4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Are We Self Taught?
FretDancer69
Nov 19 2007, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 19 2007, 11:15 AM) *
That hamster in your brain of course! He pedals a little harder for a minute then an idea pops out! He must have been knackered after the tshirt competition ...

lmao laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 19 2007, 09:40 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 19 2007, 08:38 PM) *
lmao laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey dont laugh at my hamster mad.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2007, 10:28 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah, that hamster is truly a "Genious" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 19 2007, 11:00 PM
Lets go fishing!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Hahahahaaaaaaa what a sweet hamster!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 19 2007, 11:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Is that the actual literal hamster in question ???

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 19 2007, 11:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 19 2007, 10:03 PM) *
Is that the actual literal hamster in question ???

Possibly unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 19 2007, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Nice hamster Matt,get him shreducated as well!!!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 20 2007, 01:47 AM

actually this it, armed and ready wink.gif

laugh.gif

I just realized hes holding the beam rifle from gundam

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 20 2007, 01:48 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 20 2007, 03:13 AM
Moderation Policy Director
You mean armed and shready cool.gif

Really cute pic biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Nov 20 2007, 03:14 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor
laugh.gif cool hamster!

Regarding the topic... I think I am self taught in general as i make up my own practise system and workouts. BUT I looked some great video lessons on the internet, learned some great licks from older musicians, listened some great music and picked up a lot of phrases... So the influence I had durign my own practising is big. Man is social being and is influenced with a world around him. So when i say i am self thought i generally say it in terms of "not went to music school".

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Nov 21 2007, 01:01 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 21 2007, 02:08 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Nov 21 2007, 11:59 AM) *
laugh.gif cool hamster!
Regarding the topic... I think I am self taught in general as i make up my own practise system and workouts. BUT I looked some great video lessons on the internet, learned some great licks from older musicians, listened some great music and picked up a lot of phrases... So the influence I had durign my own practising is big. Man is social being and is influenced with a world around him. So when i say i am self thought i generally say it in terms of "not went to music school".

I think this is probably one of the best answers to the original question, and probably sums up "self taught" as being someone that has "taught themselves" with the use of books, vids etc.
I understand why some may say this is technically not "self taught" as you`ve used other peoples influences, literature, but as you said there, you set your own practising systems without the aid of teachers in a music school or one on one tuition.
You cannot read a book and instantly be able to play what is written you have to "teach yourself", surely that is "self taught"? someone made a comment earlier in the post that this can be said of one on one tuition, which yes is true, but that instructor in front of you can show you and instruct you on the spot how to phrase the note etc, there is a huge difference doing it alone.

I think with reference to GMC I now have that tuition, I am able to interact with the instructors and they can advise etc, so now for me personally I can say that up till now "I am largely self taught but now recieving some tuition from GMC" smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 21 2007, 02:11 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Nov 21 2007, 02:18 PM
my hamster isn't so smart sad.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 21 2007, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Nov 21 2007, 01:18 PM) *

eeek!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 21 2007, 02:23 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Nov 21 2007, 01:18 PM) *

mines a big, rather deformed hamsters so it goes more like this for me...

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Nov 21 2007, 02:28 PM
crap. don't know how to quote. But the post above me, that things kinda cute! exept for the thing hanging out his mouth. whatever it is. huh.gif

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 21 2007, 02:41 PM
Click the quote button at the bottom of the post you wish to quote, it should turn red, the click on "Add Reply", it doesnt work with fast reply though wink.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 21 2007, 03:26 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Nov 21 2007, 01:28 PM) *
crap. don't know how to quote. But the post above me, that things kinda cute! exept for the thing hanging out his mouth. whatever it is. huh.gif

hes my snake eating hamster, i keep him in the cellar and starve him untill we're ready to hunt.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 21 2007, 05:49 PM
That sounds lovely, hopefully he doesnt turn on the master! ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 21 2007, 05:49 PM

+Quote Post
seagull
Nov 22 2007, 03:07 PM
I don't really care if I'm self taught or not, because the only thing that counts is that you develop some skills, and eventually turn out a sweet guitar-player regardless of the extent of tuition.
I was teaching it to myself for 2 years before I signed up here. I got some advice now and then from friends, but I'm sure I got used to playing some things the wrong ways, and therefore I occasionally struggle with some small but very bothering bad habits. I think one should care less about how one's learned playing guitar, because you can recieve all the tuition in the world and still suck badly, it doesn't come by itself, you DO have to struggle to achieve.

"Practice 'till you kill yourself!" - John Petrucci

This post has been edited by seagull: Nov 22 2007, 03:09 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:43 AM