Ack - I'm Terrible At This, video recording that is :D
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 09:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
So I'm finding out I don't have all the stuff I need to produce a good video. I got a free FLIP vid recorder which does great video, but it only gives one video format MP4, which I thought was fine. So I got a free MP4->AVI converter. So I imported the video into Cubase, and aligned it with my recording, but Cubase doesn't actually split the video for video editing purposes, so the output file is well.... grrrr. So I try Windows Movie maker, but that only exports Windows-centric video, which I can't deal with. So I finally said screw it - I'm currently downloading Vegas Movie Studio Platinum per this sites' recommendation. I figured while its downloading I'd go ahead and share the audio in MP3, which to my shagrin, sounds terrible compared to the WAV format, but because I'm downloading 100 MB, uploading a 19MB file would just make my evening all the more unbearable, so here's a 2 MB MP3.

I really don't talk this much in person. tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  chris_solo_d.mp3 ( 1.09MB ) Number of downloads: 235

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
May 25 2010, 09:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nicely played

Hope you fix the video issues soon. everyone goes through that initial pain.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by zen: May 25 2010, 09:21 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 10:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks.
And did I mention I have Jury Duty in the morning sad.gif haha. oh well. Tonight is one of those nights I guess. I finished installing Vegas Movie Studio, lined up the video and audio and am uploading to Youtube right now to test it out. No captions/titles or anything other than credit where credit is due - GuitarMasterClass and Muric of course!

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 25 2010, 01:55 AM) *
Thanks.
And did I mention I have Jury Duty in the morning sad.gif haha. oh well. Tonight is one of those nights I guess. I finished installing Vegas Movie Studio, lined up the video and audio and am uploading to Youtube right now to test it out. No captions/titles or anything other than credit where credit is due - GuitarMasterClass and Muric of course!

well, that worked!
You Toob

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
May 25 2010, 10:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
is that the full version of vegas or a lite version? isnt the full version like £800?

ive got a little cheap kodak point and shoot (same size as an ipod) which has a very very basic bit of software with it.

i just set it up on a £5 mini tripod point it roughly at me and record and use that to submit the recs

but i do need to be able to record some better quality videos so hopefully can record and sell some dvds to pupils so am interested to about this vegas you have...

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 25 2010, 12:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 25 2010, 08:14 AM) *
... which to my shagrin, sounds terrible compared to the WAV format, but because I'm downloading 100 MB, uploading a 19MB file would just make my evening all the more unbearable, so here's a 2 MB MP3.

I really don't talk this much in person. tongue.gif

Tends to be to virtually everyone's chagrin Chris. The compression in most/all MP3 encoding has a tendency to increase the gain and so can easily result in distortion particularly if you tend to record hot. This is even more noticeable when you have inter-modulation. TBH you may not be aware of inter-modulation overs since most recording daws are not set up to monitor for this.

As a general rule for encoding a wave to mp3 - attenuate so that the peak output is below -0.5dB (you may need to go to -1dB - experiment a bit) to account for the gain from the mp3 encoding.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 25 2010, 02:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Nice take Chris. Sounds and looks excellent. Good control & vibrato. A little more accuracy and clean in the fast passages, and its a 10 from me at least. smile.gif (even that Im not into the REC-jury)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 25 2010, 04:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 25 2010, 06:48 AM) *
Nice take Chris. Sounds and looks excellent. Good control & vibrato. A little more accuracy and clean in the fast passages, and its a 10 from me at least. smile.gif (even that Im not into the REC-jury)

//Staffay

woot! thanks Staffy. And I stink at the string tapping stuff. I don't know why they invented it in the first place, but I guess I need to learn it to be cool. cool.gif

QUOTE (stratman79 @ May 25 2010, 02:47 AM) *
is that the full version of vegas or a lite version? isnt the full version like £800?

ive got a little cheap kodak point and shoot (same size as an ipod) which has a very very basic bit of software with it.

i just set it up on a £5 mini tripod point it roughly at me and record and use that to submit the recs

but i do need to be able to record some better quality videos so hopefully can record and sell some dvds to pupils so am interested to about this vegas you have...

It's the "cheap" version ($84 USD -> I don't know the conversion).
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

What I did was set my FLIP up on a tripod in front of my computer
http://www.theflip.com/en-us/ and plugged in my guitar directly into my AI for recording into Cubase. I then exported the audio from Cubase into .WAV, then imported the video and audio into the Vega software, replacing the audio from the FLIP with the audio from Cubase - had to do a little track nudging to line everything up, but it seems to work decent enough.

If you're going to be creating DVD lessons, what I did is probably a little more complex than what you'd want. But I do like the Platinum software - pretty easy/intuitive to work with.

Christian A.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 25 2010, 04:23 AM) *
Tends to be to virtually everyone's chagrin Chris. The compression in most/all MP3 encoding has a tendency to increase the gain and so can easily result in distortion particularly if you tend to record hot. This is even more noticeable when you have inter-modulation. TBH you may not be aware of inter-modulation overs since most recording daws are not set up to monitor for this.

As a general rule for encoding a wave to mp3 - attenuate so that the peak output is below -0.5dB (you may need to go to -1dB - experiment a bit) to account for the gain from the mp3 encoding.

Inter-modulation. I'm gonna have to look that one up too. You are a walking encyclopedia of invaluable recording information. Do you have any recorded lessons on learning how to master/record from a professional's perspective? I'm really interested in learning all the finer details of it, but theres soooooo much to learn, and like this - there's language and concepts I'm unaware of so wouldn't be able to even ask the right questions! mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 25 2010, 05:29 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 25 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Do you have any recorded lessons on learning how to master/record from a professional's perspective? I'm really interested in learning all the finer details of it, but theres soooooo much to learn, and like this - there's language and concepts I'm unaware of so wouldn't be able to even ask the right questions! mellow.gif

Might be of some interest to you Chris that I posted a couple of 'fly on the wall' type threads of a few mini mastering sessions that I did around XMas/January of this year on some audio material from Staffy, Gabriel and his band Cirse, and also Ivan and Bogdan and their band.

I don't have a video camera though so everything I do tends to be written and/or audio only (and besides I'm far to ugly to appear on film - my face would give your kids nightmares ;-) ).

It's not particularly easy to do generic lessons on mastering though since it tends to be different according to specifics: what the recording is like; what the artists want as an end result; how one track relates to the others on the cd, and; what equipment you have (the settings you apply for say a clinical EQ like an Ibis are not quite the same as a N-Seq let alone a color EQ like a Massive Passive). The generic stuff that you can do would probably revolve around the technical detail of, for instance, what dither is, how intermodulation occurs and affects audio, what and the Nyquist frequency is important. Probably the issue there though is that it is technical and can get pretty dry very quickly. This to a great extent is why mastering is often called both an art and a science.

With mastering it often also isn't that easy to provide audio examples since much of what we MEs work with is quite fine detail and an audio example would kind of have to presume that you had a monitoring chain that was capable of hearing that. For instance if I was giving examples of shelving the bass and the differences between 6, 12, 18 and 24 dB per octave roll off below 50 Hz you would need a monitoring system capable of being linear to 20 Hz: most studio monitors roll off way above that and so couldn't reproduce the detail well enough. This is a major reason why trainees MEs tend to do interns/apprenticeships with MEs - gives them access both to the ME and ME grade equipment.

Having said all that I'm more than happy to offer help/advice and respond to questions. Also if there is enough interest on a series of articles about mastering I'm quite happy to do so if Kris gives it the nod.

Just to add and answer the Q what intermodulation distortion is -

its amplitude modulation of two + frequencies in a non-linear system. What you experience is the creation of new frequencies at non-harmonic points, usually the sum and difference of the two (or more) original frequencies and these sound out as unwanted audible interference, and because the interference is non-harmonic it sounds unmusical.

An additional consequence of intermodulation is that there will be a net increase in the total energy of the audio signal and that can force the system to overload and go in to clipping. A relevant form is intermodulation that results from very fast transients in an audio signal - say several successive hits on a cymbal where the signal peak is close to but not quite at full scale. These transients can combine via intermodulation to take the signal peak over 0 and so clip despite the Daw never registering the clipping - most daw meters just aren't fast enough nor set up to follow transient intermodulation. If you listen to a lot of House and Techno tracks which are beat driven you can often hear this occurring btw: usually its where the project and home (and to a lesser extent professional) mixers run a compressor or limiter on the drums to get more punch and volume.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 25 2010, 06:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 25 2010, 05:27 PM) *
woot! thanks Staffy. And I stink at the string tapping stuff. I don't know why they invented it in the first place, but I guess I need to learn it to be cool. cool.gif

Nah, it has already been done in and out for the past 30 years since EVH first did it, back then it was cool the way he did it. Personally I never found any practical use for it, since I cant do it in a musical way and I refuse to spend a vast amount of time to learn it anyway. I rather spend that time on developing other musical ideas instead.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2010, 07:39 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey man, congrats on producing your first video! I have watched and the quality is really nice.... Its a clear shot with good frame rate + audio sounds great!

Now that you edited and shot this one, you won't have many problems in the future as its pretty easy to do once you get used to it! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 26 2010, 07:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 26 2010, 11:39 AM) *
Hey man, congrats on producing your first video! I have watched and the quality is really nice.... Its a clear shot with good frame rate + audio sounds great!

Now that you edited and shot this one, you won't have many problems in the future as its pretty easy to do once you get used to it! smile.gif

Getting used to it! Yes, something I need to do is practice recording more. I spend most of my time practicing playing, and not enough time recording. I need to even out my priorities a little more if I'm going to achieve my goal of recording a keep-sake record. I also hope to document in a documentary fashion the process of recording an album over the course of however long it takes me.

Thanks!
Christian A.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 12 2010, 04:13 PM
Instructor
video takes a while to adjust properly,

It's a constant learning process

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:42 PM