Major = Happy, Minor = Sad, Can the opposite also be true?
AK Rich
Dec 23 2015, 08:52 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey everyone. This is something that I wonder about from time to time.
Normally when we think of a happy or uplifting song, it tends to be a song in a Major key, right? And when we think of a sad or dark song, it tends to be a song in a Minor key, right?

My question to everyone is this. Can the opposite be true as well? Is it possible to have a sad sounding song written in a Major key, or a happy sounding song written in a Minor key? And if so can anyone provide any examples? Or describe some approaches that would enable this concept to work?

I am thinking that examples of this are rare but do exist but the only example I could come up with is a song in a Major key that sounds sad.
I think it may be less difficult to pull off making a Major key sound sad than it would be to make a Minor key sound happy. Or maybe I just haven't been able to wrap my mind around a way to make it work or think of a song where it has been accomplished.

For my example of a song in Major key that sounds sad, I submit to you a song from Frank Zappa, entitled "Watermelon in Easter Hay" from the album "Joe's Garage." As best I can tell, this song is in E Maj with only 2 chords which are A Maj and B Maj with an E for the bass note (B/E).
Or have I been fooled by some kind of music theory slight of hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cu8sDa90Y

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- AK Rich   Major = Happy, Minor = Sad   Dec 23 2015, 08:52 PM
- - fzalfa   Hi i feel the same sometime !! Laurent   Dec 23 2015, 08:55 PM
- - fkalich   I don't see anything sad about this song. Mino...   Dec 23 2015, 09:25 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:22 AM