Greek Mythology Anyone ?
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor
There's a new programme starting tonight called Atlantis. It seems like Britain's cheaper, tamer answer to Game of Thrones but I'll still be watching it. rolleyes.gif

I've always been kind of an action thriller kind of guy but in recent months I've got really into Greek Mythology. I'm on the last book of David Gemell's Troy trilogy which has been amazing..

Anybody else into this kind of stuff and if so, have you got any recommendations of books / movies I should check out ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 28 2013, 11:01 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
never heard that show, might be cool to watch in the absence of game of thrones smile.gif
dude, have your read gates of fire? Its based around the battle of Thermopylae story. its a lot more historically accurate than 300. Its really good.
It is likely that you will grow a beard after reading it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 28 2013, 11:58 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
The two books "Ilium" and "Olympos" by Dan Simmons are awesome. They tell the Ilias by Homer in a Sci-Fi context. It sounds weird, but you might wanna give it a try if you can live with the Sci-Fi parts. Anyways, the books are real page-turners.

Other than that, nothing beats the original by Homer and the likes biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2013, 12:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 28 2013, 11:01 AM) *
dude, have your read gates of fire? Its based around the battle of Thermopylae story. its a lot more historically accurate than 300. Its really good.
It is likely that you will grow a beard after reading it.

Believe it or not, that is already on my wish list and is my next intended purchase ! I'm looking forward to it immensely ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 28 2013, 11:58 AM) *
The two books "Ilium" and "Olympos" by Dan Simmons are awesome. They tell the Ilias by Homer in a Sci-Fi context. It sounds weird, but you might wanna give it a try if you can live with the Sci-Fi parts. Anyways, the books are real page-turners.

Other than that, nothing beats the original by Homer and the likes biggrin.gif

Woah that sounds so unusual.. I'm not a sci fi fan at all, as you probably know but I'll have a look.

I found the Iliad really tough going ! I guess it can vary depending on which translation you read.. I'd like to tackle The Odyssey one day but I'll make sure I find the most recommend version first smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 28 2013, 12:26 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
You may want to check out the Christopher Logue's poem cycle (War Music, Kings, Husbands, All Day Permanent Red). They're a modern updating of some of the Iliad.

' Nine days of this,
And on the tenth, Ajax,
Grim underneath his tan as Rommel after ‘Alamein,
Summoned the army to the common sand. ... '

' As he fell back, back arched,
God blew the javelin straight; and thus
Mid-air, the cold bronze apex sank
Between his teeth and tongue, parted his brain,
Pressed on, and stapled him against the upturned hull
l'

(Both from All Day Permanent red)

' Then, having scanned their anxious faces with his own,
The guardian of our people outs the mace
As if it were a mop, and with its gold
Egg-ended butt, selects – before the owed -
A gently broken adolescent she
Who came – it seemed – from plain but prosperous ground.’

’First King, first fruit,’ his mother said.
’Will you hear more, or not?’ he said.
’Dear child -’
’Then do not interrupt.’

The stars look down.
Troy is a glow behind the dunes.
The camp is dark.'
(from 'War Music')

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 28 2013, 01:55 PM
Instructor
Looks fun enough to watch for me! And the main character looks a lot like a friend of my band's - he's an amazing drummer, by the way laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 28 2013, 02:46 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 28 2013, 01:03 PM) *
Woah that sounds so unusual.. I'm not a sci fi fan at all, as you probably know but I'll have a look.

I know, but it's pretty much the Iliad and the Odyssey (with a bit of a Sci-Fi story next to it). These were the two books that got me into Sci-Fi, I never read anything like it before. Dan Simmons is a great writer in general, so you really might wanna give it a try.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:55 PM