The Eye-opening Gmc Collab, You too can write amazing melodies
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 09:09 AM
GMC Founder
The eye-opening GMC collab
You too can write amazing melodies

"To play amazing melodies you need a God given natural talent and... yellow slippers."

If you believe in this stuff you might want to get outta here wink.gif Because in this collab we’ll explore how it’s done, and no talent is needed at all! You do need time and devotion though.

In this collab we’ll use an amazing backing track by our own Javier Aviles to build our melodies.

This collab is a perfect opportunity for you to understand how you can follow - or ‘outline’ - the chords to create amazing melodies.

You can either compose a solo/melody and use the short backing track: In this case you should strive for something melodic and minimise fast runs. I recommend you to record around 40 seconds solo. My feedback here will focus on technical, structural and musical improvements.

OR you can record an improvised take over the long backing track. My feedback will then be related to the overall flow of the improvisation and I will suggest any tricks I can think of to help you improve.

BASIC APPROACH

You can play the C minor pentatonic scale over the whole backing track and it will sound good. For more colors, play the C aeolian scale (my personal favorite!).

With this basic approach, you won’t consciously be hitting the perfect notes over the chord changes all the time, but there is a big chance you will do it accidentally.

FOLLOW THE CHORDS!

A more advanced way to solo over this backing track, is to not only play scales, but also to follow the chords. When you hear a note choice or melody that sounds too good to be true, then the guitarist is usually following the chords the way I describe below.

If we look at the two chords of this backing, we get:

Cm: contains the notes C, Eb and G

Fm: contains the notes F, Ab and C

We have two changes, let’s see exactly what you should do over these, to write super strong sounding melodies:

When the backing changes from Cm to Fm the interesting opportunities lie in:

Bend the Eb note to F. If you nail this over the chord change, people will think you’re God.
Bend the G note to Ab. Again, hallelujah!

When the backing changes from Fm to Cm:
Bend the F note to G.
Bend the C note to Eb.

These are the most obvious ones, but with some creativity there are plenty of other ways to go from chord note to chord note.

Bare in mind that as long as you bend into a strong note ( = chord note) you can actually do it from any note, even one that sounds horrible. It is a safe way to write strong material, and works for any genre in the world.

If you are not comfortable bending, you can play the notes regularly with your pick, or slide into them (etc etc)

To determine when the chord changes are happening, you should start counting the beats from the beginning of the backing track. The first change to Fm happens after aprox 6 seconds, when you have counted to 4, two times.

See the tab/pdf in the lesson for more details.

-----

DOWNLOAD THE BACKING TRACKS:

Attached File  eye_opener_collab.mp3 ( 2.26MB ) Number of downloads: 759

Attached File  eye_opener_JAM.mp3 ( 10.15MB ) Number of downloads: 625

* Tempo is 78 bpm
* Deadline is April 8, 2015
* Although this is an audio collab, feel free to video record yourself as this will help you get better feedback.
* When you want to submit your final take, upload files in this topic (mp3 with at least 128 kbps quality, 16 bit wav files are welcome though). We need two files: 1. Your solo without the backing track 2. Your solo mixed with the backing track for reference.

Here you can see me jamming over the backing track:

------

RESLULT

>>>>> FINAL MIX <<<<<<

Participants:

Bas Cuthach, Sensible Jones, Procyon, AKRich, Todd Simpson, GeneT95, Kristofer Dahl, Monica Gheorghevici, Bleez, MisterM, Phil66 and Pzalfa.

Participants:

Bas Cutach + Sensible Jones: Creating the atmosphere
Procyon: Solo over the created atmosphere
AK Rich Solo over GeneT95 and Bas Cuthach arrangements.
Todd Simpson Solo while GeneT95 continues adding rhythm.
Kristofer Dahl Solo, Gene continues rocking.
Monica solo over Kris’s rhythm delay auto pan arrangement and also some Massive synth addition. Bas Cuthach joins in the second half.
Bleez and MisterM guitar solos interact perfectly over the backing destroyed with industrial effect.
Phil66 and Pzalfa solos go nicely together while backing fade down and Bas Cuthach once again with his delay based rhythm.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
bleez
Mar 18 2015, 09:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
no talent + minor pentatonic? this is the collab for me cool.gif

I really like the concept of this and the backing is very cool indeed. Im looking forward to giving it a go smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 10:15 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 18 2015, 09:48 AM) *
no talent + minor pentatonic? this is the collab for me cool.gif

I really like the concept of this and the backing is very cool indeed. Im looking forward to giving it a go smile.gif

Excellent Bleez. I'm willing to bet my slippers that following the chords will take your playing a to a new level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 18 2015, 10:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
Cool, I love this backing track but this time it will be hard for me to find a nice melodic line.
This is because I listened Kris improv for thousand times and I have in mind each note from his video biggrin.gif Will be very hard to get out from my mind his ideas because I think what he made sounds perfect. But... I will try to play something wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 10:25 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 18 2015, 10:19 AM) *
Cool, I love this backing track but this time it will be hard for me to find a nice melodic line.
This is because I listened Kris improv for thousand times and I have in mind each note from his video biggrin.gif Will be very hard to get out from my mind his ideas because I think what he made sounds perfect. But... I will try to play something wink.gif

Actually, that does not sound like a problem to me at all ph34r.gif If you like my lines, why not let them re-appear in your take? cool.gif

Hehe thanks a million for your kind words! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 18 2015, 10:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 18 2015, 09:25 AM) *
Actually, that does not sound like a problem to me at all ph34r.gif If you like my lines, why not let them re-appear in your take? cool.gif

Hehe thanks a million for your kind words! biggrin.gif

I worked a lot to be able to play one of your pattern and for that be sure that I will borrow some Kris:ish style tongue.gif You know, I think it's a good backing to use your idea of shred with swing (skipping one note in a 16th note triplet pattern). If I will keep a right picking (down, up, up and pull-of, hammer-on) I guess/hope nothing will sound bad wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 11:07 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 18 2015, 10:59 AM) *
I worked a lot to be able to play one of your pattern and for that be sure that I will borrow some Kris:ish style tongue.gif You know, I think it's a good backing to use your idea of shred with swing (skipping one note in a 16th note triplet pattern). If I will keep a right picking (down, up, up and pull-of, hammer-on) I guess/hope nothing will sound bad wink.gif

hehe there you have it, that's definitely my favorite.

If you borrow stuff on a micro level, you can get away without anyone really noticing. However sometimes it can also be very good to borrow longer stuff just to get inspiration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 18 2015, 12:01 PM
Learning Roadie
As Bogdan advice me, i'll do a try with this.

Without any waranty.....

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
AdamB
Mar 18 2015, 12:14 PM
GMC:er
I'll get involved in this one, too.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 03:28 PM
GMC Founder
Excellent Laurent and Adam. Can't wait to hear what you come up with! =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2015, 03:41 PM
Who could say no? It's my fave scale!! smile.gif Count me in as well!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 18 2015, 04:05 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 18 2015, 03:41 PM) *
Who could say no? It's my fave scale!! smile.gif Count me in as well!

Excellent Todd, looking forward to your take! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 18 2015, 05:56 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
This is a very cool backing that offers unlimited opportunities to show off some phrasing and dynamics. Very nice choice for a collab smile.gif I will be exploring with this one for sure. Thanks Javier and Kris!
PS: I can hear Carlos Santana in my head playing some beautiful lines over this backing.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 18 2015, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 20 2015, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie
humm...

i cannot send my participation, todd is to far better..... i give up !

i have somthing to show, but it's ugly, full of false notes and crapy..... and my brand new webcam is blurry.... dammnnnn

i'm so shy...

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Mar 20 2015, 06:30 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 20 2015, 08:39 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I am really enjoying playing along with this backing but I am having trouble figuring out how and when to end it with the way the backing slowly fades out, and I am not sure how all the takes are going to connect. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 20 2015, 08:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 20 2015, 06:11 PM) *
humm...

i cannot send my participation, todd is to far better..... i give up !

i have somthing to show, but it's ugly, full of false notes and crapy..... and my brand new webcam is blurry.... dammnnnn

i'm so shy...

Laurent

Don't be so hard on yourself. With this thinking, there would only be one guitarist left in the world.

Fortunately playing guitar is not a competition, and what some people like others don't. And the good thing about GMC, is that we're all here to learn - so takes of any level are accepted! smile.gif

Now give it a go - you can do it!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 20 2015, 08:39 PM) *
I am really enjoying playing along with this backing but I am having trouble figuring out how and when to end it with the way the backing slowly fades out, and I am not sure how all the takes are going to connect. Any ideas?

You could see it as a challenge to follow the dynamics of the backing with your guitar, which means you will have use the volume knob towards the end. Alternatively, end your solo before the fade out (or play over the long backing track).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Mar 21 2015, 12:25 AM
I'm in, and this time I'm going regularly update my take. Here is my first attempt at this backing track. I took your advice from the last one for this take and made it a point to give more breath between phrases, and I repeated a couple rhythmic ideas to give certain spots more continuity. I made gradual adjustments to the tone knob and my picking dynamic throughout to give it a more mysterious and organic feel.

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Mar 21 2015, 02:16 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  eye_opener_first_attempt.mp3 ( 1.04MB ) Number of downloads: 521

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 21 2015, 09:35 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Mar 21 2015, 12:25 AM) *
I'm in, and this time I'm going regularly update my take. Here is my first attempt at this backing track. I took your advice from the last one for this take and made it a point to give more breath between phrases, and I repeated a couple rhythmic ideas to give certain spots more continuity. I made gradual adjustments to the tone knob and my picking dynamic throughout to give it a more mysterious and organic feel.

blink.gif Wow what a cool first take! Killer melodies and amazing tone!

I'd say you have a next to perfect foundation to build upon here. You can decide if you want to polish more on it, maybe by adding some kind of tension. Ie by testing some outside notes or trying to integrate a faster passage without compromising with the melodic content.

Or - you could use these ideas to practice improvisation over the long track. I have been doing this recently and it's a super effective way to translate musical ideas into stuff you can use flexibly for jamming purposes (if that makes sense).

The only thing I reacted on was at 00:16. Here you have waited through the entire intro (which is really smart btw - this way you let Javier convince the listener how good your take is). Then at 00:13 you start of melodically, and you match the expectation raised by the [silent] killer intro. However the phrase at 00:16 comes a bit early, giving you much less options to gradually build anticipation towards a climax. So you could let the last note of the first phrase hang for a while and maybe give it some twist at the end (vibrato/bend/slide etc).

I think that if you tried to build up more slowly, these ideas are probably enough to get you through the entire jam backing track.

Keep going, this sounds amazing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Mar 21 2015, 11:51 AM
Learning Roadie
hi here

thsi is small contribution, a sort of preview...

dont ear the 2 first sec, i was playing for fun....

feel free to tell your advices

regards

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2015, 06:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm in. This will be interesting, I keep thinking of the original exorcist film sound track (Tubular Bells) so I don't know what I'll come up with unsure.gif

I don't know if I'll be able to follow the chords but I'll have a go. blink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 21 2015, 06:42 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:03 PM