2 Pages V   1 2 >  
9 String Ibby Next Month!
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2014, 09:56 PM
GMC:er
MY BAD!!! I thought this was a MUSIK MEESE VID!! sad.gif OLD NEWS !!!

It's official, for LOVERS and HATERS of ERG, the 9 STRING IBBY!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 17 2014, 09:57 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 17 2014, 11:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's cool and all but I almost feel like 9 strings is unnecessary. I love the deepness of an 8 string guitar but at times even the 8 string tends to lose its musicality to me. I can't even imagine a 9th strings adding anything beneficially other than a deeper bass note.

It'll be cool to actually see it in action though!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 17 2014, 11:53 PM
I saw them at NAMM in January.
Pretty cool in just how 'beastly' they are. It's a big guitar for sure.
Definitely not my thing but Ibanez' are always well designed ergonomically and some of the easiest guitars to play so I'm sure it all works with normal sized hands. There was a big line to play them at the show and I didn't have the time to wait.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2014, 12:25 AM
Your not alone smile.gif WADS of folks feel that way but WADS of folks said the exact same thing about 7 string and 8 string guitars. I get that we are talking about 9 stringers and not 7 or 8 which many folks are fine with, but just pointing out that the same sentiment is pervasive each time a string gets added and then seems to diminish over time smile.gif

Who will be the 9 string Tosin Abassi I wonder?

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 17 2014, 06:08 PM) *
It's cool and all but I almost feel like 9 strings is unnecessary. I love the deepness of an 8 string guitar but at times even the 8 string tends to lose its musicality to me. I can't even imagine a 9th strings adding anything beneficially other than a deeper bass note.

It'll be cool to actually see it in action though!

I'm guessing there will be a band who makes their bones on 9 stringers the way MESHUGGAH did with the 8. Looking forward o it smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 17 2014, 06:53 PM) *
I saw them at NAMM in January.
Pretty cool in just how 'beastly' they are. It's a big guitar for sure.
Definitely not my thing but Ibanez' are always well designed ergonomically and some of the easiest guitars to play so I'm sure it all works with normal sized hands. There was a big line to play them at the show and I didn't have the time to wait.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 18 2014, 01:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
my head hurts just lookin at it

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 18 2014, 01:35 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Your not alone smile.gif WADS of folks feel that way but WADS of folks said the exact same thing about 7 string and 8 string guitars. I get that we are talking about 9 stringers and not 7 or 8 which many folks are fine with, but just pointing out that the same sentiment is pervasive each time a string gets added and then seems to diminish over time smile.gif

Who will be the 9 string Tosin Abassi I wonder?

That's a good point Todd! I guess to me the sound of a guitar string can only become so much deeper than what it already is before it starts to just sound like mush. It'll be interesting to see for sure!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Mar 18 2014, 02:05 AM
In the hands of a select number of innovative players who can truly approach it almost as a new instrument separate from traditional guitar (like Tosin Abasi), it could be something great.

Sadly, in the hands of the rest of the 95% of players, it'll be a useless piece of shit biggrin.gif

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 18 2014, 02:28 AM
The 9 strings may be adopted by 'other' types/styles of players the same way the 6 string bass was. What I mean is ... a 5 string bass is still a bass guitar holding down the low end but once they went to 6 (and more) strings it became a different instrument. A solo instrument, an orchestration tool, a lead instrument, etc.
7 string guitars are still guitars (in fact plenty of jazz guitar players have been using them since the 50's). 8 string spawned a slightly new and different thing. 9 strings will probably inspire all kinds of new stuff.

*There are 10 string classical guitars ...

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 18 2014, 04:17 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 17 2014, 06:28 PM) *
The 9 strings may be adopted by 'other' types/styles of players the same way the 6 string bass was. What I mean is ... a 5 string bass is still a bass guitar holding down the low end but once they went to 6 (and more) strings it became a different instrument. A solo instrument, an orchestration tool, a lead instrument, etc.
7 string guitars are still guitars (in fact plenty of jazz guitar players have been using them since the 50's). 8 string spawned a slightly new and different thing. 9 strings will probably inspire all kinds of new stuff.

*There are 10 string classical guitars ...

Narciso Yepes also played a great transcription of Sonata by Mateo Albeniz.(Not the other Albeniz) He turned an otherwise boring piece into something exciting. It's quite amazing what he can do with that 10 string guitar. Sorry I couldn't find the piece on youtube. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2014, 04:56 AM
Sad but true smile.gif Get ready for a WAD of videos on youtube featuring less than inspired playing.
Still, as you mention, in the hands of a talent like TOSIN, I think we can expect some truly inspiring music wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Mar 17 2014, 09:05 PM) *
In the hands of a select number of innovative players who can truly approach it almost as a new instrument separate from traditional guitar (like Tosin Abasi), it could be something great.

Sadly, in the hands of the rest of the 95% of players, it'll be a useless piece of shit biggrin.gif

It will just sound like bass guitar on clean smile.gif With a bit of gain it will sound like a distorted bass. Hopefully a new crop of 9 string players will emerge to take music in exciting new directions smile.gif Hopefully!

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 17 2014, 08:35 PM) *
That's a good point Todd! I guess to me the sound of a guitar string can only become so much deeper than what it already is before it starts to just sound like mush. It'll be interesting to see for sure!

Well said smile.gif I was thinking along the same line. Every new twist on the instrument opens new areas of what's possible, just as it opens up wads of chances for very lame music, but the same is true of any music technology eh? This is a good example of the positive aspects of ERG in the vid. I do hope we see more like it smile.gif

QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 17 2014, 11:17 PM) *
isnt
Narciso Yepes also played a great transcription of Sonata by Mateo Albeniz.(Not the other Albeniz) He turned an otherwise boring piece into something exciting. It's quite amazing what he can do with that 10 string guitar. Sorry I couldn't find the piece on youtube. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 18 2014, 02:08 PM
Instructor
What I find is a common issue for more than 6 string guitars is that some producers can't fit smooth design so the guitar is extended but not ugly. MAny of extended guitars looks weird because disproportion of neck to body ratio. This is just my humble opinion but that's how I see it. Anyway this would be great fun to play on one of those. But...it's only one step before the guitar and bass in one body so maybe we should go for "the betty" biggrin.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 18 2014, 08:21 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 18 2014, 08:08 AM) *
What I find is a common issue for more than 6 string guitars is that some producers can't fit smooth design so the guitar is extended but not ugly. MAny of extended guitars looks weird because disproportion of neck to body ratio. This is just my humble opinion but that's how I see it. Anyway this would be great fun to play on one of those. But...it's only one step before the guitar and bass in one body so maybe we should go for "the betty" biggrin.gif

Attached Image

That's something else I was thinking about. The body of the guitar is going to have to be massive for the neck to fit. A 6 string neck as to me far and away smaller than a 7 sting and the same goes for an 8 string. It'll be interesting to see that's for sure.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 18 2014, 08:30 PM
Instructor
Two truss rods !!!

Will be very interested to see how it sounds.

Btw, gotta dig that guys interesting accent.. what part of the USA is he from ? Mid West ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2014, 10:46 PM
Sounds like he's from the NORTHEAST maybe? Maryland/Maine? I know what you mean, all those "Northerners" talk funny!!!!
smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 18 2014, 03:30 PM) *
Two truss rods !!!

Will be very interested to see how it sounds.

Btw, gotta dig that guys interesting accent.. what part of the USA is he from ? Mid West ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2014, 09:49 AM
Instructor
A bit too much, I'd say, but as it was stated, it could bring a whole new level of sonic expression in the hands of an experienced player. That video with the classical guitar is living proof wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 19 2014, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Now luthiers will count twice the price for guitar setup biggrin.gif 2 truss rods, 9 saddles and 9 nut slots to tweak biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 19 2014, 03:48 PM
A lot of Rickenbackers have two truss rods so they can't use that excuse, wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 19 2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Ok. Idea lost tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 19 2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 18 2014, 09:46 PM) *
Sounds like he's from the NORTHEAST maybe? Maryland/Maine? I know what you mean, all those "Northerners" talk funny!!!!
smile.gif

Ah ok smile.gif

I tell you the weirdest accent I've ever heard... Newfoundland !

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Mar 19 2014, 06:11 PM
Tone Seeker
But one important question...

Does it Djent ?

Spoiler:
ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 PM