4th finger, yet is higher up on the fretboard, which makes it a little easier for some people, try it out:

Exercise 2
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------E
B--------------------------------13-15-19-15-13--------------------------------B
G-----------------------12-14-17----------------17-14-12-----------------------G
D--------------12-14-17----------------------------------17-14-12--------------D
A-----12-14-17----------------------------------------------------17-14-12-----A
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------E

Intermediate:

Here are some intermidiate stretches for the ones that have mastered the 2 beginner licks. Like I said in the beginner section: Take you time and don't rush through these, get comfortable with the finger positionings! Here are the licks:

Here is a lick which uses the 1st, 3rd, and 4th fingers, the stretch on the high E string is the killer, I often have a hard time doing this transition from B to High E string and back.

Excercise 3:
E------------------------------------10-14-15-14-10----------------------------------------E
B---------------------------10-13-15----------------15-13-10-------------------------------B
G-------------------9-12-14----------------------------------14-12-9-----------------------G
D-----------9-12-14--------------------------------------------------14-12-9---------------D
A---9-12-14------------------------------------------------------------------14-12-9-------A
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------E

Advanced:

This is for all you advanced players who have mastered both the Beginnger and intermidiate sections. These test how flexiable your fingers really are, and will put you to the test and you stretching capability, so have fun and good luck!

This lick is a George Lynch lick, which he calls the gothic octave. It is an insane lick that stretches from your midle finger on the 5th fret, to your pinky on the 9th!! This lick is extremely hard to get down really clean! Good luck!!

Exercise 4:
E-------------------------------------9-10 14/16--------E
B-----------------------------9-10-14-------------------B
G----------------------6-7-11---------------------------G
D---------------6-7-11----------------------------------D
A---------4-5-9-----------------------------------------A
E---4-5-9-----------------------------------------------E

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
ZakkWylde
Jan 14 2008, 10:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great licks for finger distance, just what i neede to get some long distance rund down...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 14 2008, 10:53 PM
Learning Roadie
There helping me out a lot i have real problems playing licks like those at high tempo and i have not seen anything on GMC about it but i proberly will be corrected soon enough LOL

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jan 14 2008, 10:59 PM
The Dark Canuck
Thanks for posting Bondy. I'm having a bit of trouble with the stetches aswell and these exercises look great. Thanks again smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:33 PM