Is My Guitar Broken?, it keeps working then not working again
Kevin98497
Oct 22 2007, 12:28 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, i dont kkow whats wrong with my guitar. It keeps stop workin (no sound comes out of it when i am halfway playing) I have to tap on the top of the volume knob with my finger (like finger tapping) and after a fewtimes it works again. i dont know whats wrong with it. I know its got something to do with the electric parts (derr! mellow.gif ) but i dont know what exactly is wrong and how to fix it.
HEELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 22 2007, 12:33 AM
Instructor
did you check the cable? maybe it's broken..

If it's not the cable the poti could be broken... Myybe you should go to your local guitarshop and let them check your guitar and if the poti is damaged they will put in a new one i think. I never had problems with my potis, but i think they are not so expensive.

Fabian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2007, 12:33 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Might not be the guitar Kevin - could be the jack lead. Try a new jack first.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 22 2007, 12:36 AM
Learning Roadie
If you can, try taking the knob off and using some electronics cleaner on the pots. Sometimes a dirty pot can really mess up a guitar or an amp.

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 22 2007, 12:36 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 22 2007, 01:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So tapping the volume knob helps?

Do what was suggested.

1) Try with a different cord
2) Check the soldering of the input jack
3) Check the soldering of the volume pot (and tone for that matter while you're at it)

Resolder if you have to

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 22 2007, 01:31 AM
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 22 2007, 12:33 AM) *
did you check the cable? maybe it's broken..
If it's not the cable the poti could be broken... Myybe you should go to your local guitarshop and let them check your guitar and if the poti is damaged they will put in a new one i think. I never had problems with my potis, but i think they are not so expensive.

QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 22 2007, 12:36 AM) *
If you can, try taking the knob off and using some electronics cleaner on the pots. Sometimes a dirty pot can really mess up a guitar or an amp.

I have tried new leads, and i am pretty sure the jack isnt broken coz i checked al the soldlering etc on it and i dont really wanna swap it
Is a electronic cleaner like a compressed air can? do i just spray it on the metal bits after i take the knob off?
and whats a poti?
thanks for the helps guys
kevin

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 22 2007, 01:38 AM
Instructor
ah sorry i used the german word poti what stands for potentiometer. It's the german word for the knob wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 22 2007, 01:42 AM
Yeah, everyone could be right it could be a number of things, i'd get your guitar checked by a professional and if it's not that then try another cable or get your amp checked.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 22 2007, 02:15 AM
ok i shall take my guitar to some shop i trust. coz there are 2 local music shops, and they are all that kinda trying to replace my good things that aint broken for new cheaper things for high price kinda shop. not very nice people!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 22 2007, 02:35 AM
Yeah, thats not good dry.gif , go to a place you trust good idea. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Oct 22 2007, 06:15 AM
this was happening to me a few days ago. i unscrewed the input jack and lo behold, the soldering was broken. resoldered and had the guitar working great again in 5 minutes smile.gif

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 23 2007, 04:55 AM
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Oct 22 2007, 06:15 AM) *
this was happening to me a few days ago. i unscrewed the input jack and lo behold, the soldering was broken. resoldered and had the guitar working great again in 5 minutes smile.gif

just checked, but no it is not broken, dont know when i will catch time to bring it to a nice guitar shop with nice ppople though... any other suggestions bout things i can check on my own?
thanks for help peeps

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Oct 23 2007, 05:02 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 23 2007, 06:49 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 23 2007, 05:55 AM) *
other suggestions bout things i can check on my own?
thanks for help peeps

Did you check the volume pot solder?

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 23 2007, 11:48 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 23 2007, 06:49 AM) *
Did you check the volume pot solder?

yep, and the tone knob and the switch solder... nothing that came loose/off when i pulled on it lightly. i am guessing is it the probably the actual knob that is broken? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 23 2007, 11:52 PM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 24 2007, 12:48 AM) *
yep, and the tone knob and the switch solder... nothing that came loose/off when i pulled on it lightly. i am guessing is it the probably the actual knob that is broken? unsure.gif

The pot is the "knob" so to speak. The knob itself is just a piece of dead matter.

Maybe you can record the noice you get, to an mp3, and expound the description of the fault a little further?

I'm guessing it's just a piece of spit problem that you don't wanna spend a fortune getting fixed in a repair shop.

EDIT: And which of the guitars is it? Your sig says you got more than one.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 23 2007, 11:56 PM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 23 2007, 11:57 PM
call me an idiot, but i been looking in the wrong place. i realised that there are 2 ways to get sound back when it dies, 1.Hit the volume knob 2 REALLY STRUM LOUDLY! what the hell! i am real confused now!! laugh.gif ?

and wait, it happens mostly when i flick my pickup switch. is there some wierd mechanism that fender has put in my guitar so the pickups only switch on when above a certain loudness hits it? wierd!! lol
thanks guys helping anyway, keep it commin! gmcers are the best

oh wait it is fully functioning now... what the....... damn karma lol

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Oct 24 2007, 12:12 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 23 2007, 11:59 PM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Oct 24 2007, 12:57 AM) *
sorry yeah i meant pot, knob is metal and removable. i will record myself and hope the problem happens during play. i m still not sure how to activate the fault, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. sometimes it happens when i flick my switch sometimes when i change volume or tone. but sometimes not at all, we will see... i will record and put it somewhere here asap i guess got nothing to do anyway lol

And surely when you try to show someone something it will never occur so I guess your guitar is fixed now laugh.gif

Hey, if it's the one with the kill switch you may want to check that switch aswell. Both at the switch end and at the other end.

EDIT. laugh.gif I'm spelling like the policeman in "Allo Allo" is speaking - your guitar is foxed now
Corrected that typo above

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 24 2007, 12:00 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 24 2007, 12:17 AM
lol
nooo i would never drill a hole in a fender and put a killswitch in it unlesss im rich.....
anyway as i have edited my post a few billion more times this is what i said a few seconds after u said what u said

"call me an idiot, but i been looking in the wrong place. i realised that there are 2 ways to get sound back when it dies, 1.Hit the volume knob 2 REALLY STRUM LOUDLY! what the hell! i am real confused now!! laugh.gif ?

and wait, it happens mostly when i flick my pickup switch. is there some wierd mechanism that fender has put in my guitar so the pickups only switch on when above a certain loudness hits it? wierd!! lol
thanks guys helping anyway, keep it commin! gmcers are the best

oh wait it is fully functioning now... what the....... damn karma lol"

and heres the audio file. it broke again just now and i manage to capture it. the first time i fixed it with a hard strum and the second time with a hard tapping on the volume knob.......

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Oct 24 2007, 12:29 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 24 2007, 01:05 AM
So I guess it's not only tapping of volume knob or strumming real hard will do it, perhaps shaking the guitar or pounding the body will do it aswell?

If you have a potentiometer you could read wether there's contact in the different switching positions (some electronics guru could tell you what they should read, I can't)

I'm leaning towards something in the electronics and that strumming hard etc to get it working is just random. Perhaps you should test to see if it comes alive from the shaking and pounding stuff aswell? (you don't have to use a bat or hammer lol)

Then I'd open it up.
See if any wires inside are twisted, bent hard or got "squeeze" marks so that they could be broken inside.
Check all soldering
If you got a potentiomerer, measure the pots and you could measure the wires aswell to find if ther are broken.
If nothing is broken broken behind the hatch. Lastly, remove the strings and pull the pu's out. BUT! This should not be neccessary unless it's just always one of them that's active when this is caused. ...let me rephrase that. ONLY remove strings and a pickup if it's always the same one causing problems. Check it's wires.

Wish we could have a look at it "live" so to say, would be a lot easier. We'd crack it for sure. The problem that is. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 26 2007, 08:48 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 24 2007, 01:05 AM) *
So I guess it's not only tapping of volume knob or strumming real hard will do it, perhaps shaking the guitar or pounding the body will do it aswell?
If you have a potentiometer you could read wether there's contact in the different switching positions (some electronics guru could tell you what they should read, I can't)
I'm leaning towards something in the electronics and that strumming hard etc to get it working is just random. Perhaps you should test to see if it comes alive from the shaking and pounding stuff aswell? (you don't have to use a bat or hammer lol)
Then I'd open it up.
See if any wires inside are twisted, bent hard or got "squeeze" marks so that they could be broken inside.
Check all soldering
If you got a potentiomerer, measure the pots and you could measure the wires aswell to find if ther are broken.
If nothing is broken broken behind the hatch. Lastly, remove the strings and pull the pu's out. BUT! This should not be neccessary unless it's just always one of them that's active when this is caused. ...let me rephrase that. ONLY remove strings and a pickup if it's always the same one causing problems. Check it's wires.
Wish we could have a look at it "live" so to say, would be a lot easier. We'd crack it for sure. The problem that is. cool.gif

indeed we would....well you would lol i would just sit there staring in confusion
now that you said that wire thing, most of the wires inside the back of the guitar (a small spaced pot with all the electronic parts in) are bent and wrapped up with one of those bands that only go one way and u have to cut it to get it off. would that be a serious problem? but it says INSPECTED BY some dude on the cover to the back pot, so shouldnt everything in there look fine? anyway i will post picture and it can be mroe live. thanks again

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:59 PM