Friend Got A Mesa
Mertay
Nov 5 2016, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
A close friend of mine and I met at the music store yesterday to checkout some gear then hang out. My friend has been wanting a Mesa Mark V for a long time.

We had our chat and (again) my friend check out some new Mesa amps there. First time I had a quality time with a Rectifier, the distortion is awesome but as for the cleans and lighter breakup I can't say it very flexable. They had a mark V head with a 4x12 cab. , it sounded amazing when volume was higher but even in that big space it was just too loud.

We left, hang out then was returning to the car and just to say goodbye to the store sales guy who's our friend we entered again. The sales guy said just before we arrived many gear had a price decrease. My friend simply asked if he could get him to talk to the manager to see if he could decrease a Mark V combo's price, the manager was helpful (like %40!!!) and we got out of there with a Mesa combo!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/elect...five/index.html

First thing, its heavy! it comes with attachable wheels that makes moving around easy but still it was probably the most heavy combo I every carried smile.gif

Eack channel has a 10w mode, was perfect for home levels and sounded better to me than expected. The amp over has a lot of attack (in your face type sound) so the low wattage compression is really a no big deal compared to other amps I tried till now.

We also invited the store sales guy as the the store was closing, he was so nice setting the amp at my friends home and explaining the amp. We jammed, cooked food and chatted was a really fun friday night smile.gif

I played it a lot but the damn thing is so versatile still don't feel I totally got the hang of it (there is even a fan open/close switch behind it biggrin.gif ) but let me know if anyone would like to ask or want me to try, I'll probably visit my friend again in a week or two.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 5 2016, 08:03 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 08:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Would be great to see a video of it in action with you playing mate smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2016, 09:52 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 5 2016, 07:33 PM) *
Would be great to see a video of it in action with you playing mate smile.gif

We do have a plan to get an AB-Y box cause he didn't sell his Fender amp (hotrod deluxe 3 with a different speaker from factory) and atleast for now not intending to smile.gif

We also tried them side by side; The Fender was more mid rangey, sounded a bit deeper and its overdrive was classic feeling. The Mesa on the other hand was really forward sounding, kind of like listening through a plug-in amp but in a good way (maybe because its very new, tubes and speaker might need some breakup time). I'm expecting a cool blend and will definitly record some samples for you guys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 09:59 PM
AB-Y has to be THIS one, it's superb wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2016, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 5 2016, 08:59 PM) *
AB-Y has to be THIS one, it's superb wink.gif

Ah yeah good that you reminded me about that! I don't know if his credit card has enough limit for that though biggrin.gif but I'll definitly tell him your experience!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 5 2016, 10:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 5 2016, 10:31 PM
The Radial AB-Y is indeed superb. I use one all the time and they are super common on pedal boards, at live sound venues and in studios here. AB-Y, DI boxes, etc. are pretty un-sexy as gear goes but when necessary they are probably the most important part of the equation. As for the price of the Radial, you won't find a better one cheaper but you can find really crappy ones for less money. Also, you can find AB-Ys more expensive than the Radial, but they won't be any better.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 5 2016, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 11:48 PM
Yeah I agree Ken,
It ain't cheap but it's false economy to buy a cheaper one and not economic sense to buy a more expensive one!

wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 6 2016, 02:12 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I've spent time with a friend's mark v. The Mesa modes absolutely nail the originals. The flexibility is astounding. But yeah, I would dread the idea of hauling it to a gig.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 05:13 AM
Killer amp! smile.gif Very good acquisition!! Hold on to that one IMHO smile.gif They are a pinch heavy to tote around for sure!

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 5 2016, 04:52 PM) *
We do have a plan to get an AB-Y box cause he didn't sell his Fender amp (hotrod deluxe 3 with a different speaker from factory) and atleast for now not intending to smile.gif

We also tried them side by side; The Fender was more mid rangey, sounded a bit deeper and its overdrive was classic feeling. The Mesa on the other hand was really forward sounding, kind of like listening through a plug-in amp but in a good way (maybe because its very new, tubes and speaker might need some breakup time). I'm expecting a cool blend and will definitly record some samples for you guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 6 2016, 10:53 AM
Instructor
Great choice and great deal wink.gif I had an opportunity to play one of these a few times. Unfortunately never a full gig of my own - just some rehearsals. You're right - it's heavy as hell for a combo but it gives this specific Californian tone that became a part of rock and metal history...slightly different than DR but still similar spectrum wise smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mirba
Nov 7 2016, 03:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Totally not jealous or something. (Yes I am tongue.gif)
It's been my dream amp ever since I heard Petrucci getting some beautiful tones out of it. Unfortunately I think the prices of mesa boogie amps are ridiculous. (at least in Europe)

Enjoy your amp!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 7 2016, 09:04 PM
Updates,

So the fx loop didn't work laugh.gif went back to the store and lucky for my friend there was another one there but that one was on display. At first my friend said he wasn't happy, thought about waiting for a new one to be shipped but as they placed the 2 amps side by side the displayed one sounded much better to him (probably because it was broken in nicely) + its as good as new cause they simply don't let kids toy with such amps there smile.gif so all is ok now.

Radial unfortunatly wasn't sold there but he did get a boss LS-2, tried the pedal with 2 amps and said it sounded fine to him. I'm not sure if we can mic. the amps when I visit him again but worst case I'll record with the phone or room mic., not ideal but should give some idea how they sound together wink.gif

QUOTE (Mirba @ Nov 7 2016, 02:11 PM) *
Totally not jealous or something. (Yes I am tongue.gif)
It's been my dream amp ever since I heard Petrucci getting some beautiful tones out of it. Unfortunately I think the prices of mesa boogie amps are ridiculous. (at least in Europe)

Enjoy your amp!

Not my amp unfortunatly but I will be visiting my friend more frequently this year laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 7 2016, 09:20 PM
I would think the Boss will be fine but my problems only really happened when I hooked up everything else, Hotbird, Gt001, Gt100, etc wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 7 2016, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 7 2016, 08:20 PM) *
I would think the Boss will be fine but my problems only really happened when I hooked up everything else, Hotbird, Gt001, Gt100, etc wink.gif

I'm almost positive we won't be using much fx on the mesa (maybe an OD for boosting the input and digital reverb/delay on fx loop) but not sure about the Fender. Since the Fender will be blended to the mesa I guess I'll compansate there but can't be sure of anything until I get my hands on them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:30 PM