Drop C Lesson Tab Request
Rammikin
Jun 6 2012, 03:33 AM
Experienced Rock Star
If you look at tablature books which include Drop C songs, you'll see they are usually notated as if it was in Drop D. Then they add a note something like "Tuned to Drop C. Song sounds a whole step lower than notated" or "Tuned to Drop D, down 1 whole step". The advantage to this is you don't have to learn a new fretboard smile.gif.

So I'd like to suggest that, when tabbing out a Drop C lesson, like Cosmin's excellent Alter Bridge lesson, tab it as if it was drop D to make it easier to read.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2012, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I don't think I'm getting this biggrin.gif the positions are the same, right? Even if the tuning is different.

I always provide the GP files with the right tuning. Clue me in on what you need wink.gif

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 6 2012, 04:36 PM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 6 2012, 06:29 PM
Experienced Rock Star
As an example, look at the tablature for your Alter Bridge lesson. An open high string is notated as a "D". Now look at any tablature book or magazine with a Drop C song. It will show an open high string as an "E". It sounds as a "D" of course, so the tablature will have a textual note to that effect, like I mentioned above. But by notating it as a "E", it's easier to read since you don't have to think of a new fretboard layout for the 5 high strings.

In other words, even though the lesson is in Drop C, use the Drop D tuning setting in GuitarPro. Then just put a textual note somewhere that the lesson is tuned to DropC.

Sorry to use your lesson as an example. It's only the most recent one I've encountered on GMC smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 6 2012, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jun 6 2012, 05:29 PM) *
As an example, look at the tablature for your Alter Bridge lesson. An open high string is notated as a "D". Now look at any tablature book or magazine with a Drop C song. It will show an open high string as an "E". It sounds as a "D" of course, so the tablature will have a textual note to that effect, like I mentioned above. But by notating it as a "E", it's easier to read since you don't have to think of a new fretboard layout for the 5 high strings.

In other words, even though the lesson is in Drop C, use the Drop D tuning setting in GuitarPro. Then just put a textual note somewhere that the lesson is tuned to DropC.

Sorry to use your lesson as an example. It's only the most recent one I've encountered on GMC smile.gif

That doesn't make much sense. If the lesson is played in drop C, why would the Guitar Pro tab be in drop D? It would just be confusing for everyone. You couldn't playback the Guitar Pro tab either because it wouldn't be in the same tuning as the lesson - therefore it wouldn't sound the same. There's no need to think about "new fretboard layouts", the positions are all the same and if you know the basic EBGDAE layout, you should have no problems playing in any other tuning - it's a tab after all, and it shows numbers, not actual notes.

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jun 6 2012, 06:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 6 2012, 06:52 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 6 2012, 05:42 PM) *
it shows numbers, not actual notes.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm talking about the notes, not the numbers. That's the way every book or magazine I've ever seen works, so this isn't my idea smile.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 6 2012, 06:56 PM
GMC:er
I know what he's trying to point out but have to think how to display this to show it.

"Cosmins Tab" has the strings listed as this. Drop C
D||-----
A||-----
F||-----
C||--8--
G||--8--
C||--8--

"Others Tab" has it listed as this. Drop C (Whole Step Down)
E||-----
B||-----
G||-----
D||--8--
A||--8--
D||--8--

I'm with you Dinaga, on it doesn't really matter but me and my friend got into this discussion the last time we went out. When your tuned to say B Standard and you chug with.

E|---
B|---
G|---
D|-2-
A|-2-
E|-0-

Tho its in B people still refer to it as E tuned to B.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 6 2012, 07:14 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I suppose it depends on whether you read the musical notation or not. If you only use the numbers in the tablature, then it doesn't matter what's in the musical notation. But if you use the musical notation, it's easier to read if GMC lessons use the standard convention and notate "Drop C" as "Drop D tuned down a whole step". Anyway, just a suggestion.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 7 2012, 12:03 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Here's a picture from the Disturbed Indestructible transcription book to show what I'm referring to. This song is in Drop C, but is notated as if it was in Drop D.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:08 PM