2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Warrior Bushido Task 37
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 10:35 AM
Instructor
Guess what you're doing this week !! That's right, I couldn't resist it.... wink.gif

Task 37: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Adrian-Smith-Style/

It's got a few things going on. The clean intro that uses pick and middle finger (basically chicken pickin' but less choppy) can be a bit tricky to keep the same type of volume on each note.

The solo itself is quite straight forward. Those descending bluesy slides that end on the 5th fret, bottom E string can be fiddly but try to get them in clearly so you get the effect of the slides.

The harmony part is the nice, easy bit ! smile.gif

I really look forward to hearing your versions of this - Enjoy !

Deadline is next Friday 19th October

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 12 2012, 03:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yo I got this!!

This will be my first level 6 completion. Very cool. I've pretty much already learned it, just need to clean it up. I should have a recording up today or tomorrow, although that may not be enough time to beat Degroot! tongue.gif

By the way, the beginning is by far the toughest. If I used my pick for both notes it would probably be the easiest. Damn you Ben. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 04:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Oct 12 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Damn you Ben. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Just another day at the office biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 12 2012, 04:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 12 2012, 07:44 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I learned this today.... and its probably somewhat obvious. biggrin.gif Hopefully I still did it justice.

Been listening to Maiden since I've been 10 and I'm now in my mid-30's and still love 'em.

Sorry to steal your thunder man... I just couldn't resist this one for my (10th) donut. Look forward to hearing you take Greg. Its been too long since the Warrior thread has had two takes from us students. smile.gif

This would also mark my 20th REC take. It seems fitting for it to be Adrian Smith. Though I think i may do another take since half my guitar is missing. rolleyes.gif I'm sure you'll spot some things that need correcting too so I can go for 10's hopefully.

Thanks
DG

Oh, I should also mention that I recorded the clean and heavy separately. It was too much of a transistion from switching channels and pickup at same time. Also, the hardest part for me was the harmony as far as timing up your playing. STill is a little shaky but it was the best one so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 12 2012, 07:44 PM) *
I learned this today.... and its probably somewhat obvious. biggrin.gif Hopefully I still did it justice.

Been listening to Maiden since I've been 10 and I'm now in my mid-30's and still love 'em.

Sorry to steal your thunder man... I just couldn't resist this one for my (10th) donut. Look forward to hearing you take Greg. Its been too long since the Warrior thread has had two takes from us students. smile.gif

This would also mark my 20th REC take. It seems fitting for it to be Adrian Smith. Though I think i may do another take since half my guitar is missing. rolleyes.gif I'm sure you'll spot some things that need correcting too so I can go for 10's hopefully.

Thanks
DG

Oh, I should also mention that I recorded the clean and heavy separately. It was too much of a transistion from switching channels and pickup at same time. Also, the hardest part for me was the harmony as far as timing up your playing. STill is a little shaky but it was the best one so far.

This is what DG Said to himself before earning the title of Donut King !!

Great stuff DG. I'd encourage you to try to get the timing of the phrases as close as you can to the lesson as it changes the feel of the phrases quite a bit in places but that's my only criticism smile.gif

For the harmonies I'm taking a guess that those crash cymbals could be throwing you off because they occur before the end of the bar/ start of the next bar. In truth I probably should have placed them so they fell at the same time as the guitar note does but I forgot to change them from the loop that they were on from the previous riffing.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 12 2012, 08:47 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 12 2012, 07:11 PM) *
This is what DG Said to himself before earning the title of Donut King !!

Great stuff DG. I'd encourage you to try to get the timing of the phrases as close as you can to the lesson as it changes the feel of the phrases quite a bit in places but that's my only criticism smile.gif

For the harmonies I'm taking a guess that those crash cymbals could be throwing you off because they occur before the end of the bar/ start of the next bar. In truth I probably should have placed them so they fell at the same time as the guitar note does but I forgot to change them from the loop that they were on from the previous riffing.

Woohoo!

laugh.gif I need to see that movie again.

Ah, I didn't even really think about the cymbals. I was so focused in on trying to follow the guitar playing. Maybe the cymbals were subconsciously throwing me off? I will definitely work on those phrases some more. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 13 2012, 01:05 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice Degroot! No thunder stolen man, big congrats on the title. biggrin.gif

I'll definitely have mine up shortly. Just happy to be able to get one down again and hopefully I can keep you company more often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Oct 13 2012, 08:30 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Congrats DeGroot for the Donut King title smile.gif I am curious to see what lesson you are going to pick. Hope not too difficult ohmy.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 13 2012, 10:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 13 2012, 08:30 AM) *
Congrats DeGroot for the Donut King title smile.gif I am curious to see what lesson you are going to pick. Hope not too difficult ohmy.gif smile.gif

We're all trembling in fear.... ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 13 2012, 04:17 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 13 2012, 09:37 AM) *
We're all trembling in fear.... ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif

Be very afraid... oh wait, I'll have to play it too. dry.gif

So many choices though.. I feel like a kid in a candy store. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (gregc1 @ Oct 13 2012, 12:05 AM) *
Very nice Degroot! No thunder stolen man, big congrats on the title. biggrin.gif

I'll definitely have mine up shortly. Just happy to be able to get one down again and hopefully I can keep you company more often.

Awesome, thanks man. smile.gif

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Oct 13 2012, 07:30 AM) *

Thanks O smile.gif

Have your axes ready ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 14 2012, 08:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
All right guys, here's my go at this task. Extremely challenging for me to get a totally clean take on this. My mindset was "just make it to the harmonies" even though it was challenging to sit right down in with that section as well timing wise. Also the tremolo picking was pushing my speed barriers so I'm sure it could have been better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 15 2012, 12:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Oct 14 2012, 08:40 PM) *
All right guys, here's my go at this task. Extremely challenging for me to get a totally clean take on this. My mindset was "just make it to the harmonies" even though it was challenging to sit right down in with that section as well timing wise. Also the tremolo picking was pushing my speed barriers so I'm sure it could have been better.

Nice one, Greg.. the timing was pretty good smile.gif

The clean intro is quite difficult with those funny hi-hat counts.. it's quite surprising how fast it zips by really. One thing I noticed was both you and DG played that blues bend sequence so it falls a bit late.. there's nothing actually wrong with that of course, maybe you guys prefer it that way biggrin.gif

I like how you separated those notes that climb up at the end too, after the fast picking. That's the kind of sound you need to get for an Adrian Smith feel.

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 15 2012, 02:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Ben.

On that late part, is that the section shortly after it kicks in you're talking about where you bend up high a couple times then slide sown to the 7-5 fret? I just watched it back.. and I am playing behind! I even saw your previous comments to Degroot and took note, and still played it wrong. ohmy.gif

*slaps forehead

Apparently my subconscious was making decisions for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 15 2012, 03:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Oct 15 2012, 02:56 PM) *
Thanks Ben.

On that late part, is that the section shortly after it kicks in you're talking about where you bend up high a couple times then slide sown to the 7-5 fret? I just watched it back.. and I am playing behind! I even saw your previous comments to Degroot and took note, and still played it wrong. ohmy.gif

*slaps forehead

Apparently my subconscious was making decisions for me.

Yes that's the bit.. haha, nevermind... nobody died !! biggrin.gif

Apart from those unicorns who's lives depended on it... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
BTrian
Oct 18 2012, 10:51 PM
Learning Roadie
started this thing yesterday (got sick on saturday or sth, so not much guitar stuff going on this week <.<, and the apprentice task didn't feel that appealing).
might do a clean take for Rec on this later but this is how far I've got

first vid take of that thing, was able to get rid of some of the sloppy parts after, but my general timing just got worse with any take after, so guess that just needs more time

mainly struggling on that bluesy lick thing... really got to work on my bends.
Like DeGroot said, the transition to the distorted part is quite of a challenge, too if you're not used to fast switching multiple stuff at the same time. I also quite failed on this due to my midi board => software connection being quite laggy sometimes.
I also spent like half an hour searching for the tip of my pickup blade switch (for some reason quite loose, if I hit the switch too hard it just flies away, gotta fix that dry.gif )

might cause the death of some unicorns aswell.

This post has been edited by BTrian: Oct 18 2012, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 19 2012, 09:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Oct 18 2012, 10:51 PM) *
started this thing yesterday (got sick on saturday or sth, so not much guitar stuff going on this week <.<, and the apprentice task didn't feel that appealing).
might do a clean take for Rec on this later but this is how far I've got

first vid take of that thing, was able to get rid of some of the sloppy parts after, but my general timing just got worse with any take after, so guess that just needs more time

mainly struggling on that bluesy lick thing... really got to work on my bends.
Like DeGroot said, the transition to the distorted part is quite of a challenge, too if you're not used to fast switching multiple stuff at the same time. I also quite failed on this due to my midi board => software connection being quite laggy sometimes.
I also spent like half an hour searching for the tip of my pickup blade switch (for some reason quite loose, if I hit the switch too hard it just flies away, gotta fix that dry.gif )

might cause the death of some unicorns aswell.

Adrian plays Adrian ! cool.gif

I enjoyed this man, not as bad as you said it was ! Timing was generally very good. The only things that were lacking a bit were a controlled vibrato and the guitar sounded a little out of tune in places.

I noticed that you use your isolated fingers for vibrato and bending etc.. try using the unused fingers to add strength. For example, if you're using your 3rd finger to play something, then put your 1st and 2nd fingers on the string in front of your 3rd finger to give extra stability. If you watch all of my Vibrato Odyssey videos you'll see exactly what I mean smile.gif

Well done !!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 19 2012, 05:46 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Oh yes! I think we were successful enough in our takes that they even spared the unicorns... for now. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 19 2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 19 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Oh yes! I think we were successful enough in our takes that they even spared the unicorns... for now. ohmy.gif

But it's not just the unicorns at stake. A fairy dies every time you do bad vibrato so we've got to be careful on our next Task ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
BTrian
Oct 19 2012, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 19 2012, 05:24 PM) *
But it's not just the unicorns at stake. A fairy dies every time you do bad vibrato so we've got to be careful on our next Task ! wink.gif

personally got no problem with dead fairies, but I know who's got the finger on the button for the next tasks here and his need for physical integrity of such things as gay ponies, unicorns and fairies, so I'll do my best ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:14 PM