Damping Strings, when playing w/ distortion
girard
May 4 2008, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
Ive recently been working on the neoclassical lessons by Marcus and Im making some really good progress but I cant seem to stop the distortion from ruining the sound. Ive been told I have to dampen the strings not being played to avoid the buzz and keep it clean but I have no idea how to do that, any insights would be appreciated....

Girard

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 4 2008, 10:04 PM
Instructor
if you mean you want to stop the distortion whats coming from strings you are not use it when you play.
i think your hands must be relax and away from the string what you are not playing on

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
seagull
May 4 2008, 10:09 PM
GMC:er
Well, basically it's about you having to develop a muting technique with you left hand. You should light (read: barely) touch the strings your not playing, so that it can't make any sound. Some of the strings, the ones furthest from the ones you are using, are sometimes easier to mute with your right hand palm.
Hope this helps. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2008, 10:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hello Girard,

I believe you are having problems muting the strings, right?

You have to try to mute the strings that you are not playing using the palm of your right hand, but you also have to use your left hand to help you mute better. For example, if you are fretting the A string you should try to mute the low E string with the tip of your index finger when playing a powerchord, etc.

I guess it comes with practice, practice and more practice, it's hard, I have problems muting correctly too.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 5 2008, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Fran is indeed right in his assessment.

Good habits of developing good left hand muting skills are invaluable to your playing. Especially later when you start learning harder and faster licks. Learning now to control the string noise will not be a problem later.

Another thing i will point out is watch how you fret a note make sure you clear the adjacent strings when you make a transistion from one fret to another. Its a matter of fine tuning the dexterity of your fretting hand. Its really a balancing act between right and left hands to acheive total note control. Work on both and just watch what it is your doing when you hear string noise. A slight adjustment in your technique will be necessary once you realize exactly what is causing the string noise in the first place.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2008, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Keeping it clean is not so difficult as it may seems, just practice everything in a way that you mute every string that is not supposed to be heard. This is achieved in a slower metronome tempos during practice, and then when you go up the tempo your fingers will automatically start to mute everything. When you see you have noise again stop, see where the noise is coming from and do it again with those strings muted either with your left or right hand.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 5 2008, 11:20 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Check Pavel's sweeping lesson, in the comments. There they wrote like a guide on how to mute in a right way, here's a link: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-basics-lesson/

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:53 PM