> Quick Licks #98 - Pick Skipping
Todd Simpson
post Sep 21 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

In this Quick Licks, we do some "Pick Skipping" We are going to strike the open E and the D string and try to Legato the rest. We are going to "Skip" picking most of the strings and use legato/hammer ons instead. Let's strike the Open E and the fretted D string.

Attached File  98.gp5 ( 2.05K ) Number of downloads: 8427

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Oct 13 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 14 2019, 03:49 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

I like your MOD on this one it's very cool! It's a sweep down instead of "pick skipping" though. The tricky bit about this one is that you are supposed to not pick the A string on the ascent just hammer it. don't pick the A on the Ascent and don't pick the fretted A or fretted E on the descent. Just hammer on those notes. The idea is to skip the pick strike on the fretted E and fretted A as you go up, and then skip the pick strike on the fretted A and fretted E as you go back down and Strike again on the open E to start the loop again. That's why it's called pick skipping as you are skipping the picking on a few notes and just hammering them. It's not easy. The brain wants to sweep it. That's what makes this lick tricky. It's trying to train your hand to use hammer ons to gain speed when instead of picking/sweeping each note. Notice how the first part is a bit laggy and then the second part when you move up is faster? I want you to try to make them both evenly played. As if there were a metronome. The downward part is the same speed in both positions. This is one of the hardest quick licks ever as it's taken from a bootcamp lick that is very similar. I'm confident you can play this one, just slow it down a pinch and fight the urge to sweep. I rarely ask for a do over but you are one of our better players and I think you can do this!
Once More!
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Oct 13 2019, 03:49 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 14 2019, 07:36 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Oct 15 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 15 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

BINGO!! That's what I"m looking for! The pick skip is something akin to the string skip except you hammer on instead of skipping the string entirely. It's awkward for the hand as it's not something the hand wants to naturally do. It usually wants to skip the entire string, or not. Takes very good control of the pick hand. This lick can be expanded to as many strings as you like. Well done here. This is a complex lick that we are going to work on for a few Quick Licks. You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
You remain the TOP DAWG!!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Oct 15 2019, 02:33 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 04:35 AM