You Know What? I Kinda Miss..., Some feedback
RIP Dime
Mar 7 2007, 10:43 AM
GMC:er
I kinda miss the long 15min(or so) 101 lessons. sad.gif These were sometimes split up in two, and usually had many installments, and they had about a page long written explanation.
Ya know, the lessons in witch Kris(or the instructor) would explain the concept in detail, like what's cool about the concept, why it's important, talk about some famous players that use the technique/concept, then Kris would show us how to go about learning how to play or use the technique/concept, then he would give us some exercises that help us to get good at the technique/concept, and then finally he would show us how to apply the technique/concept to our playing, and he would explain how it would help and improve our playing.(This is kinda what the lessons were like, because all the lessons are different)
These 101 lessons were my favorite, I really showed great improvement from these lessons, and enjoyed watching and reading them and sucking as much information out of them as possible. biggrin.gif

Recently though we have had these great lessons with a lot of shorter videos and short written explanations(in a really cool format!). They usually have a main tune that contains the technique/concept, an explanation of the technique/concept, and then a breakdown of the tune. These really helped my technique, and gives me lots of cool riffs and licks to learn.
But as much as these lessons help I think the long 101 lessons had a bigger emphasis on making the technique unique to you, and applying the technique to your own playing so you can make better songs and solos.
Now I'm not saying we should stop doing the short lessons, I think the short, multi-video lessons are the best way to do solo lessons and riffs and licks lessons.
I think that the long lessons in the old format were the best for 101 lessons, and I think that lessons like the How to Sweep, Legato, Advanced Chords, and Fingerpicking might have been better suited to the old, longer 101 lesson format.

Well I guess what I'm saying is that I love the new lesson format, I love how it helps with the solo, and riffs and licks lessons, but I think the 101 lessons are better suited and might help us more in the old longer video format. I think that if the site were like this I'd never stop practicing! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt
Mar 7 2007, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 7 2007, 07:13 PM) *
I kinda miss the long 15min(or so) 101 lessons. sad.gif These were sometimes split up in two, and usually had many installments, and they had about a page long written explanation.
Ya know, the lessons in witch Kris(or the instructor) would explain the concept in detail, like what's cool about the concept, why it's important, talk about some famous players that use the technique/concept, then Kris would show us how to go about learning how to play or use the technique/concept, then he would give us some exercises that help us to get good at the technique/concept, and then finally he would show us how to apply the technique/concept to our playing, and he would explain how it would help and improve our playing.(This is kinda what the lessons were like, because all the lessons are different)
These 101 lessons were my favorite, I really showed great improvement from these lessons, and enjoyed watching and reading them and sucking as much information out of them as possible. biggrin.gif

Recently though we have had these great lessons with a lot of shorter videos and short written explanations(in a really cool format!). They usually have a main tune that contains the technique/concept, an explanation of the technique/concept, and then a breakdown of the tune. These really helped my technique, and gives me lots of cool riffs and licks to learn.
But as much as these lessons help I think the long 101 lessons had a bigger emphasis on making the technique unique to you, and applying the technique to your own playing so you can make better songs and solos.
Now I'm not saying we should stop doing the short lessons, I think the short, multi-video lessons are the best way to do solo lessons and riffs and licks lessons.
I think that the long lessons in the old format were the best for 101 lessons, and I think that lessons like the How to Sweep, Legato, Advanced Chords, and Fingerpicking might have been better suited to the old, longer 101 lesson format.

Well I guess what I'm saying is that I love the new lesson format, I love how it helps with the solo, and riffs and licks lessons, but I think the 101 lessons are better suited and might help us more in the old longer video format. I think that if the site were like this I'd never stop practicing! biggrin.gif

Yea, i strongly agree. Honestly, as much as those new lessons are good, this site has never been the same since the 101's stopped. I havnt really learnt much from this site since sad.gif

Not that the new lessons are bad, their just not the kinda things im looking at learning right now.

Oh and btw, the Curious Coincidence lesson is awsome, but are u gona teach us the solo?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
Norven
Mar 7 2007, 05:50 PM
Actually I don´t agree with you.. I think 101 lessons are great.
But I prefer the riffs and solo lessons.

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
Ibanez_player
Mar 7 2007, 10:14 PM
I like the riffs/licks lessons. I can just grab my guitar and learn it within a few minutes and start practicing. Once you know the basic techniques it isn't that hard. But I do like the 101 lessons a lot too. They seem more like an actual guitar lesson with a private instructor.

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Mar 7 2007, 10:25 PM
I agree also.
I was really getting alot out of the 101 lessons and like you said Rip. The short lessons are great, and I dont want to see them stop, however the long explanations and learning about the techniques was really good. I've noticed my desire to spend time on these short lessons is not as great as was the 101 lessons. Over all I'm very pleased with the progress that GMC has helped me to accomplish. And thanks to Kris and Pavel my playing has gotten extremley better since signing up...So with that said.. Keep up the good work guys. It is appreciated..

Deano

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 8 2007, 02:49 AM
I agree with all you guys.
I don't want Kris or Pavel to get me wrong though, I am GREATLY thankful for every single lesson on this site. I love the riffs and licks lessons, I don't want them to stop, and I didn't mean any disrespect to Pavel or Kris(they're so cool why would I want to!). And I'm not saying anything bad about the riffs & licks lessons , I love those lessons,I'm not saying the 101 lessons are better at all, I'm just saying they seemed to help me, and motivate a little more. So I apologize for any misunderstanding.
I just wanted to bring it to Kris' attention that I love the longer 101 lesson, and am asking for some updates. They feel more like in-person lessons, and they really motivate me. But I totally understand if Kris is busy, and I wouldn't want to put any pressure on him to "do it now, now, NOW!" laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 8 2007, 04:28 AM
We should suggest some things we'd like to see from the 101 lessons and I'm sure Kris or Pavel would make something for us if there was a demand!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 8 2007, 05:06 AM
^Why didn't I think of that laugh.gif .
Well, I was kinda hoping for a continuation(is this a word? laugh.gif ) of the speed picking series. It stopped at vertical speed picking.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 8 2007, 09:15 AM
Instructor
There will be a lesson on speedpicking on Monday - it is planned for a long time now - and finally it's comming this Monday!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 8 2007, 10:50 AM
GMC Founder
Good feedback in this thread - thanks RIPDime! smile.gif I hope to get the time to continue the 101 serie pretty soon.

Some of pavel's lesson have included a long explanation in the beginning (video clip1) - what do you think about this format?

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
julz_122
Mar 8 2007, 11:52 AM
i think the new format is kl but i prefer the format of the old 101 lessons, they helped me alot more, because it actually seemed like a 1 to 1 lesson. Im not saying they new lessons are rubbish because they are not, they are amazing but i still prefer the old 101 lessons. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 8 2007, 12:40 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 8 2007, 10:50 AM) *
Good feedback in this thread - thanks RIPDime! smile.gif I hope to the time to continue the 101 serie pretty soon.

Some of pavel's lesson have included a long explanation in the beginning (video clip1) - what do you think about this format?

Kris

First of all, thanks! smile.gif Sometimes I forget to post feedback, but I really should because that's the only way you guys know what's going on with our playing.

I like the long explanations in the begining of those lessons, but I dunno...I think when there is a technique/concept/thing that you guys are trying to teach us, (such as sweeping, phrasing, or how to use a metronome) I think it is best done as one long video. It's a very hard thing to explain, but the best way I can describe it is that the new format doesn't feel as...real, or like julz_122 said "actually seemed like 1 to 1", and just the fact that the video is bigger, and we can actually see your guy's face most of the time just adds alot. I also think that the old 101 lessons may have been(I hope I don't step on any toes with this unsure.gif ) more thought out than the new ones, they just seem more detailed and more thought out than the newer ones, and seemed to have more ways for us to apply what you guys were teaching to our playing, and more about how it can improve our music. Maybe it's because the lesson are done faster now? I don't really know how to explain it any better...can someone help me out?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 8 2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah i must agree , the 101 lesssons are my favorites. And i do like the solo section as well as Riffs and Licks ( great work pavel ) but There is a vast difference between the videos in 101 and the other videos. Maybe its because Kris goes farther in depth with the techniques and everything ? None the less i love every last video on this site . From the Bass Lessons- to the solo section- all the way back to 101.

But it wouldnt hurt adding more to 101 every once in awhile- ( Just a Suggestion)

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:14 AM