Mega Distortion, Metal Zone, Mxr Bad Ass Distortion Or What?, Pedals
Lovtscho
Sep 24 2012, 11:17 AM
GMC:er
Hey,

I admit I am a gear fanatic and love to buy new pedals.

I already own some of them:
Electro Harmonix Tone Tattoo (MetalMuff+Delay)
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Plus (Reverb)
Electro Harmonix Soul Preacher (Sustainer)
Electro Harmonix SuperEgo
TC Electronics Polytune
TC Electronics NOVA System
TC Electronics The Dreamscpae
Ibanez TS 808 Tube Screamer
DigiTech Distortion Factory DF-7 (which I dislike, because it sounds flatter than the others)

At this moment I am sure about buying the MXR Smart Gate M-135 which is working really good from the tests I made and does not affect the sound as much as the Boss Noisegate.

I also wonder which Distortion/Overdrive Pedals might be a good add on to give me some new colors to my pedalboard?

I was thinking about:

BOSS Mega Distortion
BOSS Metal Zone (which is in the gearbag of Nickelback e.g., but I fear their sound depends much more on the Boogies they use)
MXR 78 Custom Badass Distortion
Himmelstrutz (any of them?)

So what can some other pedaladdicts recommend me?

Oh maybe not too unimportant: Black Stone Cherry, Daughtry, Nickelback, Pearl Jam (from the Alive album), Van Halen or Zakk Wylde have the sound I try to accomplish with my pedalcollection. Some of these sounds can already be recreated really well, some not. I know the sound of these guys is often dependant of their tunigs and their amps, but sometimes you can recreate these sounds with pedals really well.

Ohh and I use a BlackStar amp! wink.gif

Thnaks for your ideas...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Fender Telecaster, Fame PRS Style Guitar, Ibanez S-450 (I think)
Bass: Status with graphite neck
Amp: Blackstar 5 Watt, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha THR10x.
Pedals & co: STRYMON TimeLine, EHX Soul Preacher, EHX Tone Tattoo, EHX Holy Grail Plus, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Super Ego, TC Nova System, TC Polytune, TC Dreamscape, Ibanez TS 808, Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7, CIOKS Powerunit, more to come...
Studiotechnique: Steinberg CSX interface, various mics and outboard, including Alan Smart, Audix, Beyerdynamic, CAD, Chandler, Charter Oak, Empirical Labs, Great River Electronics, Kush Audio, Lexicon, Peluso...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 24 2012, 12:58 PM
Use Boss Metal Zone if u play Underground Black Metal Only wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 24 2012, 01:07 PM
EH Metal Muff,
Zoom Tri-Metal:-

Zoom Hyper lead:-

You'll only find these Zoom's 2nd Hand, there's also an Ultra Fuzz one and a Power Drive. They're worth looking for, amazing sounding stomps!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 24 2012, 02:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow amazing collection of pedals you have got there! smile.gif

I would recommend Fulltone OCD as a very good drive pedal! The sound quality is just excellent.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 24 2012, 03:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Suhr Riot

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Sep 24 2012, 03:41 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 24 2012, 05:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I use a Boss Metalcore pedal. Works wonders man.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 24 2012, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
For the metal tone in EMULATOR, I recently switched from an MXR Fullbore Metal (too much mid scoop/too heavy) to a ModTone extreme metal. It was cheap too....but sounded better than many other pedals I tried. Awesome eq as well. I highly suggest at least trying one.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 24 2012, 07:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just purchased the xotic ep boost pedal - it's very subtle but adds a touch of vibrant aggression to your tone - enough to push your tubes harder. I wouldn't call it a metal pedal - more of a lead guitarist tone if you need a boost and some edge to cut through the rhythm section. I've been pretty happy with it since I purchased it a few days ago.

Chris

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2012, 08:24 PM
Well now you have to record a demo for us! smile.gif You can't just tease gear and leave it at that!

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Sep 24 2012, 02:27 PM) *
I just purchased the xotic ep boost pedal - it's very subtle but adds a touch of vibrant aggression to your tone - enough to push your tubes harder. I wouldn't call it a metal pedal - more of a lead guitarist tone if you need a boost and some edge to cut through the rhythm section. I've been pretty happy with it since I purchased it a few days ago.

Chris

+Quote Post
Lovtscho
Oct 8 2012, 09:26 AM
...or dies anyone know the Jeckyl and Hyde pedal(s)? Think they are available as a combination and single

--------------------
Guitars: Fender Telecaster, Fame PRS Style Guitar, Ibanez S-450 (I think)
Bass: Status with graphite neck
Amp: Blackstar 5 Watt, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha THR10x.
Pedals & co: STRYMON TimeLine, EHX Soul Preacher, EHX Tone Tattoo, EHX Holy Grail Plus, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Super Ego, TC Nova System, TC Polytune, TC Dreamscape, Ibanez TS 808, Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7, CIOKS Powerunit, more to come...
Studiotechnique: Steinberg CSX interface, various mics and outboard, including Alan Smart, Audix, Beyerdynamic, CAD, Chandler, Charter Oak, Empirical Labs, Great River Electronics, Kush Audio, Lexicon, Peluso...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2012, 04:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lovtscho @ Oct 8 2012, 05:26 AM) *
...or dies anyone know the Jeckyl and Hyde pedal(s)? Think they are available as a combination and single

yes! this is my favourite! as well as the Route 66 also by Visual Sound.

I think that you could also add a Wah Wah and maybe a Whammy to your current set up...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2012, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 8 2012, 11:23 AM) *
yes! this is my favourite! as well as the Route 66 also by Visual Sound.

I think that you could also add a Wah Wah and maybe a Whammy to your current set up...

Good poing! A nice Wah pedal ( wads to choose from just try several and see what you like) and maybe a Digitech Wammy Pedal (does wah/octave/harmonizer all in one pedal) would a good idea.

Todd

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Oct 9 2012, 05:59 AM
Personally, I prefer the ProCo Rat Box. I really like the tone it produces. Especially when using it with a Class A Tube Amp.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2012, 11:53 PM
The pro co rat has tons of bite smile.gif when I plugged in my metal muff for the first time it reminded me
Of the pro co rat sonically .

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Oct 9 2012, 12:59 AM) *
Personally, I prefer the ProCo Rat Box. I really like the tone it produces. Especially when using it with a Class A Tube Amp.

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Oct 15 2012, 06:22 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 10 2012, 10:53 PM) *
The pro co rat has tons of bite smile.gif when I plugged in my metal muff for the first time it reminded me
Of the pro co rat sonically .

Perfect for Black Metal! laugh.gif

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:55 PM