Intermediate: Guitar Bushido
Ben Higgins
Jan 25 2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor
GUITAR BUSHIDO: INTERMEDIATE

Congratulations warrior for taking your first step on the path..

TASK 1: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal_Patterns_1/

One of the biggest things that affects many of us guitar players is hand synchronisation. I'd like to address that issue straight away and work with you to improve it. Only with better hand synch will you be able to break out of your barriers and reach a higher level of competence and dexterity. You don't have to be a rock or metal lover to benefit from this either wink.gif

Your task is to record and upload a version of this lesson by Wednesday 1st Feb. Feel free to use this thread to ask questions, post try-out videos to get feedback and even swap advice and experiences.. this is what it's for ! smile.gif

I warned the Beginner group that for each deadline missed, 1 finger will be broken. However, you guys have an even higher level of responsibility so 1 finger and 1 toe will be broken for each task that is missed. I don't enjoy having to punish anyone.. it hurts me more than it hurts you... ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
JD_
Jan 25 2012, 12:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome, Thanks mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Jan 25 2012, 01:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you Master Higgins ! I'll do my best to be worth of your teachings biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 25 2012, 02:27 PM
GMC Founder
I also want to emphasize that this task will be immensely helpful for intermediate student even if only recorded at a slow tempo (+ you obviously want to keep your toes and fingers wink.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 25 2012, 06:42 PM
GMC:er
Great, just what I need to get into! Well chosen Ben!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 25 2012, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Glad you like it guys ! smile.gif

As Kris correctly pointed out, it's not too important for the takes to be the same speed as the original lesson. I don't mind if people record takes at a slower speed. It's important that everyone gets to benefit from the task and I'd rather they cultivated correct technique at a slower tempo than struggle with it. I forgot to add that to my post but it will be added to the next Task info so everyone sees it cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jan 25 2012, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 25 2012, 06:50 PM
Learning Roadie
its a great lesson because you can really spped this up once you "own" it, it covers alot of ground on the fretboard, and the harmonic minor scale just sounds awesome cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 25 2012, 07:11 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Whew I'm glad this lesson is in my routine anyway and I am pretty close to nailing it at full speed. Took me quite a while.
But I can't agree more, playing it at slower speeds helped me a lot!

Christian

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Jan 25 2012, 07:11 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 25 2012, 07:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 25 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Whew I'm glad this lesson is in my routine anyway and I am pretty close to nailing it at full speed. Took me quite a while.
But I can't agree more, playing it at slower speeds helped me a lot!

Christian

This is just more proof that I always know what you guys are doing... I can see.... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 25 2012, 07:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yep...you are scary Ben...really scary. Better do my push-ups now.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
metaldan
Jan 26 2012, 02:37 AM
Ben... you mentioned that article I did... that's exactly how I'm going to play this (I guess you could call it my Yngwie Principal)... do you want me to do this strict alternate picking or how I would normally approach a run like this?

--------------------
My blog and instructional website

+Quote Post
metaldan
Jan 26 2012, 06:11 AM
Tips to world domination (or at least mastering this exercise)

I am going to point out the obvious just for the sake of doing so:

1.) There is one scale form (which isn't the chart at the bottom of the page...). Learn it forwards and backwards before really digging into the patterns. 3 note per string... the pattern essentially repeats every two strings

2.)There are three sequences. Each sequence is essentially a small pattern that moves through the strings. Separate the smaller, individual patterns out on each string, and work on them one at a time. When you feel comfortable, see if you can fit two of them together, then three... until you get the whole thing...
Then of course you need to do it descending....

3.) Repeat with the other two sequences

I'd recommend NOT using a metronome until you can play through the whole sequence without having any 'brain farts'

Happy Shredding!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 26 2012, 10:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (metaldan @ Jan 26 2012, 01:37 AM) *
Ben... you mentioned that article I did... that's exactly how I'm going to play this (I guess you could call it my Yngwie Principal)... do you want me to do this strict alternate picking or how I would normally approach a run like this?

I'd be interested to hear the other approach so perhaps do both in one video, just one after the other ? smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldan @ Jan 26 2012, 05:11 AM) *
Tips to world domination (or at least mastering this exercise)

I am going to point out the obvious just for the sake of doing so:

1.) There is one scale form (which isn't the chart at the bottom of the page...). Learn it forwards and backwards before really digging into the patterns. 3 note per string... the pattern essentially repeats every two strings

2.)There are three sequences. Each sequence is essentially a small pattern that moves through the strings. Separate the smaller, individual patterns out on each string, and work on them one at a time. When you feel comfortable, see if you can fit two of them together, then three... until you get the whole thing...
Then of course you need to do it descending....

3.) Repeat with the other two sequences

I'd recommend NOT using a metronome until you can play through the whole sequence without having any 'brain farts'

Happy Shredding!

Great advice here from Dan. When I'm learning a new pattern, sequence, solo whatever.. I always make sure it's embedded in my brain by just playing it through in free time slowly before I start working on tempo and speed with a metronome.

As I'm always fond of saying 'Give yourself time to get it right !' smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 26 2012, 01:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Logged 2.5 hours already. I'm somewhere around the 140-145 bpm. It's given me a good reason to break out the Burny LP for the drop tuning

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 26 2012, 01:30 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Sean_1234
Jan 26 2012, 03:03 PM
Hey Ben! Awesome initiative! I'd really like to hop on with this intermediate (might try advanced, not sure yet) I have a question. I'm not cuurently a paying member. Could you share the GP5 file for the lessons you use for this Bushido, or is that forbidden? They're licensed to you, aren't they? Can't miss the money right now sad.gif

Let me know!

Sean

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 26 2012, 03:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Sean_1234 @ Jan 26 2012, 03:03 PM) *
Hey Ben! Awesome initiative! I'd really like to hop on with this intermediate (might try advanced, not sure yet) I have a question. I'm not cuurently a paying member. Could you share the GP5 file for the lessons you use for this Bushido, or is that forbidden? They're licensed to you, aren't they? Can't miss the money right now sad.gif

Let me know!

Sean

Hi Sean,

In order to access the GMC lessons content you do need to have an active subscription.
There is no other way to obtain access to those materials.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
metaldan
Jan 26 2012, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 26 2012, 09:59 AM) *
I'd be interested to hear the other approach so perhaps do both in one video, just one after the other ? smile.gif

Great advice here from Dan. When I'm learning a new pattern, sequence, solo whatever.. I always make sure it's embedded in my brain by just playing it through in free time slowly before I start working on tempo and speed with a metronome.

As I'm always fond of saying 'Give yourself time to get it right !' smile.gif

ok. You will get my approach then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Jan 26 2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your tips MetalDan,

here is how I approach this lesson :

1-Right now I only focus on the first two parts of the lessons, and play them at various speed until its perfect and smooth (right now its not but I feel I am almost there at real speed !)

2- then I'll do the same for part 3 and 4.

3- then moving on to part 5 and 6.

my guess is that I might be short in time to get this right, especially if I also want to make a cool video of myself up in the snowy mountain. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Jan 26 2012, 07:39 PM
Here is how I sound for the first two parts... Like MetalDan I do not use a metronome yet or backing because Im just beginning to get familiar with this lesson.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  metalpatternfirstTwoparts.mp3 ( 608.16K ) Number of downloads: 113

+Quote Post
metaldan
Jan 26 2012, 08:09 PM
QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Jan 26 2012, 06:01 PM) *
Thanks for your tips MetalDan,

here is how I approach this lesson :

1-Right now I only focus on the first two parts of the lessons, and play them at various speed until its perfect and smooth (right now its not but I feel I am almost there at real speed !)

2- then I'll do the same for part 3 and 4.

3- then moving on to part 5 and 6.

my guess is that I might be short in time to get this right, especially if I also want to make a cool video of myself up in the snowy mountain. biggrin.gif

No problem Olivier! You should try breaking it up even smaller than that! Like that first pattern, cycle two strings (6 and 5) for 4 reps, then strings 4 and 3 ... 4 reps... 2 and 1 ... four reps... do that a few times through. Then see if you can connect the pattern on 6 and 5 to the pattern on 4 and 3.... 4 reps... then see if you can do the whole thing... 4 reps! Build little pieces at a time...

Most of the time faster runs are these smaller repeating patterns, or licks, chained together. Master the smaller pieces and the rest is cake.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:01 PM