7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
The 'fusing The Genres' Collaboration, Time to get Electronic!
Taka Perry
Sep 12 2014, 06:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Folks!

It's time for us to get electronic with the 'Fusing the Genres' Collaboration! The idea behind this one is to stray away from standard rock instrumentation, and solo over a more synth-driven style of backing track. Furthermore, if you want to play an instrument other than guitar, you are more than welcome, as it would be awesome seeing some other instruments being added into this collaboration. So if you're up for it, keep reading on for more details!

Lets make this one big!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Important Stuff

Backing Track: Attached File  fusing_the_genres.mp3 ( 2.73MB ) Number of downloads: 1043

Tempo: 150BPM

Key: E Minor / G Major

Deadline: Friday 10th October
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After you come up with your guitar part, here is what I need you to do:

1. Open up the backing track in your DAW
2. Record yourself playing the solo, with both audio and video
3. Render a 16-bit WAV 44.1KHz with just the solo
4. Render an MP3 file with the backing track and the solo
5. Send the video (preferrably .mp4)

You can upload these files via Dropbox or just on this thread. Alternatively you can email me a link over at [email protected]
Tips: I'm going to quote Cosmin here, because I agree with him entirely. It's better to make short but polished, detailed lines, rather than long rushed passages! There is no need to play over the entire backing track, in fact, it would probably be better to focus on a particular section.

Finally, have fun and enjoy! Let's see what we can create smile.gif

Participants: Taka Perry, Cosmin Lupu, Huargo, Jim S., Todd Simpson, Gabriel Leopardi,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 17 2014, 05:23 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2014, 09:14 AM
Instructor
Hey Taka smile.gif I'm in wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 12 2014, 02:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 12 2014, 06:14 PM) *
Hey Taka smile.gif I'm in wink.gif

Great to have you on board mate! wink.gif I am looking forward to what you come up with. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Huargo
Sep 12 2014, 10:29 PM
Tone Seeker
In!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 13 2014, 07:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (huargo @ Sep 13 2014, 07:29 AM) *
In!

Fantastic! smile.gif Looking forward to your stuff Huargo smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 13 2014, 02:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Taka I really like this track, you did a nice job putting this together. Even though I've tried to stay away from Collabs recently just to stay focused on other lessons, I'm gonna write something for this. I'm in!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 13 2014, 03:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 13 2014, 11:59 PM) *
Taka I really like this track, you did a nice job putting this together. Even though I've tried to stay away from Collabs recently just to stay focused on other lessons, I'm gonna write something for this. I'm in!

Thank you Jim! I'm happy to have you involved on this one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 14 2014, 10:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Heres a little recording I did today. It has the theme in which I'm shooting for. There are a few notes which I really like. The first is F# this has some great harmonics to it. The other is a E harmonic minor starting on B. Lastly is the lick that ends on a G and F#. That is a cool tension. As Ben Higgins would say, Most of the work is done I just need to add polish to it. Not Polish like Poland but polish like the nail paint.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/fusing-the-genres-ideas

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 15 2014, 03:54 AM
GMC:er
I'm in!!! smile.gif My solos usually get truncated down to about 1 or 2 seconds, so hopefully if this one remains a tight/small group, we can all get good playtime!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 15 2014, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 15 2014, 12:54 PM) *
I'm in!!! smile.gif My solos usually get truncated down to about 1 or 2 seconds, so hopefully if this one remains a tight/small group, we can all get good playtime!

Fantastic stuff Todd! I can also rework the backing track in the final mix so everyone's solo will fit in its entirety smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 15 2014, 07:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Would anyone care to bounce back n forth on one lead? Or like phrase for phrase?

An idea would be to have all participants add one lick that builds upon the next until the climax of the song. Just an idea.

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Sep 15 2014, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Huargo
Sep 15 2014, 09:05 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 14 2014, 09:00 PM) *
Heres a little recording I did today. It has the theme in which I'm shooting for. There are a few notes which I really like. The first is F# this has some great harmonics to it. The other is a E harmonic minor starting on B. Lastly is the lick that ends on a G and F#. That is a cool tension. As Ben Higgins would say, Most of the work is done I just need to add polish to it. Not Polish like Poland but polish like the nail paint.

Hi Jim! nice lines here!
0:34 my fav smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 15 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Would anyone care to bounce back n forth on one lead? Or like phrase for phrase?

An idea would be to have all participants add one lick that builds upon the next until the climax of the song. Just an idea.

A good idea for a instructors collab... i think it's a lot of work for a student to edit a lot of phrases but i like the concept...
Searching the perfect lick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2014, 12:25 AM
Instructor
That's a very cool backing and this collab a great initiative!! Of course I'm in!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2014, 08:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 14 2014, 09:00 PM) *

Hey Jim biggrin.gif Looks like you befriended Mattias IA Eklundh on this track wink.gif Nice lines! I especially love the 0:24 chord and that lick around 0:34-0:38 - that one sounds very Mattias like!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 16 2014, 01:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (huargo @ Sep 15 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Hi Jim! nice lines here!

A good idea for a instructors collab... i think it's a lot of work for a student to edit a lot of phrases but i like the concept...

Thank for listening Huargo! I agree that might be too much.

I think I'll end my solo on that lick your talking about. I think it's a little nasty

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 16 2014, 03:19 AM) *
Hey Jim biggrin.gif Looks like you befriended Mattias IA Eklundh on this track wink.gif Nice lines! I especially love the 0:24 chord and that lick around 0:34-0:38 - that one sounds very Mattias like!

Cosmin thanks! That exactly where I'll end my solo. Short n sweet!

I am not familiar with Mattias, I shall google him or her now.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 17 2014, 12:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 15 2014, 07:00 AM) *

Hey Jim! Sorry for the delayed reply! The solo sounding great! I agree, most of the work is done, now its just the final polish smile.gif really loving the harmonic content in the guitar tone smile.gif The faster playing in the second parts contrasts very nicely with the more melodic side in the first section.

Are there any parts which you aren't completely happy with? Tone wise or playing wise or anything, let us know!

QUOTE (huargo @ Sep 16 2014, 06:05 AM) *
Hi Jim! nice lines here!

I'm totally in for something like that! Even if I'm a student, I'm happy to mix together a back n forth lick kinda thing!

Jim, I'm interested in what you specifically meant by doing a back n forth lick! Do you mean as well as having solos?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 16 2014, 09:25 AM) *
That's a very cool backing and this collab a great initiative!! Of course I'm in!! smile.gif

Great stuff Gab! Looking forward to hearing some stuff smile.gif

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Sep 17 2014, 01:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 16 2014, 12:57 PM) *
Thank for listening Huargo! I agree that might be too much.

I think I'll end my solo on that lick your talking about. I think it's a little nasty

Cosmin thanks! That exactly where I'll end my solo. Short n sweet!

I am not familiar with Mattias, I shall google him or her now.

Great choice, Jim - as I said, you actually hit some very different things with this improv, than I am used to hearing from you - was it the backing that inspired you, or have you been working on this direction and found it appropriate to deploy such lines in here? smile.gif

Mattias is one of my favorite guitarists - he is a Swedish prog/cartoon/pop/metal musician biggrin.gif If we can describe him like this!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 17 2014, 12:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 17 2014, 03:50 AM) *
Great choice, Jim - as I said, you actually hit some very different things with this improv, than I am used to hearing from you - was it the backing that inspired you, or have you been working on this direction and found it appropriate to deploy such lines in here? smile.gif

Mattias is one of my favorite guitarists - he is a Swedish prog/cartoon/pop/metal musician biggrin.gif If we can describe him like this!

I believe the combination of the rec. lessons and this backing have allowed me to open up a bit. In the lessons there are passing tones I'm picking up on, here I found B maj or atleast sliding into the maj third starts a harmonic minor phrase. From there I wanted to be creative moving up the neck. I felt as though at that point there was a need to hit some of the chords tones and there was the top of a gmaj arp. I like using those "I think harmonic minor tones, making coffee now" when I solo but never seem to pull it out at the right time.

This little passage was pretty easy to write because it wrote itself. Each part seemed to just fit together. I'm pumped to work on ot again.

As you know I'm programming drums..........

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2014, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Beautiful playing Jim. You solo sounds fresh, very uncommon but tasty. These are descriptions that are tricky to find together so it speaks really good of you as a guitarist and composer.

Cosmin asked a very interesting question, and now I'm even more curious, is this an improvisation? How did you worked on the different licks?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 17 2014, 03:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 17 2014, 10:09 AM) *
Beautiful playing Jim. You solo sounds fresh, very uncommon but tasty. These are descriptions that are tricky to find together so it speaks really good of you as a guitarist and composer.

Cosmin asked a very interesting question, and now I'm even more curious, is this an improvisation? How did you worked on the different licks?

Thank you! Well to be quite honest, while improvising over the backing I played one take that was just great. I seemed to nail the harmonic minor bending lick and from there I played an odd rhythmic sequence with these pauses that eventually ended up with that wobbly min 2nd interval with the whammy. After that I said to myself, that's what I wanted to say! From memory I couldn't get that same feeling like the one I just played.

The version on the recording is my best rendition of what I thought I played. All of what I improvised started when I played the d# over G maj. I started really looking at what I was playing and thought about how the guitar parts on the lessons I was studying linked together.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:58 PM