Audition For Calarts Music Program?
Roythebattousai
Nov 10 2009, 02:03 PM
GMC:er
I'm moving to LA after I get out of high school, pretty much no matter what. I have a house out there, and all is grand.

My aunt just showed me this school, http://calarts.edu/ And I'm thinking I want to apply there, perhaps go into their music technology program.

But... here's the scary thing...

They don't look at students for their grades... only their artistic abilities. So... I have to audition.

Now, I've been playing guitar for five or six years, but... I don't have too much experience being judged critically for my artistic merit. It's a little frightening.

Now, I've only just started looking into it... but It's a definite thing. I am going to apply there. So I was wondering if... you know... anyone could help me out a bit. Tell me what I need to do to not make a fool of myself at the audition, and perhaps... some things I should know before applying?

I'd appreciate any help... I feel a little... hopeless. :\

Thanks,

-Scott

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
♫♫♫ Gotta love music. ♫♫♫
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 10 2009, 05:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Do they have some terms or FAQ on how audition process looks like. What they expect from you to perform etc?
General advice would be to be yourself and don't worry much. You have got plenty of experience playing guitar. Prepare a song (or what ever they require) for audition. Advice would be to play something that you are really comfortable with, don't try to push yourself and perform a piece that is near the limit of your ability. Its always better to perform clean and comfortable no matter how hard or easy piece it is then advanced and flashy but possibly sloppy. I don't think they expect miracles from you on the audition, they just want to meet you, talk to you and see your CURRENT skill level. They will teach you then advanced stuff etc if basics are there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 10 2009, 06:01 PM
have you thought of trying for GIT? (guitar institute) its located in hollywood, and is the west coast version of berklee school of music. i hear a lot of great things from there, and a lot of famous artists came from there as well

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 10 2009, 11:27 PM
Instructor
Being and artist is not something frightening. In fact music is an art, and you have been playing guitar and into music for 6 years. So guess what - you ARE an artist, and have been one for all this time. Just be yourself and not to worry, express yourself in the best way you can. If for some reason things don't work out there, you don't have to thing it's the end of the world. Possibly even better oportunity will arise. Try to always have a decent plan B at hand.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 11 2009, 05:18 AM
Try to think that if this is what you want to do to the rest of your life, you don't have to be afraid or nervous. Just relax and enjoy playing in front of whoever is in the room. If you work enough and you're in the right way, you'll past the audition

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:49 PM