2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Open String Scale!, Quick Licks #11 (Open String Scale Work)
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2018, 05:21 AM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #11 (Open String Scale Work)

INTRO:

This time we are going to do a chunk from my recent collaboration with our own CAEL (Ben). Using a backing that may already be familiar to you if you have searched youtube for backing tracks. It's got a very retro 80's Vibe with heavy synth and it's wads of fun to Solo over. It's in the key of E Minor so we are going to use a minor pattern on the open B string as B is a Fifth in E Minor.

Here is the tablature. You can pick this any way that you like. Try to pick each note and palm mute all the strings including the one we are working on in order to give the lick a percussive vibe. You can play this lick very slowly with the the backing and it will still sound cool. You don't have to shred it.

Attached Image

Attached File  11.gp5 ( 1.77K ) Number of downloads: 101

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This is one of my fave licks. It works well with nearly anything. It's also a great drill for working up precision/speed with a metronome. In addition, try this lick on other strings when you run it as a drill.

*Here is the Backing Track for you to download
Attached File  11backing.mp3 ( 7.62MB ) Number of downloads: 122

BTW:
This is just a starting point, feel free to add your own flourish during your vid. Add any techniques you lick on top of this to make it your own !

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 21 2018, 05:21 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 21 2018, 08:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my take ! single and multi picking

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2018, 10:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Todd,

Here is my take, I did a couple of loops and noticed on playback that I got the sequence wrong in the second one but the notes are there, also after the first two loops, I had a bit of a play and left that on the video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8pv_rk8nw

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2018, 11:39 PM
NICE!! Single and Multi! I should have know you would be first to fight! It's all there, technique, precision, control. I've been very proud to watch as you grew as a player. I hope you can take this lick and make it part of your bag of tricks! It makes a very handy drill and makes a very handy lick! You jumped in an killed it so in other words you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 21 2018, 03:27 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take ! single and multi picking

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2018, 01:25 AM
Nailed it right out of the Gate! Nicely done. You have a very good command of what this lick is all about. Try it on every open string on the instrument as a drill. Also, try it in a solo context as soon as possible so that you get used to playing it against a backing. The backing track provided is a good place to start, but any backing will work in E minor for this particular lick. In this case, the B string is a perfect Fifth of E Minor so even though we don't resolve to the root, it still works. This is one of the few licks we have ever done that does not resolve to the root. Give it a whirl!

As for this Quick Licks, you KRUSHED it! in other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2018, 05:04 PM) *
Here is my take, I did a couple of loops and noticed on playback that I got the sequence wrong in the second one but the notes are there, also after the first two loops, I had a bit of a play and left that on the video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8pv_rk8nw

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2018, 01:25 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks Todd,

I'll see if I can get a Soundcloud up this week.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2018, 12:16 AM
Looking forward to it!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 22 2018, 04:57 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'll see if I can get a Soundcloud up this week.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 23 2018, 09:35 PM
It's not fast or flash and I went too high up the neck and ran out of frets (Strat 21 frets) so had to play an Ab instead of an A because I panicked and didn't know what else to do laugh.gif I don't know why but it felt right to come in so that the fretted note was on the beat (if I'm analyzing it correctly)

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/open-string-scale-exercise

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2018, 10:28 PM
Nice!! You have a very good handle on this lick. I also like the improved bits you added on! This is exactly what I'm hoping you guys do with these licks. Learn them quick and then put them to good use in a solo context of some sort. They make great drills to for playing with a metronome or midi drums. Each one works on specific skills. You've got good muting and synch on this one. I wish I could see you playing but you already did a vid so audio is fine smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 23 2018, 04:35 PM) *
It's not fast or flash and I went too high up the neck and ran out of frets (Strat 21 frets) so had to play an Ab instead of an A because I panicked and didn't know what else to do laugh.gif I don't know why but it felt right to come in so that the fretted note was on the beat (if I'm analyzing it correctly)

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/open-string-scale-exercise

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2018, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2018, 09:21 AM
Thanks Todd but I can't level up. I've already levelled up with this one with my video post of just the lick, see higher up.

Glad you liked it.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2018, 07:24 PM
Gotcha smile.gif I'll level you back up on the next one! Well played!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2018, 04:21 AM) *
Thanks Todd but I can't level up. I've already levelled up with this one with my video post of just the lick, see higher up.

Glad you liked it.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 25 2018, 05:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2018, 09:32 PM
NAILED IT!!!!! Also with low gain!! Low gain on this makes the fingers work harder and shows any mistakes. The good news is that you didn't make any mistakes! you have a very good command of this lick. Try it on every string, try it in a solo context, try it as a drill and try multi picking it as well. There is quite a bit that can be gained from this one simple lick. This is just the starting point, also you can play it an octave up, and in any scale shape you lick. I just happen to be using a minor scale here. But don't let that limit you, you can do it in major, harmonic, anything!
You have this one down cold that's for sure. You just ..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 25 2018, 12:03 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 1 2018, 10:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Taking all the missing ones while at it smile.gif Small twist on the second time around.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 1 2018, 11:45 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2018, 04:28 AM
I had a feeling you'd crush this one and you did! I also like the mod you put on it. That's what i love to see, take in a lick and then put your own spin. on it. This lick works on every string and makes a great drill to run up and down every string as it requires very quick traverse. Also makes a great solo like so try it in context to see what you think. Very good articulation and sense of timing on this, in other words, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Could you do me a favor and put your current Quick Licks in your sig file to I can see where you are? Makes things much more simple smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 1 2018, 05:42 PM) *
Taking all the missing ones while at it smile.gif Small twist on the second time around.

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 21 2018, 10:18 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I did it on all the strings Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2018, 03:20 AM
BINGO! Not only does he play it on one string, he plays it on EVERY STRING! That's taking the initiative! Nicely played. Very even and smooth which is the entire point of something like this. Also, the open string strike gives your fingers a split second to find the next note. Once you have the pattern down, you can work up some crazy speed on this through repetition. Also, You can take any scale you want, and place the notes on a single string and play it using this method. It's a good workout to take Major/Minor/Harmonic Minor and map them out on a single string. Start on the E string for example and do E Harmonic Minor. You can use the scale generator here on GMC to find the notes. Keep this one handy in your bag of tricks. Makes a great warm up lick as well!

In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 21 2018, 05:18 PM) *
I did it on all the strings Sarge!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 9 2018, 12:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Lick 11

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2018, 07:25 PM
You've clearly got the ability to play this lick at any speed you want. Strong pull off and clean strikes! It sounds like you may be trying to play the lick by ear? you've nailed the vibe but your missing a few notes. Have a look at the tablature and You will Krush it in one pass!
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 9 2018, 07:02 AM) *
Lick 11

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 12:18 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:20 PM