Pickup Replacement
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2009, 07:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I'm always on the look for something to upgrade my guitar, and every once in a while I come across the idea of replacing the pickups. I always end up wanting to replace the bridge PU on my Ibanez SA model with a Seymour Duncan TB-4 (I need trembucker, right??). Now first of, is the money (ca. 70 euros) worth it? ATM I have the stock True Duo pickup. I also wondered wether I can have my push/pull pot to split the humbucker working with a new humbucker! And then, the big question, would I be able to do it myself? I can solder, not very good, but I can. I opened up the backplate of my Ibanez, and I had to say, it's a very small compartement, with a lot of wire, it'd be hard to find the ones to unsolder, and find the spots to solder them...

All in all, the question, should I give it a shot? I can also give the guitar with pickup to a luthier, but it would (ofcourse) cost some money, would it then, still be a good replacement? pls keep in mind the guitar costed 270 euros, although ofcourse in a new guitar I could switch the humbucker with the one in the Ibanez....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
MickeM
Aug 1 2009, 07:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Of course you can do it yourself! But never rip the inside out without a plan.

Before you start.
- Make a drawing of the inside so you can restore it as it originaly was.
- Keep a drawing of the new pickups in place. Make sure you UNDERSTAND what everything does.

And while soldering one of these helping hands is useful. You know, it has a magnification glass in the middle and a set or arms with grip claws to hold the wires. It makes the work ten times easier!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2009, 07:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
The SD Jeff Beck will work well in your guitar and if 70 Euros are too much then go for a used one and save some cash!
It is well worth the money because you will get a better tone (if you like how the Sh-4 sounds)

You have a tremolo on your guitar so you will need a trembucker (floyd rose spacing) the pickup is a little wider and and not as thick as a normal humbucker so it will fir beneatch a trem...

Seymour duncan pickups come with multiple conductor cables and a little schmeatics how to solder them in (also how to make the coil split work). It is not very difficult to do it yourself, I would try to do it and if you fail you can always let it be fixed by a luthier.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2009, 08:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 1 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Seymour duncan pickups come with multiple conductor cables and a little schmeatics how to solder them in (also how to make the coil split work). It is not very difficult to do it yourself, I would try to do it and if you fail you can always let it be fixed by a luthier.

Haven't thought of it that way, very true tongue.gif Any clue why the trembucker is 8 euros more expensive then the Normal (SH-4)?

Also, you have tips on other pickups? I have a Mahogany body, HSS config, it's for the H in the bridge. I play rock oriented, Satriani, Guns 'n Roses, all that stuff, but also some pop and even a tad of jazz. I have a vintage trem, and F-spacing. Any good suggestions? Price, well about the same as the Jef Beck, 70 euros.

Thanks for the help guys! I kinda expected ZakkWylde to hop in tongue.gif " Guitar MasterClass Pickup Guide" laugh.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 1 2009, 08:10 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2009, 09:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here I go again: tongue.gif

First of all, the 8 euros price diffrence between standard and floyd rose sized pickups is just marketing, there is no reason why it should be more expensive, yet the companies make a them more expensive because Floyd Players HAVE to pay it if they want a fitting pickup -.-

The Sh-4 is a classic, it sounds warm and has a singing high end
The Sh-5 (Custom) is a ceramic Paf style pickup, a little tighter and great for Satriani stuff, all kinds of rock and yet it can also do Metal really well - personally think it will work better in a mahagony guitar than the Sh-4...
I think Emir Hot has an SH-5 in his Hamer, so you'll have an impression of that sound.

If we go DiMarzio (hey it rhymes^^) then the Paf Pro would be the way to go for you. It's like the Jeff Beck pickup of DiMarzio, it's THE classic Dimarzio pickup that is used by the likes of Satriani and Paul Gilbert (Joe Satriani's signature pickup is a Paf Pro with a little variation)

If you have the possibility to play any of those pickups in a Similiar guitar, DO IT! It will ofcourse sound diffrent as it's not your guitar but you can get a general impression on how the pickup sounds and reacts.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2009, 10:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 1 2009, 10:32 PM) *

First of all, the 8 euros price diffrence between standard and floyd rose sized pickups is just marketing, there is no reason why it should be more expensive, yet the companies make a them more expensive because Floyd Players HAVE to pay it if they want a fitting pickup -.-

The Sh-5 (Custom) is a ceramic Paf style pickup, a little tighter and great for Satriani stuff, all kinds of rock and yet it can also do Metal really well - personally think it will work better in a mahagony guitar than the Sh-4...
I think Emir Hot has an SH-5 in his Hamer, so you'll have an impression of that sound.

If we go DiMarzio (hey it rhymes^^) then the Paf Pro would be the way to go for you. It's like the Jeff Beck pickup of DiMarzio, it's THE classic Dimarzio pickup that is used by the likes of Satriani and Paul Gilbert (Joe Satriani's signature pickup is a Paf Pro with a little variation)

If you have the possibility to play any of those pickups in a Similiar guitar, DO IT! It will ofcourse sound diffrent as it's not your guitar but you can get a general impression on how the pickup sounds and reacts.

I don't have the possibility... Any reason why I should go Dimarzio, and not Duncan? I heard some clips of the SH-4 and the SH-5, the overdriven sound is nice and warm on the SH-5, but the clean is way better on the SH-4... Hard to pick tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2009, 10:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Duncan or DiMarzio is a matter of personal prefearance, you can't really say one is better than the other. They are the two leading guitar pickup companies and both built quality pickups. Some don't like Dimarzio because they *believe* that their top end sounds thin other don't like Duncan because they *believe* they are too noisy; just like I said, personal prefearance...

The clean is better on the Sh-4 because it has an Alnico V magnet which gives a smoother and warmer sound, with more dynamics which is better for clean sounds. The Sh-5 has a ceramic magnet which is tighter and more defined, it cuts through the mix with a clear tone but it sounds harsh(er) and has a smaller dynamic range which makes it not as good for clean tones (but mixing it with you other pickups or coilsplitting the humbucker should solve that)

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 1 2009, 10:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 1 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Be sure to use a STRONG soldering iron if You shall iron on the pots....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Aug 1 2009, 10:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is great information, Zack...thanks. I am in the market to upgrade the pups in my Jackson HSS config. Had I not read this post I would have a drawer full of pickups that I can't use. (Right next the 27 drawers full of everything else that I've bought 10 of.)

Cheers!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2009, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Aug 1 2009, 11:58 PM) *
This is great information, Zack...thanks. I am in the market to upgrade the pups in my Jackson HSS config. Had I not read this post I would have a drawer full of pickups that I can't use. (Right next the 27 drawers full of everything else that I've bought 10 of.)

Cheers!

No Problem mate! cool.gif

If you are searching for pickups then open a new thread (we don't want to highjack Kaznie's) and I and the other users will try to help you to find pickups for you wink.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2009, 11:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 1 2009, 11:42 PM) *
Be sure to use a STRONG soldering iron if You shall iron on the pots....

//Staffay

I agree, you cannot do it with low wattage soldering iron, gotta have the bulky stuff. You can do it Kaz, I've seen some of your solderings, this is nothing compared to that. You get clearly labeled isntructions and everything... Let us know what you did.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ninjawrathz
Aug 2 2009, 04:47 AM
GMC:er
Sorry to hi-jack the thread - I'm getting a DiMarzio super distortion and what would be a great matching neck pickup? I heard a PAF Pro would be good.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 2 2009, 01:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ninjawrathz @ Aug 2 2009, 05:47 AM) *
Sorry to hi-jack the thread - I'm getting a DiMarzio super distortion and what would be a great matching neck pickup? I heard a PAF Pro would be good.

I would say DM Air Norton would be a better match for a super distortion (outputwise) but a Paf Pro should work aswell

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 2 2009, 02:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 2 2009, 12:20 AM) *
I agree, you cannot do it with low wattage soldering iron, gotta have the bulky stuff. You can do it Kaz, I've seen some of your solderings, this is nothing compared to that. You get clearly labeled isntructions and everything... Let us know what you did.

whaha, yes that thing is now in the bin.... whahaha, that was way to hard tongue.gif

QUOTE (ninjawrathz @ Aug 2 2009, 05:47 AM) *

NO problem men, I can only learn from all this!

@ ZakkWylde, any other PU's you would reccomend? In my previous Post I said what I was looking for! Also, can you give me a clue on how big the sound difference is? I mean is it worth it on a 270 euros guitar?

Please read the last post here:
http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=77013

Is that important for me? I have the True Duo, this guys says that swapping the PU won't give the same splitted result...

I just read on the Seymour Duncan site that often a bright sounding guitar is matched with a warm sounding pickups, for evening it all out. Now SD also says that Mahogany is often used for warm sounds. Now my Ibanez is Mahogany, but isn't it a bright sounding guitar? That'd mean I can better take a bit of a warmer sounding pickup, like SH-5, is that correct??

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 2 2009, 02:36 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 2 2009, 02:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
There are other pickups by SD or DM that might work aswell but I think I listed the ones that are the best for what you want to play. Also you are on a tight budget - for 100 Euro you could get a handmade Bareknuckle Pickup or some Stan Hinsley pickups like the ones Muris uses...

It's up to you if you NEED a pickup change. Do you like how your guitar plays and feels but not how it sounds? Then change the pickups!

Your sound will not only be clearer and better sounding with a good pickup it will also feel like a diffrent guitar because the sound characteristics will change!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 2 2009, 02:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 2 2009, 03:25 PM) *
There are other pickups by SD or DM that might work aswell but I think I listed the ones that are the best for what you want to play. Also you are on a tight budget - for 100 Euro you could get a handmade Bareknuckle Pickup or some Stan Hinsley pickups like the ones Muris uses...

It's up to you if you NEED a pickup change. Do you like how your guitar plays and feels but not how it sounds? Then change the pickups!

Your sound will not only be clearer and better sounding with a good pickup it will also feel like a diffrent guitar because the sound characteristics will change!

I played my dad's Gibson LP.... and then my Ibanez, and it just played and sounded like a bit of plactic, compared to the LP biggrin.gif The whole true duo thing will make it all a bit harder...

EDIT: damn the Fender/gibson veta tongue.gif I saw some ebay Jeff Beck SD pickups for 20 euros tongue.gif that's a price to just trie it out tongue.gif Now the thing is.... it was a SH-4....... and most are tongue.gif and that stinks wink.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 2 2009, 02:49 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 2 2009, 03:07 PM
PAF JOE!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 2 2009, 03:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Aug 2 2009, 04:07 PM) *
PAF JOE!

Why? because it has JOE in the name?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 2 2009, 03:16 PM
because it's awesome.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 2 2009, 03:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Aug 2 2009, 04:16 PM) *
because it's awesome.

again why?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:39 PM