Slider
FretDancer69
Jun 13 2007, 08:30 AM
GMC:er
Ive seen this thing called a Slider. Its like a metal tube that you put inside your pinky, and slide it in the strings. Ive seen Kirk Hammet using it at the end of this For Whom The Bell Tolls performance. He plays a Requiem with the slider, and it sounds great. biggrin.gif

I have no idea how to use it and thats basically why i created this topic. Id like to know of someone owns a Slider, or knows how to play it and make cool tricks. smile.gif

Also ive heard of Slide Guitars, and i was wondering if Sliders are only good with these Slide Guitars or with any guitar in particular. unsure.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jun 13 2007, 02:30 AM) *
Ive seen this thing called a Slider. Its like a metal tube that you put inside your pinky, and slide it in the strings. Ive seen Kirk Hammet using it at the end of this For Whom The Bell Tolls performance. He plays a Requiem with the slider, and it sounds great. biggrin.gif

I have no idea how to use it and thats basically why i created this topic. Id like to know of someone owns a Slider, or knows how to play it and make cool tricks. smile.gif

Also ive heard of Slide Guitars, and i was wondering if Sliders are only good with these Slide Guitars or with any guitar in particular. unsure.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

are you talking about a slide? you can play any guitar with a slide. there are pedal steel guitars, generally used in country music where you have to use a bar slide on them, and people often set up dobros with the strings elevated for slide, but you can play any guitar with a slide. a lot of southern bands such as Allman Brothers used them extensively. Lynyrd Skynyrd in the sweet solo part of Free Bird is an example.

Here is Skynyrd before they got killed in the plane crash. The guitarist is playing slide on a Gibson SG in the first part of the song. This is an old video, not sure they had even become commercially successful at that point. I don't remember Van Zandt ever looking that clean cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHxXAoGz80

Often they use open turnings. Can be glass or metal. Old bluesmen would break the neck off of a wine bottle and use that. Here is a guy who played 12 string acoustic with slide quite a bit, saw him once, great. Very nice example of acoustic slide in middle of that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXiReAlRcx8

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2007, 10:39 AM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 13 2007, 08:19 PM
umm i see now. So its a Slide, not a Slider. But why are some guitars called Slide Guitars if the Slide can be used with any guitar in particular?
thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jun 15 2007, 12:16 AM
For the same reasons there are "shred guitars". It's sort of a generic name for the style. You can shred on any guitar, but certain setups work better than others (low action, then neck, etc...).

The same thing is true with "Slide guitars". You can slide on any guitar, but some setups work better than others. My slide guitar is an SG with VERY high action. About a 1/2 inch at the 12th fret. Putting heavy strings on will always help with the sustain, too.

Also, alternate tunings like open E or G are used often. I like hardtails for slide guitars because I'm always changing the tunings.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 15 2007, 01:46 AM
Learning Roadie
If you want to hear some really cool slide, check out Derek Trucks, George Harrison also did a lot of cool slide stuff.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jun 15 2007, 08:05 AM
Aah. A reason to link Dave Lindley again smile.gif
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wbBnLe5-Y7w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UXeqblkA6Y0

And Ry Cooder:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iw7gRASUD4g
http://youtube.com/watch?v=okmCqEko2qM&...ted&search=

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 15 2007, 06:46 PM
ok, thanks alot guys, ill definately check those out

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:02 PM